FFP (again, apologies)

4 minutes ago, Eastleigh Owl said:

Unfortunately I think you're spot on. I reckon the chairman's back passage has dropped out and FFP is just the nearest large rock to hide behind.

I've said it before and been castigated for it but somethings not quite right.

Seriously, we had this wailing and gnashing of teeth last year. and in the end we got the signings we needed. There's no evidence that we don't intend to strengthen.

3 hours ago, joelswfc said:

Sheff Wed. Owner bit worried about FFP. Big call shortly whether to risk fine.

i can fully understand that...

at the end of last season when the relegation was sorted from the prem, i thought 'aw f***'

newcastle and norwich are gonna be a handful to top in the division...

villa i expect to be around the play off places along with brighton, derby, and god knows who else (wolves new owners reckon to be billionaires, so if their not involved it's still a ticking time bomb for the future)...

if the gaffer is to flout the rules, we HAVE to get up, to avoid the repercussions that could cost us for some time to come to say the least...

and my guess is the odds on us seriously challenging have somewhat altered from what they were in february/march time...

hence us seeing far less transfer activity at s6 that we thought there would be, as also any million spent now, is a million you can't spend next term...

See to me, the lack of transfer activity means nothing right now. Last season we needed a massive overhaul, so early on saw an influx of players early in the wondow, but, the bigger names who went on to do well and be our best players (Fessi, Bannan, etc) didnn't arrive till much later in the transfer window, because, and it will be the same this season, predominantly, championship clubs have to wait to see what the prem clubs squads are and who they are willing to release. So we are waiting for the Prem clubs to buy players, and get their squads sorted so we can see which of our targets are available.

As for Nixon, he was one of the more ITK journos as far as we were concerned when MIlan was here, but, since we got took over he has been less and less informed. WHen was the last time he actually called something right? Whoever his pipeline was, its been closed down.

4 minutes ago, WC1Owl said:

Seriously, we had this wailing and gnashing of teeth last year. and in the end we got the signings we needed. There's no evidence that we don't intend to strengthen.

I'm not wailing or gnashing my teeth and I don't believe everything I'm told, it's spin I tell thee.lol

57 minutes ago, sam1 said:

How can you be happy with mediocrity? It's cost a fortune to watch Wednesday last season, sold nearly 20,000 season tickets we was on TV about 10 times, we made it to Wembley, must of got decent prize money, had 2 kits brought out in 2 years costing a bomb, a rich chairman etc etc etc

And are yet to spend a penny, forget wages that's no excuse for not spending a penny on transfer fees.

Some of you are starting to sound like pigs, blindly accepting a chairman that must make a fortune off them and reluctant to reinvest it.

"And are yet to spend a penny, forget wages that's no excuse for not spending a penny on transfer fees"

One of the most naive things I've ever heard.......you would have been happier paying a inflated fee AND wages for Fletcher, because that would have made us one of the big lads yeah?

Guest Deleted member
15 minutes ago, Eastleigh Owl said:

Unfortunately I think you're spot on. I reckon the chairman's back passage has dropped out and FFP is just the nearest large rock to hide behind.

I've said it before and been castigated for it but somethings not quite right.

I think it's a bit disrespectful to suggest the Chairmans back passage has gone. We are yet to truly see what he's made of

What's becoming clear though is that people are beginning to see thru the gloss, and that's started with the corporate people (who are generally more business savvy than the average fan) and much more likely to speak out and refuse to be bent over for bigger price increases than the average fan.

That's already started, and that will take some time to filter down.

The Chairman needs to take a much less aggressive approach to all of these price increases or he will alienate fans who have stayed loyal thru thin and thin and he will lose the goodwill he's generated

I really don't want that to happen. As he could then decide to bail out, and who knows who we get next....

