Stadiums under construction thread

Just feels like capitalising on momentum to me.

Stockport have been and gone but come back and are really competing at the minute. They're on a massive upward swing and this just looks like backing themselves to make the most of it. Combination of better football and new facilities will bring people in. Get the ticketing right and the aim is probably to offer a good live football experience to all that support on their doorstep that just watches City on the telly.

• Like 1

Birmingham City look like they're moving and building a new stadium.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/czvz9141wpzo

Their American backers have probably realised that the dump that is St.Andrews is not fit for purpose and will hold them back.

Tin hat on but I feel we also need to move to a modern stadium for the 21st century. Also somewhere we can develop to give us the commercial opportunities needed these days to progress as a club.

This would only happen under a nee owner/owners of course. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Their American backers have probably realised that the dump that is St.Andrews is not fit for purpose and will hold them back.

Tin hat on but I feel we also need to move to a modern stadium for the 21st century. Also somewhere we can develop to give us the commercial opportunities needed these days to progress as a club.

Birmingham City have always underperformed considering they are the second club of the second city. With the right owners they  have huge potential

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

It's strange that they've spent quite a bit a cash on to St Andrews over the last few years to then move on less than a mile away.

Having said that, it'll take 5-7 years before the ground is finished.

We're fizzed aren't we. We must be one of the last clubs in the league to have developed any part of their ground if not moved in the 92 now. 1995 last time we did anything positive? I don't consider reducing capacity due to SAG positive!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TheGaffer said:

We're fizzed aren't we. We must be one of the last clubs in the league to have developed any part of their ground if not moved in the 92 now. 1995 last time we did anything positive? I don't consider reducing capacity due to SAG positive!

Yep, it used to be one of the best stadiums in the county, now it’s a relic.

Just like everything else in football, it’s an area where we are getting left behind. 

Im all for nostalgia, but I bet if you gave the likes of City the option of winning trophies every year, or watching 3rd division football from the Kippax, I know what most would choose. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Miffed said:

Yep, it used to be one of the best stadiums in the county, now it’s a relic.

Just like everything else in football, it’s an area where we are getting left behind. 

Im all for nostalgia, but I bet if you gave the likes of City the option of winning trophies every year, or watching 3rd division football from the Kippax, I know what most would choose. 

Just to put this in context and off the the top of my head, clubs that have improved or moved since we last did .

Pigs, Barnsley, Rotherham, Doncaster, chesterfield, west brom, Birmingham, Preston, Stockport, Luton, Rushden and diamonds, Gillingham, Millwall, forest,  county, derby, Leicester, Blackburn, Wigan, hull, Swansea, Cardiff, Bristol City, Plymouth, Watford, Sunderland.... I'm going to stop there. 

There's 10s more. 

What makes it that we can't? I've asked this before and the response was premier league money. The majority of the of the above have never played in premier league, certainly not for more than a year, what makes it that we don't invest in infrastructure?

1 hour ago, TheGaffer said:

Just to put this in context and off the the top of my head, clubs that have improved or moved since we last did .

Pigs, Barnsley, Rotherham, Doncaster, chesterfield, west brom, Birmingham, Preston, Stockport, Luton, Rushden and diamonds, Gillingham, Millwall, forest,  county, derby, Leicester, Blackburn, Wigan, hull, Swansea, Cardiff, Bristol City, Plymouth, Watford, Sunderland.... I'm going to stop there. 

There's 10s more. 

What makes it that we can't? I've asked this before and the response was premier league money. The majority of the of the above have never played in premier league, certainly not for more than a year, what makes it that we don't invest in infrastructure?

The majority of those clubs HAVE played in the Premier League for more than a year.

They’re not all great examples though, are they? Since making improvements, County and Chesterfield have lost their league status, Leicester and Wigan have gone into admin, and Rushden & Diamonds have closed and their stadium has been demolished. And Millwall’s rebuild was prior to our last improvements anyway.

Much as we need improvements, it’s not as pressing a need as it was for some of those clubs. Some were on the verge of having their grounds condemned, and others outgrew their existing homes.

