2 signings today

Not bashing English players - bashing the English Football System.

I for one want good quality English players to be developed so that we can be a force once again in the Champions League and at a national level. However, the league and development system at present does not allow for good English talent to progress in a way that will enable them to compete with our European neighbours such as Spain, Italy and Germany.

In relation to Wednesday, I am willing to give foreign players ago because their quality is generally higher than those already in the English league, and they are a damn sight cheaper.

There was a discussion on the radio the other day about this. What was said is that to buy decent home grown players you have to pay inflated fees along with inflated wages so abroad is getting more inviting for clubs. Also quite a bit about young players being paid far too much

Guest Ellis Rimmer

I was gonna say you need a bit of luck with the foreign signings like Southampton with Schneiderlin but then I looked him up and he cost them over 1M, and had only played for Strasbourg 5 times. O/T would go nuts if we made that signing!

The bottom line is a fanbase our opinions are so polarised it's untrue.

Nuhiu's a decent player, No he's sh!te. Helan's got potential, don't talk b*ll*cks. Give Roeder a chance, he might just be good at what he's been brought here to do, F**k that, he's done s*d all wherever he's been.

Just a selection of some of the opinions you get on here. That said this is a site where opinions are part and parcel of what makes this site the place it is. You're never going to get people to completely agree on one particular subject and that's perfectly understandable. My argument is there's never any common ground, no grey areas amidst the arguments. It's either good or bad, no in between and IMO this is why as a fanbase we'll always argue the to$$ and perhaps indirectly play a part in perhaps stopping the club realise it's full potential because we just aren't prepared to give certain players, certain managers/head coaches, certain club decisions/structures/committees a fair chance to perhaps prove some of us wrong or indeed right?

Yep. Loads of binary thinking when in fact a middle ground is usually more accurate. Gets to the point when you can't be sceptical about something without being denounced as willing us to fail, or even worse, a pig. 

Guest Ellis Rimmer

I am sure we could come up with a list of poor British based signings also but don't you worry we'll just focus on those you've listed there.

In reality it all depends on the quality of the scouting.  I am not sure how confident I am in Roeder but I will give the chap a chance because he has signed some decent players in his management career. We will just have to wait and see whether the players we sign can cut it in the English League. We're not exactly complaining about Loovens, Helan, Semedo, Melo, Nuhiu etc.

are we not lol

you ever been on this site before?

There was a discussion on the radio the other day about this. What was said is that to buy decent home grown players you have to pay inflated fees along with inflated wages so abroad is getting more inviting for clubs. Also quite a bit about young players being paid far too much

Rumours that Chelsea youngsters are on £20k per week.  Ridiculous money for a teenager to be paid.

1. Tidman

2. Cobian

4. Blondeau

6. Pecnik

7. Esajas

8. Jonk

9. De Bilde

10. Olsen

11. Lekaj

Let's raid the foreign market for more talent like this!

There is a long list of attackers that coudl've been selected

We've not done bad with defenders so maybe just stick to foreigners in defence?

1. Brad Jones

2. John Beswetherick

3. Guy Branston

4. Chris Carr

5. Dean Smith

6. Paul McClaren

7. Paul Smith

8. Terry Cooke

9. Adam Proudlock

10. Jon Shaw

11. Robbie Mustoe

Let's raid the British market for more talent like this!

I mean, if we've reduced this discussion to dumb lists and games then let's go all the way with it.

I was gonna say you need a bit of luck with the foreign signings like Southampton with Schneiderlin but then I looked him up and he cost them over 1M, and had only played for Strasbourg 5 times. O/T would go nuts if we made that signing!

But that's a good point, even young talent in France or Spain will cost you, fair enough, not as much as young England talent, but good players generally cost money.

1. Brad Jones

2. John Beswetherick

3. Guy Branston

4. Chris Carr

5. Dean Smith

6. Paul McClaren

7. Paul Smith

8. Terry Cooke

9. Adam Proudlock

10. Jon Shaw

11. Robbie Mustoe

I mean, if we've reduced this discussion to dumb lists and games then let's go all the way with it.

Brad Jones is Australian.  :manager:

1. Brad Jones

2. John Beswetherick

3. Guy Branston

4. Chris Carr

5. Dean Smith

6. Paul McClaren

7. Paul Smith

8. Terry Cooke

9. Adam Proudlock

10. Jon Shaw

11. Robbie Mustoe

I'd have had Stevie May instead of Jon Shaw, that's a better example

Rumours that Chelsea youngsters are on £20k per week.  Ridiculous money for a teenager to be paid.

Not a rumour mate Jason Cundy was asked on Talksport a few weeks ago and he said most are on more than that

Guest Ellis Rimmer

1. Brad Jones

2. John Beswetherick

3. Guy Branston

4. Chris Carr

5. Dean Smith

6. Paul McClaren

7. Paul Smith

8. Terry Cooke

9. Adam Proudlock

10. Jon Shaw

11. Robbie Mustoe

The thing is, most of the players we signed from abroad may have made that team.

Err we arent going to sign the best English or European talent as were Sheffield Wednesday who finished mid table in the Championship last season lets just trust the guys at the club to do there job as generally they will no better than us on Owlstalk.

I know, take Watford out of consideration, the best foreign imports to this division have cost 1 million plus. Knockaert and Mahrez at Leicester just examples. You pay for quality at the end of the day, yeah you may pick up the odd bargain. But I highly doubt Lachman was signed for millions.

Guest Ellis Rimmer

It's not like Football manager where you can sign To Madeira for 10k and him be quality. If a foreign team has a decent player they'll want decent money for him.

I know, take Watford out of consideration, the best foreign imports to this division have cost 1 million plus. Knockaert and Mahrez at Leicester just examples. You pay for quality at the end of the day, yeah you may pick up the odd bargain. But I highly doubt Lachman was signed for millions.

Fair comment.  And this is where I hope that our Sporting Director by Committee are sensible and realise that whilst shopping abroad may be cheaper you still need to splash the cash to buy good quality.  

Let's hope they're not solely looking at players they find at the weekly Albufeira market.

Edited by devonshire_owl