Steering Group Meeting Tomorrow

10 hours ago, ViolaOwls said:

I know the chairman wants controversial questions. He's grateful for all the nice support he's had but wants to hear the real issues. Anyone that's going, don't be star struck, just ask away without bottling it up

Absolutely this. We're grateful for you coming on here and getting possible questions from us.

My one plea is to push them on ticket prices without fear and really try to get to the bottom of this big matter for the club.

Do they understand the demographic of the 'average' owls fan?

£42 for the opening game of the season is a massive put off that stops all of the momentum built at the end of last year. That figure will stick in the minds of fans and could impact sales for a couple of months unless there's a huge advertising campaign about the price of subsequent games. 

Opening game on sky, £25 would be sensible even if we're playing good opposition.

Membership was very successful at £30 last season, there's a lot of negativity around the £50 price this year - a follow up point for DC to keep the price topic going. 

Thanks for your input at this meeting, we'll all appreciate it if you can get a meaningful response from the club on these topics, and put forward the honest feelings of many us on here. 

14 hours ago, sheffield_dave said:

..so apart from the shirts and ticket prices..

I REALLY want to know what's happening with the retail store, and the range and quality of stock within it. It's absolutely DIRE at the minute even by our usual standards. To be honest I wondered if it was so bare because we were having a total stock refresh of stuff with the new badge and branding on, but I'd also expect that to have already happened with 3 weeks to go until the season started.

Our entire retail operation feels like a work in progress before a single bit of work has taken place.

This. And it's even worse online. I'm having to rely on my parents visiting to bring me some items up because they are in the shop but, whilst advertised on the online shop aren't actually available to buy!

90% of this meeting has to be about ticket prices. Why is he pricing non season ticket holders out of going? Does he want a half empty stadium?

If he says its "to finance player recruitment", then ask him why Boro, Derby & Brighton (all teams without parachute payments) can do it without fleecing their fans!

Just now, bladeshater said:

Can you pass on the message that a lot of the fans are happy with the way the club is being run

It's a true fact Baz. But he does want to hear the negatives, all he gets is the positives. ( donny B is going and he's my Hp sauce)

1 minute ago, bladeshater said:

Can you pass on the message that a lot of the fans are happy with the way the club is being run

So just to be clear:

You think it's acceptable that POTG fans for a team based in one of the poorest areas of the country pay 68% more than the average first-game price across the Championship? 

Here's my situation and no doubt there will be many 'ST/H-ST,3YR-ST Lofty Perch' OT's who still won't see one jot of an issue but here goes;

440 Miles travel per game = £65 minimum, at 35MPG and £1.10 per litre.

Adult Membership = £50 (10 Home games required to break even)

U11 Membership = £25 (5 Home games required to break even)

Total One Off of £75

Adult, Averaged at Middle Band Cat D £39 (South Stand) - £5 Membership Discount = £34 per Cat D Ticket

U11, Averaged at Middle Band Cat D Average £10 (South Stand) - £5 Membership Discount = £5 per Cat D Ticket

So let’s surmise that my 6 year old son and I attend 10 home games (which is actually unlikely as we tend to only manage a few (Max of 5) at present, not ideal but it is how it is).

£65+ Car Fuel

£39 Cat D Adult Ticket (Re-included the Membership at £5 per game)

£7.50 Cat D U11 Ticket (Re-included the Membership at £2.50 per game)

= £111.50 PER GAME!

£111.50 doesn't sound a lot to many no doubt, but it is still quite an amount per game to many supporters.

In 2014 for e.g. across the UK, the average monthly disposable income was £187 after all major outgoings, down by £38 from 2013.

So Mr Chansiri and football in general, think about the above figures for a moment of still MANY SWFC Supporters, that you are making feel they all of a sudden have no place supporting the club to the end that they're currently able to.

Nobody begrudges you to make money, ultimately profits for your hard work and investment to date. Of course SWFC and football is a business and again most wholeheartedly know that but SWFC is a business that is no different, in that if you alienate enough of a faction of your clientèle; it can have serious long term consequences, of which nobody wants for SWFC.

Fairness should not be a thing consigned to the past.