Shabby as Hillsborough is, it’s not about to be closed down and we rarely sell out even with reduced capacity.

• Thanks 1

Just now, punkskaphil said:

The majority of those clubs HAVE played in the Premier League for more than a year.

They’re not all great examples though, are they? Since making improvements, County and Chesterfield have lost their league status, Leicester and Wigan have gone into admin, and Rushden & Diamonds have closed and their stadium has been demolished. And Millwall’s rebuild was prior to our last improvements anyway.

Much as we need improvements, it’s not as pressing a need as it was for some of those clubs. Some were on the verge of having their grounds condemned, and others outgrew their existing homes.

Shabby as Hillsborough is, it’s not about to be closed down and we rarely sell out even with reduced capacity.

The majority haven't 12 out of 23 to make it easy, unless I've missed one.

As regards league stays, you are reinforcing my point, and why I avoided premier league clubs in my initial "off the top of my head" count . Those clubs can and have developed grounds/infrastructure DESPITE being on the premier league.

Let's nots forget, also, Leicester have won the TOP division, played in the champions league, won the fa cup, won the league cup ( at our ground) since we did anything to improve it. Wigan have also had promotion from the bottom tier annnnnnnd won the fa cup since we improved our ground last. 

Millwall reached an fa cup semi / final?

What's your point?

On 31/07/2023 at 06:07, danblakemore said:

Grimsby Town 

IMG_8291.jpeg

See-through roof or just grey? Surely they've not made the roof see-though, but then why paint it misery cloud grey?

11 minutes ago, TheGaffer said:

What's your point?

I thought it was fairly clear. Many of those clubs had a more desperate need to improve/move than we have, and many have had to go through extremely dire situations since making those improvements/moves. Some have been lucky and also had success, but most haven’t.

And I make it 13 clubs out of your 23 that have had more than a single season in the prem, but maybe I’ve miscounted.

My point about Millwall was that it shouldn’t be in your list because their stadium move was before we last improved Hillsborough, and you seemed quite clear that it was a list of improvements since we last made any.

18 hours ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Agree. 

17 hours ago, TheGaffer said:

Man City 

Arsenal 

Tottenham

Everton

West Ham Utd

Clubs as big as us, if not bigger. 

Some moved to increase capacity,  but all realised the facilities were not fit for purpose anymore. 

It would be very sad and emotional if we ever left Hillsborough, but there isn't anything special or sacred about us. It wouldn't be unreasonable for us to have a new ground built at some stage if the funding was there. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, punkskaphil said:

There's a massive shock coming for Wednesday fans, especially those that sit in the north.

58 minutes ago, FattyOwl72 said:

There's a massive shock coming for Wednesday fans, especially those that sit in the north.

You beat me to it.

I don't come on here professing to be ITK and never have but I have heard a worrying amount about this. One of those things I heard and sort of filed away hoping it was b*llocks, but worries me a bit more every time I see someone else mention it on here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sheffield_dave said:

You beat me to it.

I don't come on here professing to be ITK and never have but I have heard a worrying amount about this. One of those things I heard and sort of filed away hoping it was b*llocks, but worries me a bit more every time I see someone else mention it on here.

What I've seen of it seemed to originate on a blades forum from somebody claiming to be "ITK" so I took it with a pinch of salt. But then again they seem to be more interested and knowledgeable about Wednesday than their own club so there may be something in it.

56 minutes ago, alanharper said:

What I've seen of it seemed to originate on a blades forum from somebody claiming to be "ITK" so I took it with a pinch of salt. But then again they seem to be more interested and knowledgeable about Wednesday than their own club so there may be something in it.

Yeah just like when they told us about Hillsborough being built on that old pig farm lol

14 hours ago, FattyOwl72 said:

Is there a RACC issue? 

On 28/03/2024 at 00:37, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Where would you suggest a new stadium should be built

Our ground is reasonably convenient to reach by public transport. Where is there a suitable alternative site?

The bones of  the old lady are still good although I think we could improve the Leppings Lane end