2 signings today

Guest Ellis Rimmer

How many of them Watford lads had played in England before last year?

which ones did they pay peanuts for from foreign 2nd tiers

If a foreign team has a decent player they'll want decent money for him.

If a British team has a decent player they'll want decent money for him.

Difference is in the details of "decent money". We signed a player from a club in the top division of it's country yesterday for reportedly £500k. Fulham are reportedly paying £3.5m for a second division player.

It's lunacy. And it's also no guarantee of success. Fulham paid £11m for a British player last summer and weren't far off going down.

Guest Gazzaswfc

What about gettin Nilsson in as manager he won league for malmo he's out of work surprised he's not been talked about . I know this as nothing to do with this 2 singing thread before you say Owt lol

Just a thought but if we are getting a foreign coach he will be wanting to play a foreign type of game therefore it makes sense to buy players who are used to playing that type of football.

For the record I don't mind going into the foreign market, as long as they are good enough to take us to the next level.

But we aren't going to suddenly start playing like Barcelona because we've signed a player from the German second division.

A player like McGugan not only has experience at this level but has performed for us before. Need to sign him up.

Yep.

It's about balance. We have a solid spine in place and I wouldn't mind some foreign flair for a better price.

But when you look at the teams going for promotion, there is some good and proven talent in there. You have to have that balance and if we want a striker I think we should be looking to spend some money on someone in this country. Hopefully the Chris wood rumours are true.

How many of them Watford lads had played in England before last year?

Using Watford as an example is easy.

They got players through their connections and a number of their players knew each other and played with each other before. It still took them 3 years to get out of the division.

But if you are good enough you are good enough and should be able to perform at this level. Doesn't matter if you are based in the domestic leagues or abroad.

My concern is that we are signing cheap players from abroad. You still have to pay good money for good quality in the foreign markets. If that wasn't the case every team in this division would be full of foreign players.