SWFC SUMMER 2022 TRANSFER RUMOUR MEGATHREAD - in memory of Gurujuan

Is there viable option of making a swap deal if We don't see Dawson as our starting GK next season for Key who is highly rated RB who could push Hunt for place in starting 11 next season and hopefully be a long term replacement for him? 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Beauchief Owl said:

He has a year left on his contract but he was frozen out and told he could go on a free. Dean said that himself.

They want him out and his wage off their books. He has a year left on his deal though, probably worth something like £750K. Would he be willing to walk away from that to sign for us for a lot less than he's on. He might be happy to do that, or he might want recompense from Birmingham to settle his remaining contract. In which case they might ask for a transfer fee to cover it, which sometimes happens in situations like that.

Told the chairman has spoken to the Argentinian club after Windass, open to selling , but miles apart on valuation 

2 hours ago, Royal_D said:

Told the chairman has spoken to the Argentinian club after Windass, open to selling , but miles apart on valuation 

Sounds like DC, but think he needs to be realistic, to double our money on what we paid for a player who leaves for nothing next summer is not a bad deal (particularly since he hardly kicked a ball last season)

The miles apart bit concerns me and sincerely hope he has learned his lesson. This is how sustainable clubs operate, selling players for a profit and reinvesting in the squad. Hopefully just a negotiating tactic and a deal can be done. 

• Like 2

Played 40 odd games & leading scorer season before last …….. Bad injury last season & we spent literally thousands on his rehabilitation…. Will be back to full fitness for the start of the season yet some of the balloons on here want to give him away for the first ten Bob offer offer that comes in 🤦‍♂️

• Like 5

If Josh can stay fit this season he could be key to getting automatic promotion but it's a big if. IMO I would let him go for this sort of offer but I can well understand DC holding out for a slightly better deal.

I suppose the question is, Can we replace him with the money we would get so that ultimately our chances of promotion are not diminished?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

They want him out and his wage off their books. He has a year left on his deal though, probably worth something like £750K. Would he be willing to walk away from that to sign for us for a lot less than he's on. He might be happy to do that, or he might want recompense from Birmingham to settle his remaining contract. In which case they might ask for a transfer fee to cover it, which sometimes happens in situations like that.

The ball is in Birmingham’s court. If they want rid of a player that they feel is “a bad egg”, then they’ll have to take a loss.

If Wednesday (or any other club) can afford to give the player, for example, a salary of only £250k but also a £500k transfer fee to Brum then it would be better if we gave the player his £750k annual salary, but with no transfer fee. Happier player. Assuming Wednesday won’t budge on salary, it’s up to Brum to decide if they want an expensive unwanted player stinking the training ground out. Bit like us and Rhodes / Norwich. We got it wrong then.

I think with Windass, any move to S America is likely to be short term, i.e. a season, then he will be back to the U.K. So we need to avoid seeing a player leave for a pittance only to return in 12 months (or maybe even January) to a competitor. So whilst I’m in favour of selling, and a deal might only be possible for a modest sum, we should put in a hefty sell on clause. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Tamworthowl said:

The ball is in Birmingham’s court. If they want rid of a player that they feel is “a bad egg”, then they’ll have to take a loss.

If Wednesday (or any other club) can afford to give the player, for example, a salary of only £250k but also a £500k transfer fee to Brum then it would be better if we gave the player his £750k annual salary, but with no transfer fee. Happier player. Assuming Wednesday won’t budge on salary, it’s up to Brum to decide if they want an expensive unwanted player stinking the training ground out. Bit like us and Rhodes / Norwich. We got it wrong then.

Maybe we offer £?? On promotion?

27 minutes ago, Tamworthowl said:

I think with Windass, any move to S America is likely to be short term, i.e. a season, then he will be back to the U.K. So we need to avoid seeing a player leave for a pittance only to return in 12 months (or maybe even January) to a competitor. So whilst I’m in favour of selling, and a deal might only be possible for a modest sum, we should put in a hefty sell on clause. 

I'm not so sure we can think that far in advance, control what a player does or place value on a players future career, especially as he's 29 in January, not a young player likely to be sold in the future. 

If we double  (or more) our money on him having paid  around £500k, that's a good deal. In the current market where fees for players outside EPL and parachute clubs are depressed , not really a pittance and allows us to strengthen with 2 or more replacement players.

It's about the here and now, not what Josh Windass might do in 12 months. In 12 months he can walk away from our club to a rival, or wherever he wants to go anyway for free

Edited by striker
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, striker said:

I'm not so sure we can think that far in advance, control what a player does or place value on a players future career, especially as he's 29 in January, not a young player likely to be sold on the future. 

If we double  (or more) our money on him having paid  around £500k, that's a good deal. In the current market where fees for players outside EPL and parachute clubs are depressed , not really a pittance and allows us to strengthen with 2 or more replacement players.

It's about the here and now, not what Josh Windass might do in 12 months. In 12 months he can walk away from our club to a rival, or wherever he wants to go anyway for free

I’m not suggesting that we cling on to Windass until/unless we get a good deal.

He’s off to S America, not China or Middle East, where clubs aren’t flush with money for transfers. We’ll be lucky to get £500k. 
But what if it turns sour for JW? And he returns to, for example, MK Dons in January for £1m.

I just hope that when we let him go, for what I believe will be way under what a L1 or championship club would pay, that we put in place a little protection in case of a swift return. 
If Windass sees out his career in Argentina, then fair enough, a modest fee now is better than nowt in a year.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tamworthowl said:

He’s off to S America, not China or Middle East, where clubs aren’t flush with money for transfers. We’ll be lucky to get £500k. 
But what if it turns sour for JW? And he returns to, for example, MK Dons in January for £1m.

I just hope that when we let him go, for what I believe will be way under what a L1 or championship club would pay, that we put in place a little protection in case of a swift return. 
If Windass sees out his career in Argentina, then fair enough, a modest fee now is better than nowt in a year.

The bid is reportedly  £1m, had we been talking around £500k, I absolutely agree and that's a different decision. I get your point and agree in principle and do think there may well be a bit of negotiation going on for a player whose value plummets to almost nothing once the season kicks off, given he's out of contract next summer. 

Edited by striker
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, striker said:

The bid is reportedly  £1m, had we been talking around £500k, I absolutely agree and that's a different decision. I get your point and agree in principle and do think there may well be a bit of negotiation going on for a player whose value plummets to almost nothing once the season kicks off, given he's out of contract next summer. 

Fair enough. I haven’t seen the £1m reported, although I’d be surprised if it’s really that high. However, if its true, I’d grab the money before the offer is withdrawn.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

51 minutes ago, Tamworthowl said:

Put a clause in which gives us first option to buy back for an agreed fee??

The worst scenario is that he comes back to the UK for £2-3m and we have lost out

On 26/05/2022 at 13:52, g-owls said:

Kyle Wootton at Notts County is out of contract. They've offered him a new one. Whether he signs is a different matter.

He'd be an interesting signing for anyone in the Football League. A striker who didn't do much when he started out with Scunthorpe, but has developed into a far better player and still at a good age.

He's a tall lad but with a decent touch and good pace. He's scored 24 goals in total this season and since going to County has a total of 59 from 133, so just over a 1:2 ratio.

Kyle Wootton's Notts County future in doubt amid Portsmouth transfer links.

12 minutes ago, beswetherick said:

Would love him here, really rate him 

Agree, liked the look of him in his Fulham days. Barnsley bought him for a modest fee and done well for them (expect they'll get back most, if not all of what they paid too)

Edited by striker
  • Like 1