Give Hull the money

27 minutes ago, Shetland Owl said:

We could use the Joao money but I trust DC to pay the right amount what ever it is. Yes will be a good player for us but expect to see more signings on the 1 July

Its strange the increase in price has come along right when its public knowledge we are getting this 700k from the Joao transfer. Tell them to do one, they agreed £200k - can be moving the goal posts. 

It's easy to spend someone else's money; not so easy when you're trying to balance the books and run the club in a sustainable manner.

If the club are trying to avoid the kind of reckless spending of previous years, then I'm all for it.

Hopefully there's still a deal to be struck at a reasonable fee for Wilks, but if not, then we simply have to move on.

Edited by areNOTwhatTHEYseem
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

It's easy to spend someone else's money; not so easy when you're trying to balance the books and run the club in a sustainable manner.

If the club are trying to avoid the kind of reckless spending of previous years, then I'm all for it.

Hopefully there's still a deal to be struck at a reasonable fee for Wilks, but if not, then we simply have to move on.

Spot on, either we want to try and be sustainable or not. 

I agree £500k or whatever they want is not unreasonable, not as reckless as we've been in the past, but considering we are in L1 have to spend within our means. 

We agreed a deal at £200k, this was affordable, Hull have changed their mind and now need to see if there is any middle ground. 

Hull apparently have now had a bid of £16m for one of their other players ,so that may soften their stance a little, as the Wilks fee a drop in the ocean comparatively and let's not forget their manager wants to move him on.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, owls about that said:

The money we are said to be getting from sell on clause for the sale of Joao should easily cover it.

If we agreed a deal at £200K, DC won't pay more

We can use the Joao money on other areas of the team.

• Like 2

If we agreed a fee and theyre now wanting more it all depends on how important we see him becoming to us over the next few seasons. 

For me he's still young enough to prove hinslef given the opportunity and may be worth more in 1-2 seasons than the initial outlay. 

We could maybe offer a deal to pay them extra if we get promoted, scores over 10 goals, gets a hat full of assists or something like that. 

Why are so many posters saying £200k is cheap?

How many transfer fees have been paid by league one sides so far?

How many transfer fees have been paid by any team outside the EPL in excess of £100k?

Wilks has a decent record for L1, but he also comes with some baggage and significant risks. 
Many clubs are still struggling financially post-covid and this has affected transfer fees. £200k is a lot in the current climate for any L1 team.

And regarding the Joao money, if we get anything, maybe Moore had planned on using it to get a Dean in. Can’t do that if we waste it on Wilks.

We should stick to the agreed sum, or move on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How much is he going to cost Hull if he stays with them?

They don't get our £200,000 and they have to pay his wages for another year (say 52 weeks at £10,000?) so £720,000 is lost, at the end of which, the player leaves for nothing.  He has also been told he has no future there!  Far better for them to accept our offer now than to risk the possibility of no other club bidding higher.

The player could also refuse to talk with other clubs.

There are plenty of fish in the sea for the next couple of weeks, even in the North Sea!

• Like 1

Neither Gregory, Smith, Windass or Paterson are blessed with rapid pace. Wilkes has an abundance of pace and is a proven goal scorer at this level. He'll add something different to our current forward line so its a yes from me.

• Like 2