2 signings today

But what if one of those English players is better than one of the European players?

Then he'll end up warming a bench in the PL until he's stagnated and lost interest enough to slide down the leagues

Simple they will bring in who they will. I seriously dislike the committee, however we have to see what these players are like before we judge them. Sometimes gems can be found. If not then I think the committee should be scrapped and hope DC doesn't say I'm not spending money anymore as Milan did after paying out a small amount after each new manager came in. I still wonder if we will have changes in the committee or system and coaches before it works at all. Including player turn over. Thing is the disjointed management of half a football side don't just use a head coach as a scapegoat to save their skins. Accountability for all from DC to the coach.

The obvious reason to go for McGugan, is that we already know he fits into the team. It's not a gamble in that respect ... Although we don't know if Roeder, Carvalhal, Cooper or Klopp rate him

If we can't afford high 6 figures / low 7 figures for McGugan, then fair enough ... No need to turn into jilted brides though 

Guest Ellis Rimmer

BTW even though it's got nothing to do with the England side who Wednesday sign, why is there so little credit for England's unbeaten qualifying season, and we're not even the highest seeded team in the group! Loads of the team could've played for the 21s too, so we have a young, winning, England side and people talk like they're $hit on a shoe!

Clearly missing my point which I can't be arsed to explain.

God knows why you're banging on about the England national side and a point which is painfully obvious and doesn't need explaining again. 

I haven't solely referenced the England National side.  Our domestic teams also struggle in Europe as per last years Champions League campaign.

We totally need to broaden our horizons.  I would agree that we need to supplement any European signings with players with English League experience, it makes sense, but this Kisch (if true) could be as good as McGugan given the chance.  It's totally unfair to write a player off based on the fact that he has not played in the English League before.

Our game / league is very different to the European game / leagues, but that is exactly the reason why English football is lagging behind.   

It's weird how McGugan's reputation keeps on growing and growing on here. Anyone would think it was a world class player we are talking about. As a fan base we like to get fixated on signing certain players.

So, people want us to sign players who we know will be good? Bleedin madness!

Don't think anyone is doubting McGugan's quality for us last season.  But it's a matter of finance.  I asked the question a couple of pages back to posters complaining about McGugan not having signed yet, what price would you pay for him?

If its true that he's had a wage rise upon Watford's promotion (which isn't that far-fetched), then he'll be on quite a decent wage I'd imagine.  If Watford are also holding out for a decent fee (which for a player with 1 year left in his contract is also harsh), then its not difficult to see why he's not gone anywhere yet. 

Personally, I think he'll end up somewhere on loan late August / early September.  It may just depend if we have signed a creative midfielder by that point to whether he comes back here or not.  

Someone best contact Man Utd, Memphis Depay is clearly going to be a shambles because he has never played in the English League before!! Ridiculous.

The Italian U21 Team would be considered to be cheap compared to the England U21 Team (Kane valued at £30m), but hey the English players are better because they play in the English league. I really wish people would wake up and realise that actually we're no where near as good as people think we are.

Gary Neville got it right when he said that our league is a great brand, but isn't a strong league.  As evidenced by our teams' woeful performances in European competitions and England's pathetic attempts at the World Cup and Euros.

HELLO - Is it just me that see's that the English are drowning in this mythical arrogance that the English League is the best in the world!?

The English league is the best in the world but not because of English players.  You can't really say either that English teams haven't done well in Europe ouver the least few years either. In the last 15 years we have had 3 different teams win the champs league. More than any other country.

The problem is that this is mainly down to foreign players.

English players are over rated though and over priced just as you suggest. I don't have any problem with signing foreign players as the majority  of the best players in my life time that we've had have all best non- British.

Guest Ellis Rimmer

I haven't solely referenced the England National side.  Our domestic teams also struggle in Europe as per last years Champions League campaign.

We totally need to broaden our horizons.  I would agree that we need to supplement any European signings with players with English League experience, it makes sense, but this Kisch (if true) could be as good as McGugan given the chance.  It's totally unfair to write a player off based on the fact that he has not played in the English League before.

Our game / league is very different to the European game / leagues, but that is exactly the reason why English football is lagging behind.   

1. He 'could' be as good as McGugan given the chance, but I also 'could' be given the chance. But I probably wouldn't be.

2. Nobody had written him off soley based on him playing abroad

Edited by Ellis Rimmer

The obvious reason to go for McGugan, is that we already know he fits into the team. It's not a gamble in that respect ... Although we don't know if Roeder, Carvalhal, Cooper or Klopp rate him

If we can't afford high 6 figures / low 7 figures for McGugan, then fair enough ... No need to turn into jilted brides though 

Agreed.  People aren't saying he's not good enough though, more would a deal for him represent good value?  

So on that note, you might have missed me asking you a couple of pages ago (easily done), what price would you say would be reasonable for him? 

Turning into another lets bash English players thread. Been plenty of them on owlstalk

Not bashing English players - bashing the English Football System.

I for one want good quality English players to be developed so that we can be a force once again in the Champions League and at a national level. However, the league and development system at present does not allow for good English talent to progress in a way that will enable them to compete with our European neighbours such as Spain, Italy and Germany.

In relation to Wednesday, I am willing to give foreign players ago because their quality is generally higher than those already in the English league, and they are a damn sight cheaper.

Edited by devonshire_owl

I understand and agree with you.

This Polish guy may well turn out to be better than McGugan, but it is still a cheap gamble which can go either way.

If you sign a player like McGugan who has played for us before, knows the area, scored goals at this level, has experience at this level and who we know is capable of delivering- i'd much rather go for McGugan over the cheap foreigner.

At the end of the day if the player is good enough they should play, doesn't matter where they come from or whatever. But I do believe it would be safer to sign proven quality at this level to try and get promoted, albeit it is more expensive. 

Unless we are spending millions on foreign talent, cheap foreign signings in the hope they will come off in my opinion is a risky strategy and not one which will guarantee success.