Premier League 2022/23

1 hour ago, SiJ said:

Newcastle looking good again. 

Tbf, Howe has proven himself to be a better manager than I thought he was. Saw him as a bit of an Alan Curbishley type i.e. a brilliant job at one, particular club. 

You look at the work he's done at Newcastle in the same time that Gerrard has done a decidedly mediocre job at Villa. 

I thought the general reaction to Howe at Newcastle was always strange. Think he’s a good manager and a step up for them. The way Newcastle are going about their business seems pretty shrewd and dare I say likeable (as far as the modern game goes) and I think Howe is central to that. He deserves to take them as far as he can.

As for Gerrard, it wasn’t a particular secret that Michael Beale was the brains behind their time at Rangers, and he’s currently down at QPR. Was always going to be a test to lose his right hand man and so far he doesn’t look up to it.

2 hours ago, BIG D said:

So it’s just a yellow now if you take someone out knee high with absolutely no intention of playing the ball. 

I think the ref bottled it 

I’ve decided to hold a grudge against that ref since he sent off Luongo at Hillsborough. 

It was an excellent game though - I like that Newcastle can more than hold their own these days…. No one is missing Steve Bruce that’s for sure 

10 hours ago, BIG D said:

The d1 ckin charge of the VAR should never have asked him to take a look. He was close and made the right decision. It would have been great if the ref had stuck with his decision. There was no clear and obvious error. 

I've got Trippier in my fantasy team. Not seen the challenge yet but I'm sure it was only worthy of a yellow 😂 

• Haha 1

Hope the season stays like this in the prem, with City and Liverpool dropping points every so often to give teams like Arsenal and Spurs more chance of staying in touch for longer. Nothing worse than it been a two horse race from august to may. Love Brighton, recruitment is superb, Potter is destined for a big club and the style is always class to watch. Howe doing well up north too, thought they'd spunk fortunes on massive names who aren't arsed but they've been very clever so far with who they have signed. And St-Maximin will be worth an absolute fortune. For me he's a stand out talent in the whole league

Guest Mcguigan
3 hours ago, WorrallOwl17 said:

Hope the season stays like this in the prem, with City and Liverpool dropping points every so often to give teams like Arsenal and Spurs more chance of staying in touch for longer. Nothing worse than it been a two horse race from august to may. Love Brighton, recruitment is superb, Potter is destined for a big club and the style is always class to watch. Howe doing well up north too, thought they'd spunk fortunes on massive names who aren't arsed but they've been very clever so far with who they have signed. And St-Maximin will be worth an absolute fortune. For me he's a stand out talent in the whole league

Not for me. A bit like Traore, bursts of talent, the twists and tricks but not a great finisher and not a great final ball provider.

Think Jack Harrison at Leeds is very underrated as a PL player. Scores, assists, got an amazing first touch and masses of energy to boot.

Could see him off to one of big boys in January, non CL club tied either.

20 hours ago, SiJ said:

Newcastle looking good again. 

Tbf, Howe has proven himself to be a better manager than I thought he was. Saw him as a bit of an Alan Curbishley type i.e. a brilliant job at one, particular club. 

You look at the work he's done at Newcastle in the same time that Gerrard has done a decidedly mediocre job at Villa. 

I think whoever is in charge of recruitment at Newcastle has done a brilliant job as well.

No silly marquee signings that don't fit in, every signing has filled a gap and strengthened the team.

It seems they are slowly upgrading every position , instead of completely dismantling the squad, and that has allowed good players like Callum Wilson to look better with better players around them. 

I don't think top 7 is beyond them, they are looking a whole lot better than West Ham, Villa, Leicester  etc. 

1 hour ago, danblakemore said:

Leicester seem to be in freefall - wonder whats gone off there? 

Yep I thought two seasons ago after they won the FA Cup they were primed for top 6 and ready to push for a Champions league spot.

Last season they didn’t build on it and have seemingly not strengthened this time round 

4 hours ago, danblakemore said:

Leicester seem to be in freefall - wonder whats gone off there? 

4 hours ago, BridportOwl said:

Think they are skint.

3 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Yep I thought two seasons ago after they won the FA Cup they were primed for top 6 and ready to push for a Champions league spot.

Last season they didn’t build on it and have seemingly not strengthened this time round 

The owners are minted, but I think FFP has already required a club like Leicester to sell an asset most summers - Maguire, Mahrez, Kante, Drinkwater etc. 

They had a fantastic run of it, even when you don't factor in that mental title winner several years back. They finished 5th twice, won the FA Cup etc., really impressive stuff. 

But I think those two seasons where they just missed out on the Champs League has hurt them and they haven't sold anyone on this season to reinvest back in the squad. You've got Fofana who wants out, Maddison attracting interest along with Tielmans.  

Squad needs a refresh. They seem very flat and lacking a spark. There were signs of a malaise last season, even though they ended up finishing 8th in the end. 

2 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

We get to listen for hours about how hard done to manure are. Hope Liverpool spank them on and off the pitch. 

Whatever the result, I see positives. 

A defeat for Man U piles on the misery. 

A defeat for Liverpool would be hilarious. 

A draw is ok for United, but will be sh*te for Liverpool. 

The neutral can’t lose tonight. Every possible outcome is hilarious, including the game being postponed due to the protests. 

Vastly prefer Man U of these two clubs but there’s still a bit of me that wants to see them get absolutely trounced - which is of course THE funniest outcome.