More Qatar rubbish

Guest Mcguigan
On 03/07/2022 at 15:37, i used to be sc_owl said:

You can see the headlines now, as some random England fan(s) are arrested for breaking the law in Qatar.  They are then held in prison over there, whilst the front page of the Daily Fail, The Sun, etc have the sombre looking wife/girlfriend/mother sitting on their sofa with a picture of their husband/boyfriend/son, with the words "he's not a trouble causer".  

This hypothetical person will probably not be a trouble causer, but the laws over there are so different that when you mix football, hot weather, jet lag and alcohol, some fans are going to end up doing something stupid.  

It's just not worth the risk.

If you wanted to do something stupid over there, this is probably the best time to do it.

Basically a five week pass of relaxed rules. 

40 minutes ago, Maddogbob said:

Must admit, still not really in the mod or excited by this.

Weird feeling, normally by this stage you are getting a little excited and checking the work rota around games.

Nope, just not even given it two thoughts.

Me neither.

I think England turning in some totally abject performances of late isn't helping.

7 minutes ago, Pablo Bonvin said:

Me neither.

I think England turning in some totally abject performances of late isn't helping.

First game I'd watched in a while on Friday.

I turned it off after 60 mins and went to bed.

Giving them another go Monday, but the performances don't help the interest level.

1 hour ago, Ever the pessimist said:

I usually do my best to watch as many matches as I can in a World Cup. I’ll probably watch England and clashes between the top sides in the latter stages, but no special effort to do so.

Next WC also has stupid amount of nations in it. Basically it’s gone…

At least with the increase in numbers the format is changing slightly with groups of 3  meaning there will be no dead rubbers like the other year when we played Belgium. I don't think the additional teams will dilute the quality from the last 16 onwards but may have some random ties in round of 32.

58 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

I usually do my best to watch as many matches as I can in a World Cup. I’ll probably watch England and clashes between the top sides in the latter stages, but no special effort to do so.

Next WC also has stupid amount of nations in it. Basically it’s gone…

Yep, I always used to book a week off for the first group games, loved the randomness of the ties.

Even for Russia 2018 I managed to watch loads due to a cushy job I had. 

Just feels like I've been robbed of something I really used to look forward to. 

I will inevitability watch a few games if they are on during the day and I'm wfh, but as you say, I won't be going out of my way to watch them. 

I'm genuinely completely ambivalent about England as well, not bothered if the go out pointless in the group or win it. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Beighton Owl 87 said:

At least with the increase in numbers the format is changing slightly with groups of 3  meaning there will be no dead rubbers like the other year when we played Belgium. I don't think the additional teams will dilute the quality from the last 16 onwards but may have some random ties in round of 32.

Maybe, but the flip side of 3 team groups is less jeopardy as 2 still go through. Plus it means the final game can be a convenient result for both teams as the third team will not be playing.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

Maybe, but the flip side of 3 team groups is less jeopardy as 2 still go through. Plus it means the final game can be a convenient result for both teams as the third team will not be playing.

For example, if the first 2 games end 0-0, does that mean the teams in the last game just need a 1-1 draw for both to go through? What if all the games end 0-0?

12 minutes ago, Sova said:

For example, if the first 2 games end 0-0, does that mean the teams in the last game just need a 1-1 draw for both to go through? What if all the games end 0-0?

Not sure about the outcome if all games are identical scorelines. The scenario you outline is certainly a potential issue. The disgrace of Gijon in 1982 was such a case.

11 hours ago, SiJ said:

It's a whole big bag of meh this thing for me. 

Fact we are going to be still playing whilst it's going off only adds to the mehness. 

Oh yeah forgot about that..

Normally a tournament is the only football around, but for SWFC fans this is looking like a good season so the WC is not really a priority. 

I'm also convinced players in the WC will just want it over as quickly as possible so they can get back home , hopefully not injured or mentally exhausted, and carry on playing for club that pays them £100k plus per week.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Bannofan said:

So another 2 months gone since this thread was active, now we have something like 6 weeks until starts.

Genuinely never thought Qatar would happen ;  I assumed FIFA would be blown wide open and the proof of the obvious corruption that ended in Qatar being awarded it would mean another country would be given it at short notice.

The Football Supportes Association have just come back from a fact finding mission, and they havent got much positive to stay.

Accommodation is still extremely scarce in Qatar; best options being neighbouring countries and flying in or driving to the border where a free bus will take you to the stadium.

You can't buy alcohol for private consumption,  and it's doubtful fans will be able to get into hotels to buy a drink . If you are lucky enough to get in, it's an average £15 per pint 

There's a weird rave tent being set up somewhere,  £75 to get in, then drinks on top.

Just nowhere for fans to go , and nothing to do it seems. Most places are not showing the games due to licensing issues.

They are, however, expecting big crowds due to the number of wealthy ex-pats in the emirate states. 

It's going to be one weird tournament.  

I'm guessing you're para-phrasing & quoting the worst bits from the report BF?

As it also states, beer will be served within stadia perimeters up to 3 hours before ko.

Most hotels will do 'boozy brunches' & happy hours.

There are currently 117,000 rooms available on the accommodation portal with a further 20,000 being released soon.

The Hayya card for visitors is a visa into the country, which also allows free public transport, and access to stadia with match ticket.

(this is a free service from the organisers, in a credit card style, sent out free to all tournament visitors who apply, ours came via DPD over the weekend)

A bottle of water was £1.45 in the report.

The air conditioning in the stadia worked fine at the level the supporters were at.

I know you're against the whole thing, but at least give a balanced review of the report.

There's a lad on the England supporters forum who lives in Doha and he is an endless source of national and local knowledge, so most supporters are listening to him! Not any 'official' one-off visitors.

8 hours ago, The only way is S6 said:

I'm guessing you're para-phrasing & quoting the worst bits from the report BF?

As it also states, beer will be served within stadia perimeters up to 3 hours before ko.

Most hotels will do 'boozy brunches' & happy hours.

There are currently 117,000 rooms available on the accommodation portal with a further 20,000 being released soon.

The Hayya card for visitors is a visa into the country, which also allows free public transport, and access to stadia with match ticket.

(this is a free service from the organisers, in a credit card style, sent out free to all tournament visitors who apply, ours came via DPD over the weekend)

A bottle of water was £1.45 in the report.

The air conditioning in the stadia worked fine at the level the supporters were at.

I know you're against the whole thing, but at least give a balanced review of the report.

There's a lad on the England supporters forum who lives in Doha and he is an endless source of national and local knowledge, so most supporters are listening to him! Not any 'official' one-off visitors.

I'll be doing a blog while I'm there...

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

So did ours 

12 hours ago, NobbyStyle said:

World Cup 2022: Denmark to wear 'toned down' jerseys in protest at hosts Qatar https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63066393

1st of many???

First of many token gestures to make organisations, companies and F.A.'s seem like they care and to ease their conscience.  

I know amnesty have said that 'go and raise awareness ' is the their stance, but this kit change and armband thing would hardly have been noticed if there wasn't the grand announcement.  

• Like 1