SWFC SUMMER 2022 TRANSFER RUMOUR MEGATHREAD - in memory of Gurujuan

7 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

If they had a free release clause the clubs wouldn't sign anyone though. They're not going to pay a fee if it's going to be lost at the end of the season.

Our bottom EPL clubs are all in the top 40-50 clubs in the world for wages.

That's how we attract them and it's by design. We overpay for a lot of players, stopping that strengthens other leagues and weakens the EPL and the TV money that pays for it all.

As you said, they're mercenaries and follow the money.

France's tv deal collapsed because nobody wants to watch 2-3 decent teams winning 5-0 every week.

So your suggestion would be to continue to pay big fees and big wages and when this fails, the club or community asset has to pick up the debts unprotected?

it’s not sustainable. Clauses need to be put in place 

Teams will still attract players based on what they can pay abs their league status and when they fail through relegation and lose their league status abs revenue all parties need protecting unless the owners and let’s be right it’s a billionaires playground cover these costs and they should be allowed to do so then wage decreases and release fees need putting in 

It gives the owners the choice of offering contracts you say will only attract the best players by covering their salaries due to relegation or it gives them the opportunity  to protect the club by negotiating the reduced terms or release fees 

lets be honest if a player gets released on free due to relegation they won’t be without a club and both player and agent know they will be looking at a healthy signing on fee 

I think you massively underestimate that players won’t sign for premier league clubs if there’s a risk in relegation their contracts might my change or they might be released 

There’s  loads you can do to protect all parties 

our current format just allows clubs to fail and then bail them out with parachute payments and that’s the only reason why this is abused 

every year you see the relegated teams sell on big players to get them out of the clubs players can easily be moved on and players are happy to move on 

11 minutes ago, fpowl said:

So your suggestion would be to continue to pay big fees and big wages and when this fails, the club or community asset has to pick up the debts unprotected?

it’s not sustainable. Clauses need to be put in place 

Teams will still attract players based on what they can pay abs their league status and when they fail through relegation and lose their league status abs revenue all parties need protecting unless the owners and let’s be right it’s a billionaires playground cover these costs and they should be allowed to do so then wage decreases and release fees need putting in 

It gives the owners the choice of offering contracts you say will only attract the best players by covering their salaries due to relegation or it gives them the opportunity  to protect the club by negotiating the reduced terms or release fees 

lets be honest if a player gets released on free due to relegation they won’t be without a club and both player and agent know they will be looking at a healthy signing on fee 

I think you massively underestimate that players won’t sign for premier league clubs if there’s a risk in relegation their contracts might my change or they might be released 

There’s  loads you can do to protect all parties 

our current format just allows clubs to fail and then bail them out with parachute payments and that’s the only reason why this is abused 

every year you see the relegated teams sell on big players to get them out of the clubs players can easily be moved on and players are happy to move on 

The big players bring the big tv deals.

Teams won't pay a fee for a player that can go for free at the end of the season. It also won't work as the fee is amoratised over the contract length.

You say eveey year relegated teams sell the players, hiw are they going to do that if they all can leave for nothing?

As for the failing clubs, use SCMP as I said. All transactions pre-approved by the EFL based on income projections.

Guarantee 2+ year contracts instead of parachute payments.

Teams can still sign players in the EFL without worrying about relegation. Fairer in the EPL. Also encourages teams to get better players as they can't pocket the cash, so stops Norwich type shenanigans. 

Relegated teams can't rebuild with a massive budget, but can keep players on if they're still under contract. Fairer in the EFL.

Bish bash bosh, done.

The only reason it isn't done is because the EPL vote for stuff like this and no team will vote for it as it's against their interests. 

If we play 3 at the back I imagine Heneghan will be fighting it out with Iorfa for the right-hand side slot. As we have a clean slate at the back it makes sense for us to bring in a proper left-footed CB for that side and a wise leader on the middle (a job Dean could easily do).

We will get injuries at the back for sure so imagine the likes of Heneghan, Brennan and Palmer could be used throughout the season and will get plenty of game time between them.

3 hours ago, Tewkesbury said:

Because then nobody half decent will play for any clubs below 10th.

The EPL is the best league in the world because it gives all 20 teams enough money to be reasonably competitive and wants the best players in the world, this is why it gets so much international money.

Without some guarantee, the best players will only play for a couple of clubs and we turn into the french or spanish leagues, reducing overall EPL viewing and money, and there would still be no money for the lower leagues.

It's like that now. The top players only play for the top 6ish clubs. It's a crap league now totally dominated by half dozen clubs and even that half a dozen is dominated by 2 clubs

11 minutes ago, Drewswfc said:

It's like that now. The top players only play for the top 6ish clubs. It's a crap league now totally dominated by half dozen clubs and even that half a dozen is dominated by 2 clubs

Yes even Manchester Utd who finished 6th were points wise just as close to Norwich at the bottom as they were to City at the top.

There is a massive gap between the top few and the rest. It's a totally uncompetitive league where 8 teams won more games than they lost last season and for about 12 teams the sole objective at the start of the season is avoiding relegation.

• Like 2

Dawson must have been really excited about coming back to us after a great season last year out on loan. Must have thought, it was his time and last time it was just unfortunate he had an experienced 36 year old always in the background or in front of him.

The moment he comes back we sign another 36 year old experienced keeper lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, CourteenerOwl said:

Dawson must have been really excited about coming back to us after a great season last year out on loan. Must have thought, it was his time and last time it was just unfortunate he had an experienced 36 year old always in the background or in front of him.

The moment he comes back we sign another 36 year old experienced keeper lol 

I get the feeling Dawson will be sold this summer, particularly if Wildsmith accepts a new deal and stays as number 2.

6 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

As opening signings go Heneghan and Stockdale aren’t the most exciting. Guess the better ones take time with more clubs wanting the better players. 

But maybe may go on to prove to be the most important as defensively we have to be better next season.

35 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

As opening signings go Heneghan and Stockdale aren’t the most exciting. Guess the better ones take time with more clubs wanting the better players. 

We’ve had players with big names come and do nothing so if they can do a job and slide under the radar it’s fine with me.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

39 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

To be fair a keeper and a centre half signings at league 1 level are never going to sexy signings

We needed a keeper and at least 3 centre half’s. Solid experienced additions 

• Like 1

Lodged a formal loan offer for Elliot Anderson according to The Northern Echo. 

I just don’t see where you’re fitting players like Anderson, Windass & Wilks into a 352 myself. Howson has reported that we intend to recruit for 352 but all the targets suggest otherwise. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Swfcsi said:

That's my worry abd Daz hasn't  learned from the start of last season mistakes ,unless he's changing formation but can't see it 

My concern also. 

All these players seem perfect for a 4231/433. 

It would also be risky to change from a system that served us so well once we clicked with players in their natural positions. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Thought I had read that Anderson would be staying with Newcastle for pre season so Howe can have a look at him?

As if he'll want a look at a kid who was on loan in league 2 last season when he's got basically an open cheque book this summer.

• Like 1

Just now, Swfcsi said:

Did the same thing with that lad from wolves and I'm sure clubs will look at how other loans have worked out at our place .

Very true. They won’t want him playing LWB.

I really don’t like when wingers play WB anyways. The role is more a custom to attacking full backs.