Oooooh it's a corner!

17 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Our corners are appalling.  It always makes me laugh how people still get all excited when we get one!

Except we've created the 6th most expected goals in the Championship from corners, so they're probably pretty good.

The fact is that corners are a very low percentage chance of a goal

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Cpt_Hatstand said:

Except we've created the 6th most expected goals in the Championship from corners, so they're probably pretty good.

The fact is that corners are a very low percentage chance of a goal

Yeah but it’s all Bannans fault

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Cpt_Hatstand said:

Yeh I read that - does that mean we're simply not finishing the chances when they get sent in?

I watched Bannan's corners in the last match and they were really good/dangerous but no players came steaming in to finish them

• Like 2

Owlstalk Shop

Have thought our corners have been terrible for ages. During play BB can pinpoint a pass but on set pieces his kicking seems really weak. Love BB think hes great but corners are shocking - he cannot seem to get the height. Then when he went off the other game Vaulks (I think) was on them and he was worse. I actually thought the two/ three near post corners from Vaulks was a ploy to get Plymouth to commit to that corner freeing up space for a corner later on but that seems so farfetched. 

Need to keep it simple in my opinion - all defenders around 8 yards out and stick it in the middle. After we master the simple ones lets go for the complicated ones. Change corner taker - someone on here mentioned Johnson which could be a good idea but not seen him. 

8 minutes ago, Roscoe P. Coltrane said:

Johnson is the best crosser of a football we've got 

He should be on set pieces....

I’d agree with this. 
Bannans corners were decent last game though. 

• Like 1

Corners. They’re a facet of football where there’s an almost inexplicable amount of excitement generated upon winning one, especially when considering only between 3-4% of them end as a goal – well below the average conversion of, say, a penalty kick (76%), right?

A quote that gets relayed in nearly every corner-kick analysis feature, but worth reiterating again, is José Mourinho’s infamous line: “How many countries can you think of where a corner kick is treated with the same applause as a goal? One. It only happens in England. This is the only place where a corner kick is as good as a goal for the fans.”

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Yeh I read that - does that mean we're simply not finishing the chances when they get sent in?

I watched Bannan's corners in the last match and they were really good/dangerous but no players came steaming in to finish them

Honestly, I think it's a bit of both tbh. 

Our deliveries are often a bit meh, but then I don't see enough of our players really attacking the ball and making the most of it. 

We have quite a big side, and yet we rarely seem to cause much trouble for the opposition with corners, set plays etc. 

Suppose Famewo had that headed goal against Rotherham wrongly disallowed which was from a Vaulks freekick. 

1 minute ago, theowlsman said:

There was a time when the site owner didn't need to create topics if his own to generate discussion.

This is where members effectively cancelling others gets you.

Corners?