Lee Hughes

Even if we don't sign him, it does sound as though we've at least made a serious enquiry.

If this enquiry was made after the Madine signing does it mean then that we're after a fifth striker, or would Heffernan be on his way?

Irrespective of the controversy of signing a player like Hughes, if all this is true then I'm just surprised at Irvine's continuing attitude towards Heffernan, a player that he only brought to the club in the summer.

It makes me wonder about the detailed research that Irvine is supposed to conduct on all his signings; has Heffernan turned out to be a different type of player to the one that he thought he would be?

I think Heffernans fvcked Irvines daughter or something similar

He was never charged with murder was he? Death by dangerous driving is a different thing. He went to prison afterall.

Its a iffy subject and he's always going to be a controversial player but its all about the pros and cons.

Pros-

Bully of a striker who would get goals undoubtedly

Would give us a more "nasty" edge and teams would fear playing us a little more

Like Mellor he has the ability to bounce defenders around and make chances for himself

Cons-

There are questions over his character, seems like a bully on and off the pitch

We would need to pay a fee and big wages for a 34 year old player

Some fans would be really against the signing (as shown in this thread already)

Would he be able to pass AI's due diligence tests? I would imagine he would want to speak to John Sheridan!

On the whole it doesnt seem worth the hassle and the cost. He would be good enough for us and would get goals, but I think our current strikers all have the ability to get 15 goals each at least. Why upset the apple cart?

Lee Hughes is one of the best finishers outside of the Premiership and has been for his entire career. The spell of porridge he did seems to have physically done him good - remember he has played less than most 34 year olds have.

As an impact player to come off the bench and get us a goal I can think of no-one better who is in our budget.

The only thing that has disgusted me is the attitude on here!!!

He was convicted of a crime, now it may be that really the only crime was to have been a coward and run away! Someone died in a car accident, this happens every day!! Do the survivors go to prison? No!

He was convicted of causing death by dangerous driving and recieved a long sentence for the time based upon who he was!

He did not go out to kill someone that evening, this really could happen to anyone who, for whatever reason, loses control of a vehicle momentarily and hits another!

Even if you disagree with all the above, the fact of the matter is, he has recieved his punishment as required by law, who are you to decide that his punishment wasn't enough?

That all said, he's too old and we don't want him!

Finally the voice of reason. He has served his punishment and done his time.

I don't want us to sign him though. I would have had him to replace Clarke, Jeffers etc at the end of last season but not now.

I'm trying to ignore the rumours. but must admit, I'm a little worried about this one, and if true I can only see a striker leaving (most likely Heffernan).

Surely the most important signing is a centre midfielder, and I hope we are focusing most of our efforts on finding one.

On 1 July 2010, Hughes signed a one-year extension to his contract that would see him at County until the summer of 2012. In an interview on the club's official website, Hughes said that he loved the city and the club and declared that he would "love" to end his career there.

Good

flipping stay there.

On the whole it doesnt seem worth the hassle and the cost. He would be good enough for us and would get goals, but I think our current strikers all have the ability to get 15 goals each at least. Why upset the apple cart?

I think this would best sum up my thinking on this also.

If we preparing for another season in this division I would perhaps see greater sense in it.

And how many years can he possibly have left in him anyway?

Guest intercity0wl

Mandaric probably looks at it this way..be moral and not sign a 20 a goal season striker, or forget about that and sign him. Bear in mind we're a massive investment, he'll want to speed getting promoted up etc, and this is the man to do it, he'll think screw morals!

Exactly i sometimes wonder if MM thinks he has done the right thing investing in us with some of the comments on here from people taking the moral high ground.

This is a the real world with real people, not Melchester Rovers with imaginery characters, and in this real world people make mistakes and make the wrong choices and in the real world these people have to pay for these errors and continue to live with the consequences for the rest of their own lives not just while serving the penalty decided upon buy the legal system.

Get off your moral high horses, what he did was wrong he knows that as well as we do, but as i was always try to remember when coming to any decision regarding issues like this, THERE BUT FOR THE GRACE OF GOD GO I.

Would love to see master goalscorer Hughes knocking in goals for us while annoying the hellout of opposition supporters the way he did to our following at County earlier this season.

Surely the most important signing is a centre midfielder, and I hope we are focusing most of our efforts on finding one.

I've seen lots of links in the media to strikers, defenders, and wide midfielders this January - but not a single one to a central midfielder.

I don't recall Irvine saying he's specifically after a central midfielder either, I've only heard him say he's after a midfielder.

It does worry me. I personally feel there's an argument for two new centre mids, never mind just one.

Hes a natural finisher.... but we already have Mellor, Morrison and Heffernan who all know where the net is, strong with their back to goals and all lack raw pace.

I wouldn't be looking at Hughes at this stage, not when Mandaric has said from the off that we are building a team of players that can develop as the club moves forward.

Subtle as a sledge hammer. :biggrin:

Hasn't been a problem so far, I reckon we've missed out on a few because we're in League 1 though.

FG and Donny.

I wasn't suggesting anything, I was merely thinking aloud.

What might be stopping the bigger names we were talking about (from higher / foreign leagues) from joining us?

Or maybe we'll see these type of players on top of what we've signed so far as we approach the transfer deadline?

It's just seems strange that MM promised players from higher leagues and abroad when we're signing players from other Div 1 clubs.

Not complaining about the quality at all, all seem good players so far, but not exactly Ronseal are they?

Guest intercity0wl

Hes a natural finisher.... but we already have Mellor, Morrison and Heffernan who all know where the net is, strong with their back to goals and all lack raw pace.

I wouldn't be looking at Hughes at this stage, not when Mandaric has said from the off that we are building a team of players that can develop as the club moves forward.

At the moment i would hazard a guess he is only interested in Building a team to get promoted out of this division and compete at Championship level at which point he can strenghen again, Hughes is a better goalscorer than anything we have at the club at the minuten imo an would make all the difference between drawing games or winning games.

Guest Briscoe Inferno

Why is he buying more and more strikers ffs?

WE NEED MIDFIELDERS!!

I do wonder whether Irvine either thinks having a midfield is a waste of time or he can't put a decent one together.

Strange if true.

4:1:5 anyone?