More Qatar rubbish

4 hours ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61636473

Is this the most farcical and questionable WC in history?

Shameful human rights, slave labour, shifting the date of the tournament, doubts over how carbon neutral it is. 

Yes. An absolute outrage and disgrace on every level. I wonder how many footballers who have been going down on one knee will refuse to go in solidarity with the workers who have died constructing the grounds. Not to mention the human rights abuses happening now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 31Dec1966 said:

Yes. An absolute outrage and disgrace on every level. I wonder how many footballers who have been going down on one knee will refuse to go in solidarity with the workers who have died constructing the grounds. Not to mention the human rights abuses happening now.

The deaths alone should have been enough to call it off. 

I’m so disappointed that players haven’t boycotted the competition. 

FIFA are hoping to beat the IOC as the most inept sporting body...just look at the previous Olympic venues like Athens. Whole sporting landscape is laughable. All about the money and their delegates traveling 1st class around the world collecting "gifts"

• Like 1

The wording of the pundits who attend will be interesting. 

I presume it’ll be

“to be fair, we’ve been treated very well here” and

“we can’t forget the alleged discrepancies… but let’s focus on the beautiful game”  

While £2m of fireworks go off at the opening ceremony 

6 hours ago, Kopparberg said:

The wording of the pundits who attend will be interesting. 

I presume it’ll be

“to be fair, we’ve been treated very well here” and

“we can’t forget the alleged discrepancies… but let’s focus on the beautiful game”  

While £2m of fireworks go off at the opening ceremony 

The moral quandry that reporters and journalists face with this tournament has been discussed at length on the Guardian football pod and in the independent. 

Amnesty International have reiterated that journalists and pundits should go and report what they see. 

Some seem to be bought and paid for though. At the WC draw the other month, Miguel Delaney reported on how holding it in Qatar was even more of a farce once you actually see what it's like in person , and the complete lack of infrastructure , whilst Adrian Durham for Talksport was tweeting like he was the Qatari tourist board - pictures of pints of beer, sight seeing  - really disgraceful stuff in the circumstances. 

I also wish teams or players would boycott it; however again Amnesty have said that more good would be done by going and protesting/ raising awareness from there.

It's supporters pumping thousands into the pockets of FIFA and Qatar by going to this disgusting circus that I don't understand. Probably just me. 

• Love 1

We should have had the stones to pull out of the tournament several years ago, other nations would have followed. It wouldn't have taken many for it to have got the tournament moved. FIFA "reformed" not long after Qatar was announced so they could easily have moved it and blamed it on the old guard.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ever the pessimist said:

Probably the only good thing about staying in the 3rd tier is that we can concentrate on Wednesday still rather than the WC.

This. 

England are a distant second for me anyway, but the fact that Wednesday are still playing during this thing will make that even more so. 

Plenty of people won't be bothered about it and I suppose that's prerogative, but there is no way we should be having a World Cup in Qatar. Even if you somehow discount all the issues with human right abuses, slave labour (easier said than done), it still makes no sense. 

God knows what will happen once fans start turning up. 

• Like 3

On 31/05/2022 at 19:34, 31Dec1966 said:

There's literally too much poo in the world for anyone to take a stance too, and be heard. I like the fact that the taking of the knee is still happening. It could easily still be happening 10 years from now. Nowt much will change, unfortunately, we'll keep arguing amongst ourselves to make sure it doesn't.