More Qatar rubbish

20 hours ago, Ever the pessimist said:

Probably the only good thing about staying in the 3rd tier is that we can concentrate on Wednesday still rather than the WC.

Definitely this, I think a good number of fans will still be following their own club and ignoring this farce.

I'll miss a summer tournament,  and I'll miss collecting the stickers, but in November and December I'll have better things to do than watch this. Previously I thought I wouldn't have the self control not to watch it, but as the months go by it's clear this isn't a real tournament and I don't give a monkeys if England get knocked out in the group stages or win the whole thing. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I am sort of person who believes that politics should stay out of sport where possible.

But don't think it can at this World Cup.

Think the 1978 World Cup in Argentina was a bit controversial when the country was run by a military Junta but communications and the media were different than and England didn't qualify.

On 31/05/2022 at 23:31, Kopparberg said:

The wording of the pundits who attend will be interesting. 

I presume it’ll be

“to be fair, we’ve been treated very well here” and

“we can’t forget the alleged discrepancies… but let’s focus on the beautiful game”  

While £2m of fireworks go off at the opening ceremony 

Along with the mandatory...on projects of those magnitude there will always be challenges to overcome, however we will learn from this as we prepare for the next tournament...

Wonder what would happen if Kane wears a rainbow captains armband?

Probably be deported.

Apart from the migrant death workers, I dont blame Qatar that much.

They have their culture and if you go there it has to be respected even if you don't agree with it.

Blame line with Blatter and the corrupt FIFA officials that awarded them

2/3 of the fifa officials who voted for them have been given life time bans/ faced charges of corruption.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, jonnyowl said:

Wonder what would happen if Kane wears a rainbow captains armband?

Probably be deported.

There won't be any rainbow armbands or kneeling or the like at this World Cup.

All of a sudden I expect them to remember that you aren't supposed to get 'political'.  You don't f°ck with The Money after all.

• Like 5

You can see the headlines now, as some random England fan(s) are arrested for breaking the law in Qatar.  They are then held in prison over there, whilst the front page of the Daily Fail, The Sun, etc have the sombre looking wife/girlfriend/mother sitting on their sofa with a picture of their husband/boyfriend/son, with the words "he's not a trouble causer".  

This hypothetical person will probably not be a trouble causer, but the laws over there are so different that when you mix football, hot weather, jet lag and alcohol, some fans are going to end up doing something stupid.  

It's just not worth the risk.

• Like 3

I think Miguel Delaney wrote a piece for the Independent on how stunned he was to find that Qatar really is just Doha, and that there just isn't nearly enough accommodation for fans.

Apparently it's like having a World Cup in Dublin or Birmingham , with no accommodation available.

Knowing FIFA, it will all work out for them in the end, but I'm desperate for this tournament to be a disaster so such a stupid location is never suggested again. 

28 minutes ago, Bannofan said:

I think Miguel Delaney wrote a piece for the Independent on how stunned he was to find that Qatar really is just Doha, and that there just isn't nearly enough accommodation for fans.

Apparently it's like having a World Cup in Dublin or Birmingham , with no accommodation available.

Knowing FIFA, it will all work out for them in the end, but I'm desperate for this tournament to be a disaster so such a stupid location is never suggested again. 

They are putting cruises in the port to act as Hotels during the tournament I think. 

So another 2 months gone since this thread was active, now we have something like 6 weeks until starts.

Genuinely never thought Qatar would happen ;  I assumed FIFA would be blown wide open and the proof of the obvious corruption that ended in Qatar being awarded it would mean another country would be given it at short notice.

The Football Supportes Association have just come back from a fact finding mission, and they havent got much positive to stay.

Accommodation is still extremely scarce in Qatar; best options being neighbouring countries and flying in or driving to the border where a free bus will take you to the stadium.

You can't buy alcohol for private consumption,  and it's doubtful fans will be able to get into hotels to buy a drink . If you are lucky enough to get in, it's an average £15 per pint 

There's a weird rave tent being set up somewhere,  £75 to get in, then drinks on top.

Just nowhere for fans to go , and nothing to do it seems. Most places are not showing the games due to licensing issues.

They are, however, expecting big crowds due to the number of wealthy ex-pats in the emirate states. 

It's going to be one weird tournament.