Edited by Deleted member

2 minutes ago, marcx666 said:

See to me, the lack of transfer activity means nothing right now. Last season we needed a massive overhaul, so early on saw an influx of players early in the wondow, but, the bigger names who went on to do well and be our best players (Fessi, Bannan, etc) didnn't arrive till much later in the transfer window, because, and it will be the same this season, predominantly, championship clubs have to wait to see what the prem clubs squads are and who they are willing to release. So we are waiting for the Prem clubs to buy players, and get their squads sorted so we can see which of our targets are available.

As for Nixon, he was one of the more ITK journos as far as we were concerned when MIlan was here, but, since we got took over he has been less and less informed. WHen was the last time he actually called something right? Whoever his pipeline was, its been closed down.

Completely agree with the first paragraph of this. 

I don't know anything about the quality of Nixon's sources. His record tells me that he is neither worthless nor the golden oracle, but this particular tweet is speculative at most.

I think it is true that Nixon get inside information on transfers etc,

But... on this I'm calling BS. Having read all his tweets on FFP involving us he says we have been deliberating for a week or more (possibly suggesting this as the reason for not signing anyone). If Nixon had known this a week ago he would not have held onto it until now incase someone else reported it.

More likely scenario regarding FFP is that we have our targets but are also wondering about spending big on one.

1 minute ago, Grandad said:

I think it's a bit disrespectful to suggest the Chairmans back page has gone. We are yet to truly see what he's made o

What's becoming clear though is that people are beginning to see thru the gloss, and that's stayed with the corporate people (who are generally more business savvy than the average fan) and much more likely to speak out and refuse to be bent over for bigger price increases than the average fan.

That's already started, and that will take some time to filter down.

The Chairman needs to take a much less aggressive approach to all of these price increases or he will alienate fans who have stayed loyal thru thin and thin and he will lose the goodwill he's generated

I really don't want that to happen. As he could then decide to bail out, and who knows who we get next....

The last thing i'd want would to be disrespectful towards the Chairman, hope he's not reading this, if you are DC i'm sorry.lol

5 minutes ago, WC1Owl said:

it's not a case of us not bringing players in, i think very few of us actually think we won't...

it's the calibre, and number...

perhaps carlos hinted at this in his 'i've made my recommendations, it's down to the negotiators' line...

i immediately thought back to milan and megson 'you wanted him, but we got you this instead' routine...

when carlos started we had a decent defence, and added some good players and improved us...

now that we have to improve on that, the quality of player needed should be higher, and somewhat costlier... 

3 minutes ago, marcx666 said:

This ^

If we're in a similar market as last season for the players we brought in who did the best, such as the players discarded from the top flight, then we just need patience. If we're in that market again, the Fletcher signing suggests we are, then we're waiting on the top flight clubs to bring in quality, so that we can do likewise. I expect around four more quality signings would turn us into a realistic top two contender but they need to be quality and it seems we're smartly waiting like last season to get some more gems and bargains.

Guest Deleted member
1 minute ago, Eastleigh Owl said:

The last thing i'd want would to be disrespectful towards the Chairman, hope he's not reading this, if you are DC i'm sorry.lol

Any more of that and you'll be in the South Pacific freeing sharks from tuna nets...

43 minutes ago, sam1 said:

It's not, if we can't spend a decent bit of money after the season we've just had then God help every other team in the league. Because the likes of Preston who finished in a respectable position won't of generated a fifth of what we did.

Misguided might be kinder. We got bigger crowds under Irvine and Stewy. So even if prices were up, the gross income wasn't necessarily. And the team cost A LOT more. As for the playoffs, a look at the rules indicates that we won't have made a fortune from that, particularly after bonuses etc. http://www.efl.com/global/playoffrules.aspx

2 minutes ago, Milan Missing Marble said:

This ^

If we're in a similar market as last season for the players we brought in who did the best, such as the players discarded from the top flight, then we just need patience. If we're in that market again, the Fletcher signing suggests we are, then we're waiting on the top flight clubs to bring in quality, so that we can do likewise. I expect around four more quality signings would turn us into a realistic top two contender but they need to be quality and it seems we're smartly waiting like last season to get some more gems and bargains.

Also, lets not forget theres even more of a delay because of that Euros thingy that went on lol