More Qatar rubbish

On 26/09/2022 at 10:30, DCFCOwls said:

Couldnt give two squirts of pi33 about this

the kick off times add to the rubbish as well, who the sod is going to bother with a 10am game? Barely got past the first hour at work 

Of all the genuine criticism you can give this world Cup, the timezone it's in is the most eurocentric rubbish of the lot.

10 hours ago, Owl.1867 said:

Of all the genuine criticism you can give this world Cup, the timezone it's in is the most eurocentric rubbish of the lot.

Not got a problem with time zones at all, games ticking off at non standard times has always added to the buzz. 

Having it starting in November and basically ending at Christmas will be the weirdest thing..I think more people are up in arms about that rather than it being in a one city country that's got a shocking human rights rep. 

I was chatting to someone who's going over there to work for one of the big American broadcasters the other day.

They've had a very lengthy safety briefing advising them to cover their shoulders and carry headdresses with them when out and about; not to travel alone as a single female; to avoid any possible signs of homosexuality such as holding hands with a same-sex partner or even wearing any rainbow symbols; and to avoid public drunkenness at all times.

It's safe to say they're not particularly looking forward to it compared to other major sporting events they've attended.

On 02/10/2022 at 09:19, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I was chatting to someone who's going over there to work for one of the big American broadcasters the other day.

They've had a very lengthy safety briefing advising them to cover their shoulders and carry headdresses with them when out and about; not to travel alone as a single female; to avoid any possible signs of homosexuality such as holding hands with a same-sex partner or even wearing any rainbow symbols; and to avoid public drunkenness at all times.

It's safe to say they're not particularly looking forward to it compared to other major sporting events they've attended.

I've just had a reply from a lad who lives in Doha on this subject, and his summary was, when him & his wife go out she never wears a head covering, if she goes out without her shoulders covered, she takes a cardigan, & tourist women mainly wear dresses down to their knees. In areas like West Bay & The Pearl, dress code is very westernised and in bars and hotels, women can wear whatever they like! He reckons that everything will be much more relaxed due to visitors coming from all over the world anyway. 

Our fans are going to get into a lot of trouble. 

• Like 1

That surprises me because in many Arabic or Muslim countries, hand-holding is often seen as a sign of friendship and respect, rather than anything romantic/intimate. The first time I went to Egypt I noticed how many people of the same sex would be holding hands in public, but then it was explained to me that it's not seen in the same way as in western cultures.

1 hour ago, punkskaphil said:

That surprises me because in many Arabic or Muslim countries, hand-holding is often seen as a sign of friendship and respect, rather than anything romantic/intimate. The first time I went to Egypt I noticed how many people of the same sex would be holding hands in public, but then it was explained to me that it's not seen in the same way as in western cultures.

Maybe the American broadcaster are being unnecessarily cautious, then?