FFP (again, apologies)

5 hours ago, sam1 said:

We've not even spent anything this season. Sold a shedload of season tickets and memberships at a fortune. Just brought 3 new kits out at extortionate prices and an apparent owner/consortium who could buy Abramovich out with what's in his back pocket. Somethings not adding up for me.

So who told you that our chairman had that much money to spend ? 

4 minutes ago, salmonbones said:

Timing is everything, and you can't obtain something that isn't yet available, which is why I think we will in my opinion start against Villa with Palmer at left back - but I don't imagine he'll play there for long.   The same for Hutchinson at Centre half maybe too.

We cannot start the season with Helan as the only (debatable) left back at the club. Games come too thick and fast early on to allow that to happen

1 minute ago, StudentOwl said:

We cannot start the season with Helan as the only (debatable) left back at the club. Games come too thick and fast early on to allow that to happen

Clearly Palmer is ahead of Helan at left back in CC's mind.

3 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

I would lay money that Pudil will start, if not against Villa, then by game 2 or 3.

1 minute ago, salmonbones said:

Clearly Palmer is ahead of Helan at left back in CC's mind.

Which is why I'm saying Helan cannot be the only left back at the club, because he's being forced to play an (average) right back there

That tells you all you need to know. Starting the season without signing a left back would be nothing short of a travesty in my opinion

4 hours ago, marshy said:

It would certainly explain the lack of signings. But as posted earlier he also stated " we have friends"

He didn't say that. Shortly after everybody was talking about the said "statement" Bullen tweeted that what he actually said was "we have a plan" which has a totally different meaning.

Looks like it's a big signing that Nixon is talking about which with wages included will take us very close to the ffp limit.

Which is why I'm saying Helan cannot be the only left back at the club, because he's being forced to play an (average) right back there

That tells you all you need to know. Starting the season without signing a left back would be nothing short of a travesty in my opinion

The travesty would be paying over the odds.

Everyone including the management team at Hillsborough know we need at very minimum a left back and centre half - but if the difference between buying a month ago, or a few weeks into the new season is a £1m or so, then finances come into play.    People are complaining about ticket prices so why would people not understand the club trying to minimise expenditure on 3 things:-  1) Transfer fee, 2) Agent fee, 3) wages.     All three are killers for this kind of business, and by timing things late you make the selling club and agent more desperate to complete the sale and so will settle for less.

22 minutes ago, BARMYARMY2010 said:

So you're inclined to believe a "journo's tweet",based on what exactly ?

How could he possibly know,the fact he's a journo won't suffice.

I aint Changing my avatar.

I was discussing this with you before the journo tweeted anything and i've reported your avatar to the mods and they'll be in touch with you.WTF:

If Pope is meeting his boss then please excuse.

Could it be that new FFP comes into play on 1st day of new season, that we are borderline on old FFP and are wary of possible sanctions if we breach? Therefore we are holding off until new season kicks in before making signings under new FFP? That would mean we risk targeted players getting snaffled by other clubs etc....maybe one of our primary targets is in danger of being sold before then and the decision we need to make is do we risk sanctions and step over the line, or take our chances and wait till new season kicks in?

I have no understanding of FFP, so I am probably way off.......

2 minutes ago, spike1867 said:

If Pope is meeting his boss then please excuse.

Could it be that new FFP comes into play on 1st day of new season, that we are borderline on old FFP and are wary of possible sanctions if we breach? Therefore we are holding off until new season kicks in before making signings under new FFP? That would mean we risk targeted players getting snaffled by other clubs etc....maybe one of our primary targets is in danger of being sold before then and the decision we need to make is do we risk sanctions and step over the line, or take our chances and wait till new season kicks in?

I have no understanding of FFP, so I am probably way off.......

If it comes into effect on the first day of the season why doesn't it  end on the last day of the previous season?

Edited by daveyboy66

3 minutes ago, salmonbones said:

The travesty would be paying over the odds.

Everyone including the management team at Hillsborough know we need at very minimum a left back and centre half - but if the difference between buying a month ago, or a few weeks into the new season is a £1m or so, then finances come into play.    People are complaining about ticket prices so why would people not understand the club trying to minimise expenditure on 3 things:-  1) Transfer fee, 2) Agent fee, 3) wages.     All three are killers for this kind of business, and by timing things late you make the selling club and agent more desperate to complete the sale and so will settle for less.

I agree paying over the odds would be a travesty, but we're talking about a left back not a striker.

One of the league's best left backs in Jake Bidwell was transferred for £1.5 million. Realistically, no left back will cost more than that, so it seems unlikely that there will be a difference close to the figure of one million you've suggested, realistically it's probably close to half that. There are also 5 league games between now and the end of the window.

Is it wise to gamble 15 points' worth of games (a season changing amount) for somewhere between £500k and a million? Last season showed that even dropping just three points is the difference between promotion and failure.

I'm not saying we are gonna fail at getting a left back in before the start of the season, I like others think we'll get Pudil through the door... But the mere suggestion that we're going to start the season (with many of those games being against who we presume to be promotion rivals) without signing a left back turns my blood to ice

I agree paying over the odds would be a travesty, but we're talking about a left back not a striker.

One of the league's best left backs in Jake Bidwell was transferred for £1.5 million. Realistically, no left back will cost more than that, so it seems unlikely that there will be a difference close to the figure of one million you've suggested, realistically it's probably close to half that. There are also 5 league games between now and the end of the window.

Is it wise to gamble 15 points' worth of games (a season changing amount) for somewhere between £500k and a million? Last season showed that even dropping just three points is the difference between promotion and failure.

I'm not saying we are gonna fail at getting a left back in before the start of the season, I like others think we'll get Pudil through the door... But the mere suggestion that we're going to start the season (with many of those games being against who we presume to be promotion rivals) without signing a left back turns my blood to ice

Go and get a beer ffs lol