FFP (again, apologies)

3 minutes ago, Last_Great_Hope said:

FFP is worked over a 3 year period now, not year to year.

Thought it starts from this season. I might be wrong but im sure somebody posted a link to the new rules on this thread somewhere and when i glanced over it, im sure it said 13mil losses were allowed last season and that the 39mil over 3 seasons starts now. Ill try to find the link and find out

I was told by a Boro fan that owner Steve Gibson pumped in so much money to the club last season (completely breaking the FFP rules) that he got through several pairs of undercrackers during each game in that nervous promotion run-in before they staggered home like a punch-drunk boxer.

3 minutes ago, pickledegghiderman said:

Thought it starts from this season. I might be wrong but im sure somebody posted a link to the new rules on this thread somewhere and when i glanced over it, im sure it said 13mil losses were allowed last season and that the 39mil over 3 seasons starts now. Ill try to find the link and find out

No, you might be right, actually. I need to remind myself of what the rules say. But it doesn't really change anything.

2 minutes ago, S_W_F_C said:

I think the reason for lack of signings is very simple.

To improve our first team significantly is very hard, we have a good team as last season proved.

We are probably looking at just a couple of positions. 

McCormack at the anticipated cost would probably be a 20m outlay, ridiculous sum for somebody with no re-sale value to the club. 

Finding what we are after working under restrictions isn't easy.

It's like ive already said, every champ club is waiting for the prem teams to sort their squads out so they know if their club targets are available or not, same as last season when we got Fessi, Pudil and Bannan late in the window. Add the euros being this summer and theres the answer 

3 minutes ago, pickledegghiderman said:

Yep. 13mil losses allowed for the 2015/16 season. The 39mil 3 year rolling losses starts from the 2016/17 season. Like i said, if we have overspent last season and looks like we could be facing a transfer embargo, then we should just go all out now while we still can. Also not sure as to when the dates start regarding when finances are counted from. The rules clearly state 2016/17 onwards. Maybe we have to wait until the season starts before we can spend any more money???

13 minutes ago, S_W_F_C said:

If so I'm not sure what the panic is?

As big contracts generally last for 3+ years it would be easy to splash out on big deals (plus transfer fees) which see us almost guaranteed to fail FFP before we even get going.

That's an extreme illustration and I'm not suggesting it's the case (especially now the limit has increased) but it does highlight the fact that all things need to be considered sooner not later. I'm glad they are too - an embargo would be disastrous.

3 minutes ago, marcx666 said:

It's like ive already said, every champ club is waiting for the prem teams to sort their squads out so they know if their club targets are available or not, same as last season when we got Fessi, Pudil and Bannan late in the window. Add the euros being this summer and theres the answer 

That's far too sensible for here...the nutjobs prefer to panic it's the OT way

1 minute ago, Sonny said:

As big contracts generally last for 3+ years it would be easy to splash out on big deals (plus transfer fees) which see us almost guaranteed to fail FFP before we even get going.

That's an extreme illustration and I'm not suggesting it's the case (especially now the limit has increased) but it does highlight the fact that all things need to be considered sooner not later. I'm glad they are too - an embargo would be disastrous.

Are some people on here actually saying that DC and his team haven't considered FFP...really? JesusFucking H christ

10 minutes ago, pickledegghiderman said:

[...] Also not sure as to when the dates start regarding when finances are counted from. The rules clearly state 2016/17 onwards. Maybe we have to wait until the season starts before we can spend any more money???

The EFL website, unhelpfully, still has the old rules up, I expect that will be changed when the new season starts.

If the 3 year rolling period is backdated, then we take the last two year's losses away from 39m, and that's our leeway for this season. If we had the maximum "deviations" (plus equity injection) of 6m in 14/15 and 13m in 15/16, that leaves an allowable deviation of 20 million pounds for 16/17.

If it isn't backdated, you could theoretically spunk 39m in one season and then look to balance the books in seasons 2 and 3.

Either way, I can't imagine any situation where we're so paralaysed by fear of FFP that we are unable to make signings.

Do also bear in mind that transfer fees are amortised, so if we buy Ross McCormack for 12m on a 3 year contract, that's only 4m this season.

Edited by WC1Owl

1 minute ago, daveyboy66 said:

Are some people on here actually saying that DC and his team haven't considered FFP...really? JesusFucking H christ

"Why oh why can't Carlos see that we need a left back?!"

5 hours ago, bronxowl said:

Or he could be getting cold feet, doesn't want to go any further

with any investment and try and sell up.

One thing is for sure, summatts not adding up re-new players.

Christ alive,thats quite an assumption to make on a tweet from a journo !!

27 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

I'm surprised that I don't entirely disagree with this.

With the prices and internal hype that's been played out over the last few months, as well as the "whatever it takes, promotion in two seasons" battlecry from Chansiri, we need to be one of the best teams in this division next season. Personally, if we're not one of the top 3 teams on paper in this division come the end of August, we've been failed. Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean in practice that we'll finish in the top 3 or get promoted or even possibly get playoffs, but that's the type of effort I think we need to see.

That is not me saying it cannot be done by the close of the window, as I said previously I only have at most very mild worry at this stage, but it's definitely a case of 'we need to get a move on'

Also note the distinction: I'm not saying if we're not hypothetically a top 3 team Chansiri or anyone at the club is a failure. In the last couple of years this club has been revolutionised into a top Championship club and everyone involved needs to be applauded for that. However, I am saying that if we're not in that position come the end of the window then we have been failed in that "Whatever it takes", " Premier League in two years " and the ticket prices we've had to endure have not been rewarded.

Plenty to do yet, but there's no doubt it can still be done. We just need to get a bit of a move on...

i'm afraid 'the prices we've had to endure' may have been for us to be revolutionised into 'a top championship club'...

21 minutes ago, S_W_F_C said:

That link just doesn't make it clear if you start from this season with a clean slate (or I've missed it)

If it is a clean slate we are fine, if it's not we will have to be very careful.

What is clear is Nixon is talking balls about us risking a fine. Fines only apply, like Bouremouth, if you move out of the Football League and into the prem.

In the FL it's transfer embargo and stay that way until you get your house in order.

i imagine the fine is only used because the fl have no jurisdiction over a team within the fa's division, so thus cannot enforce the transfer embargo...

5 minutes ago, jamiejohn said:

sure  i heard tv money in the  championship goes up by between 6 and 9 million this year surely that will give more leeway regards ffp

Won't be that much of an increase. We got 4.5M in 13/14.

http://swissramble.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/sheffield-wednesday-working-with-fire.html

This analysis of our accounts shows that our turnover was about 14m in 13/14. It won't change that much for 16/17 - maybe a couple of million up.

Edited by WC1Owl

1 hour ago, Eastleigh Owl said:

You just remember where you first heard iy, oh and haven't you changed that avatar yetWTF:

So you're inclined to believe a "journo's tweet",based on what exactly ?

How could he possibly know,the fact he's a journo won't suffice.

I aint Changing my avatar.

I think some people are reading too much into things.   Its disappointing to only have 2 new faces in at this point in time, but we have already seen that over the odds prices won't be paid.   We practically stole the likes of Forestieri and Bannan last season but had to wait for them.

Timing is everything, and you can't obtain something that isn't yet available, which is why I think we will in my opinion start against Villa with Palmer at left back - but I don't imagine he'll play there for long.   The same for Hutchinson at Centre half maybe too.