Give Hull the money

He isn't worth a big fee.  He was good for one season in League One and is no where near Championship standard for them.

Looking back at news articles and fan comments, he has been lazy, unfit and not worth a big cash payment.  

He could probably do a job for us, but equally could be stuck on the bench after failing to make an impression.

Reminds me of NML in many aspects.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Bez said:

He isn't worth a big fee.  He was good for one season in League One and is no where near Championship standard for them.

Looking back at news articles and fan comments, he has been lazy, unfit and not worth a big cash payment.  

He could probably do a job for us, but equally could be stuck on the bench after failing to make an impression.

Reminds me of NML in many aspects.

So Bez, that's a no from you, you convinced me too, let's look elsewhere 

6 hours ago, owls about that said:

The money we are said to be getting from sell on clause for the sale of Joao should easily cover it.

That's the sort of thinking that got us into trouble before.   We're millions down compared to Championship clubs due to lack of Sky money etc.  

• Like 1

I'm not too bothered either way, he would surely be 4th placed behind Gregory, Smith and Windass anyway so only reason to pay any money for him is age and he provides something different but given last year a dip in form and injury problems, add to that he is in last year of contract...   Not really worth that much imo..

• Like 3

Wednesday over paying for players cost us massively in the past.

Personally think this one will drag until near the start of the season or after the campaign is underway.

Hull want the best deal possible, that's fine. We shouldn't be held to ransom though, he's a good player, he'd be a great signing but he's not the only footballer out there.

• Like 2

Guest FoxOwl12
17 hours ago, Gresh said:

Neither Gregory, Smith, Windass or Paterson are blessed with rapid pace. Wilkes has an abundance of pace and is a proven goal scorer at this level. He'll add something different to our current forward line so its a yes from me.

You've hit the nail on the head. Pace is what we need.

3 hours ago, FoxOwl12 said:

Why?

Weren't  we the best team in the division from November to aMay? Without pace.

Edited by Holmowl
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, FoxOwl12 said:

We could certainly do with reintroducing some pace into the squad.

Windass is quick, but beyond that, we've lost Mendez-Laing and Berahino, who was pretty quick over short distances, at least.

Once those two started finding their feet, it added another dimension to our game at times.

Smith was exactly the type of forward we needed to add, and I'll be surprised if Moore didn't want to add another pacy player or two as options to operate off him as and when required.

There’s another factor that hasn’t been mentioned when considering “giving Hull the money”.

Presumably the club put a value on Wilks. This would include transfer fee, wages and signing on fee. And maybe agent’s fee.

Having agreed a transfer fee, we may have felt that we’d got a good deal and that there’s room to manoeuvre on wages if necessary. Wilks’ agent may then have driven a hard bargain, but one we could accept if the total package was within our valuation.

If we have to now give Hull an extra £1-200k, this might have to come off Wilks’ contract. He might not accept. Even if he does, he’d be arriving at Wednesday feeling a bit miffed. Not the best for a player supposedly having a questionable attitude.

More I think about it, the more I hope the club walk away.

Guest FoxOwl12
8 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

I'd just get George Hirst

Young, Fast, Powerful and knows where the goal is

Do you think he would come back?

On 29/06/2022 at 10:36, Maddogbob said:

Realistically, he`s only worth what we are prepared to pay. if that's 200k that's your lot Mr Hull City

Just chucking money about landed us in bother in the first place, I'm happy for us to barter and remain strong and stick to our guns.

Haggle not barter (unless we are considering a swap deal including some of our surplus players or a bag of potato's).

Guest Willow Owl
8 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

I'd just get George Hirst

Young, Fast, Powerful and knows where the goal is

💥boom