Oooooh it's a corner!

3 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

There was a time when the site owner didn't need to create topics if his own to generate discussion.

This is where members effectively cancelling others gets you.

Maybe if posters weren't hateful/racist they wouldn't get cancelled....

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

We’ve clearly been told to hit the corners to the front post, I’m convinced a pro player wouldn’t be doing that consistently without being told.

If we are 6th most for expected goals from them it would suggest poor finishing. This is an issue across the board.

Lowest scorers for a reason.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cpt_Hatstand said:

Except we've created the 6th most expected goals in the Championship from corners, so they're probably pretty good.

The fact is that corners are a very low percentage chance of a goal

Don't need XG stats (which presumably count a ball bouncing off one of our player's head 15 yards over the bar as a successfully completed corner and a goal attempt) to tell me how good or bad our corners are, I use my own eyes to see that we very rarely even look threatening from a corner let alone nearly score from one.  We do seem to concede more than our fair share of goals headed directly from a corner at the other end though.

Even when we had Aiden Flint who seemed to win most of his duels from corners (that actually got as far as him!) and has a decent career record of scoring from them, for some reason Moore mainly used him on the far post to try and nod it back rather than sticking him in front of goal to have a go.

• Like 1

We are poor at corners and set plays...

Many years ago I had the job of taking corners......was always told....to drive the ball between the six yard box n penalty spot..... obviously in the air....

Keepers hated it.....as everyone have sed....very often we dnt beat the first man 😞

Don't think it's just us. I've never understood ANY football fan getting carried away with a corner. So much sh*thousery goes on in the box nowadays, and if you so much as look at the keeper its a freekick.  I'd like to see the stats for the whole 4 divisions on how many goals are scored as a direct result of a corner. A bet very few. 

3 hours ago, SouthernOwl24 said:

Have thought our corners have been terrible for ages. During play BB can pinpoint a pass but on set pieces his kicking seems really weak. Love BB think hes great but corners are shocking - he cannot seem to get the height. Then when he went off the other game Vaulks (I think) was on them and he was worse. I actually thought the two/ three near post corners from Vaulks was a ploy to get Plymouth to commit to that corner freeing up space for a corner later on but that seems so farfetched. 

Need to keep it simple in my opinion - all defenders around 8 yards out and stick it in the middle. After we master the simple ones lets go for the complicated ones. Change corner taker - someone on here mentioned Johnson which could be a good idea but not seen him. 

Marvin Johnson took his first corner for the club v Plymouth at home. 

It was the best corner I have seen from a Wednesday player for at least 5 years. Next game nowhere near corners.

Shocking. 

Not just corners it’s throw ins, free kicks set pieces in general. We are terrible if anyone needs a set piece coach it’s us.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Rodger Wylde said:

Corners. They’re a facet of football where there’s an almost inexplicable amount of excitement generated upon winning one, especially when considering only between 3-4% of them end as a goal – well below the average conversion of, say, a penalty kick (76%), right?

A quote that gets relayed in nearly every corner-kick analysis feature, but worth reiterating again, is José Mourinho’s infamous line: “How many countries can you think of where a corner kick is treated with the same applause as a goal? One. It only happens in England. This is the only place where a corner kick is as good as a goal for the fans.”

It's more that the team is in an attacking position and the cheering/clapping is to gee/spur the players on that bit more. It's nothing to do with expecting a decent chance to come of it.

I don’t think our set piece delivery is that bad and xg stats seem to back that up but the fact we’ve such a low number of goals from midfield and in particular centre back really tells a story. Even last season when we were racking up 96 points the likes of Iorfa, Ihiekwe, Flint, Famewo, Heneghan and McGuinness barely registered a goal between them. 

When I think back to promotion teams of the past and players like Smith, Lyons, Sterland, Pearson, Jones and Bullen would score quite frequently it’s something that was notable for its absence last season and certainly still is this.

Edited by paulrs
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, paulrs said:

I don’t think our set piece delivery is that bad and xg stats seem to back that up but the fact we’ve such a low number of goals from midfield and in particular centre back really tells a story. Even last season when we were racking up 96 points the likes of Iorfa, Ihiekwe, Flint, Famewo, Heneghan and McGuinness barely registered a goal between them. 

When I think back to promotion teams of the past and players like Smith, Lyons, Sterland, Pearson, Jones and Bullen would score quite frequently it’s something that was notable for its absence last season and certainly still is this.

Yep.

And more recently, Reda Johnson & Miguel Llera.

It was almost expected we'd score from a set piece when they were playing,

Maybe bring Megson back as set piece coach? :ph34r:

Edited by Buck Rogers
  • Like 1

Whatever happened to our MASSIVE defenders actually making runs to meet the ball around the box instead of shirt pulling and wrestling with the other defenders and then seeing the ball sail over the top of everyone ? 

I've thought this for a while - our corners are fair-to-middling most of the time, but the players attacking them don't seem to have a clue how to head the ball. Ihiekwe, Bambo & Bernard have never scored for us, Famewo's got one for us (and two in his whole career). I feel like Ihiekwe probably is the best at attacking a cross, but he does tend to have a 50p head that sends it anywhere. The rest often don't seem to attack the cross well.

Compare to this line-up from 2012 (vs Leyton Orient) to now. Pretty much every one of our players from then towers over their equivalent from now - even if the players now are as tall as the ones then - the way someone like Antonio, Reda or Rob Jones attacked crosses was a different level.

Bywater (Beadle)

Buxton (Valentín)

Rob Jones (Ihiekwe)

Miguel Llera (Bernard)

Reda Johnson (Marvin Johnson)

Jermain Johnson (Poveda)

Semedo (Vaulks)

Lines (Bannan)

Antonio (Musaba)

O'Grady (Cadamarteri)

Madine (Ugbo)

Not sure I'd fancy the 2012 teams chances on the ground mind....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Geörge Whitebread said:

If we don't sort this out, we might as well just let them have a goal kick and start again. 

So true. We are less likely to concede straight from their goal kick than straight from our corner.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Yeh I read that - does that mean we're simply not finishing the chances when they get sent in?

I watched Bannan's corners in the last match and they were really good/dangerous but no players came steaming in to finish them

Id hazard a guess that its both.

Lets be honest, BB's corners are not great. But a great ball into a dangerous area can look poor when no one reads it. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, alanharper said:

Don't need XG stats (which presumably count a ball bouncing off one of our player's head 15 yards over the bar as a successfully completed corner and a goal attempt) to tell me how good or bad our corners are, I use my own eyes to see that we very rarely even look threatening from a corner let alone nearly score from one.  We do seem to concede more than our fair share of goals headed directly from a corner at the other end though.

Even when we had Aiden Flint who seemed to win most of his duels from corners (that actually got as far as him!) and has a decent career record of scoring from them, for some reason Moore mainly used him on the far post to try and nod it back rather than sticking him in front of goal to have a go.

Our last decent scorer of headers from corners was Chey Dunkley. He got more than his fair share.

If the stat I just read, saying we have zero goals from CD and CM is true, this seriously needs addressing.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, steelerian said:

Our last decent scorer of headers from corners was Chey Dunkley. He got more than his fair share.

If the stat I just read, saying we have zero goals from CD and CM is true, this seriously needs addressing.

Agreed on Dunkley. There were games where he was winning every single ball at corners. He then got 5 goals for the Shrews the season after he left us. When you look at his career stats his worst ever goal scoring record seems to be for us. Maybe regardless of XG it really is just Bannan’s delivery isn’t the best for defenders to get on the end of…

• Like 1