Slate Away!

Edited by robster_owl

I would ask if the strategy is...

To make as much as possible in the short term by fleecing as many as possible in the hope that the recognised personal DC investment helps to the the PL.

Once in the PL, it will then be a case of foook the lot of you.

Question then would be...

What happens if PL doesn't happen in next few years, like Derby, and what happens then when all but 11-12-13-14-15k of your customers have said foook you back...?

Dear SWFC...

Why do you seem so shiit at running a business...?

Even the exceptionally simple stuff is very poorly managed.

Basic, basic stuff just isn't being done.

Why...?

39 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

So just to be clear:

You think it's acceptable that POTG fans for a team based in one of the poorest areas of the country pay 68% more than the average first-game price across the Championship? 

A lot of fans I know including a few more at yesterday's match are happy with the pricing providing the club is making the progress we are 

Can you please ask him WHY, after spending 60-70 million pound on our football club and turning us into a club that is challenging for a return to the premier league, improving the academy, subjecting us to players like bannan, fletcher and forestieri instead of Paul smith, beswetherick and James o'connor, installing a new quality pitch and scoreboard and grabbing us by the scruff of the neck and dragging us kicking and screaming into the 21st century of the footballing world, WHY he thinks he's got the right to do as he pleases regarding shirts, tickets and whatever else he wants to do. FFS Wednesdayites, aren't there greater concerns the world over. Pack the steering group in and give the money that'd be spent on the night to some who can't afford a ticket. :ph34r:

2 minutes ago, bladeshater said:

A lot of fans I know including a few more at yesterday's match are happy with the pricing providing the club is making the progress we are 

No doubt there are thousands of fans who are happy with pricing this season. But football is a working class, northern born sport, from the heart of a hardworking but ultimately less well off region and our club has a long tradition of fans following the club through thick and mainly thin and even putting our hands in our pockets to fill the coffers of clubs like Rotherham when they were down and thousands of those fans are being priced out of attending games and buying their kids shirts.

There is a divide opening, one set of fans who crave the Premier League at all costs and who are happy to see their neighbour and best mates no longer able to support the club as they wish to as a result of that. But it's nothing new in football now is it?

9 minutes ago, bladeshater said:

So despite 5 other teams doing better than us last season, your opinion is that the Wednesday opening day 'product' is worth 68% more than the average of the rest of the Championship, and 25% more than the next best 'product' this division has to offer in Derby. That's fair enough, if that is your opinion then I cannot and will not attempt to change it. I would argue that objectively, removing all pride for Wednesday and looking at it purely from a 'product' perspective (Because of course, every club's fans will feel strong loyalty and support for their club), the Wednesday product is not worth two-thirds more than the average Championship product. But, you have your own opinion, and that's important and I can't say your opinion is wrong, so I will not. However...

I'll ask my initial question again- because it''s not whether you're content with it or not, it's whether you think it is an acceptable thing to do (A simple yes/no answer will suffice):

Do you think it is acceptable that POTG fans for a team based in one of the poorest areas of the country pay 68% more than the average first-game price? 
EDIT: and I'll add on an extra caveat here: We're also charging 25% more than Derby, who arguably are at the same level we are right now. 

Edited by StudentOwl

2 minutes ago, bladeshater said:

We don't need to charge the prices we do in order to make progress, though.

I posted similar to this in another thread, but it seems relevant here, too:

Middlesbrough's most expensive pay on the day ticket was £34 last season. How were they able to build a promotion-winning side by charging so little compared to us if charging fans an arm and a leg is the only way to make progress?

We had six matches where fans were charged more than £40 last season.

The average price of a South Stand match day ticket was £36.65. This is more expensive than 14 other Championship clubs' absolute most expensive match day ticket (ours was £46, though we're now using the £49 option for the Villa game). It's also more expensive than the average of all other Championship clubs' absolute most expensive match day ticket, which was £35.76.

As a matter of course, Wednesday fans are now being charged more than the highest price that fans of most other Championship clubs can be asked to pay for their biggest games of the season.

The club don't have to charge the prices they do. Other teams in our division don't. Other teams who have won promotion out of our division didn't.