SWFC SUMMER 2022 TRANSFER RUMOUR MEGATHREAD - in memory of Gurujuan

Brandon Barker. Not a rumour but a suggestion of a player who might be worth a look at.

Mainly plays left wing, very tricky, can score goals and provide assists.

Came up through the ranks at Man. City. Represented England at U18, U19, U20.

Left City when 22 in 2019 and signed for Rangers on a 3 year deal. Spent time on loan at Hibs, where he did well.

Also spent the last few months of the 2020-21 season on loan at Oxford, where he helped them to the play offs. I saw him a play a few times their and he looked an exciting player.

Now 25 and a free agent. Has lost his way a bit but I wouldn't mind us taking a look at him on trial in pre season.

Maybe DM could resurrect his career.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Brandon Barker. Not a rumour but a suggestion of a player who might be worth a look at.

Mainly plays left wing, very tricky, can score goals and provide assists.

Came up through the ranks at Man. City. Represented England at U18, U19, U20.

Left City when 22 in 2019 and signed for Rangers on a 3 year deal. Spent time on loan at Hibs, where he did well.

Also spent the last few months of the 2020-21 season on loan at Oxford, where he helped them to the play offs. I saw him a play a few times their and he looked an exciting player.

Now 25 and a free agent. Has lost his way a bit but I wouldn't mind us taking a look at him on trial in pre season.

Maybe DM could resurrect his career.

He is a good shout, could be our Patrick Roberts. 

9 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

Don't know how Barker's spell with Oxford has been but he never impressed me when he was up here in Scotland.

I thought the Hibs fans loved him when he was on loan there. Well according to a mate of mine who's a fan.

Didn't Rangers sign him because of his performances for Hibs?

Lets gamble on players like him when they are 18 or 19 and trust them with their first experience of senior football when We can earn a fortune if stumble on  a star. Not when they turn 25 and fail at every club they played for.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, malek said:

Lets gamble on players like him when they are 18 or 19 and trust them with their first experience of senior football when We can earn a fortune if stumble on  a star. Not when they turn 25 and fail at every club they played for.

I agree with you on overall youthful strategy but there has to be balance. There are 25 year olds that have unrealised potential too.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Brad_owl said:

He is a good shout, could be our Patrick Roberts. 

Yes similar type but younger.

Was at City from 8 years old.  Won the Academy Players’ Player of the Year award in 2013/14 and City gave him a 5 year contract in 2015.

Very direct and a good shot with either foot.

1 minute ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

I agree with you on overall youthful strategy but there has to be balance. There are 25 year olds that have unrealised potential too.

True, but if player didn't realize his potential by time He turned 25 than there is a good reason for it. It is not like he was playing for some amateur side so went under everyone's radar. He came through Man City academy and got best coaching available and plenty of chances to fix himself with a long term contract with a good club.

Anyway, if I'm gambling on someone with unrealized potential than I will pick 18 years old with little or no first team experience rather than 25 years old journeyman. He would likely ask for less money and potential rewards would be much higher.

• Like 3

Just now, malek said:

True, but if player didn't realize his potential by time He turned 25 than there is a good reason for it. It is not like he was playing for some amateur side so went under everyone's radar. He came through Man City academy and got best coaching available and plenty of chances to fix himself with a long term contract with a good club.

Anyway, if I'm gambling on someone with unrealized potential than I will pick 18 years old with little or no first team experience rather than 25 years old journeyman. He would likely ask for less money and potential rewards would be much higher.

Saw a report on him and his dad was on there. Seemed to be a tough task master his father. Brandon seemed to have a bit of arrogance about him which sometimes isn't a bad thing. Im no Moore fan bit he could be just the type of signing he can get the most out of. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, malek said:

Signing any player is a gamble, even the younger ones.

We signed FDB from City at 19. Two years on and we don't know if he will develop into a successful player for us. He has another year on his contract,  time will tell.

I'm just saying give Barker a trial in the Summer see how he fits in. He could be an upgrade on the likes of Sow.

• Like 3

Just now, malek said:

There are 25 year olds knocking around that have potential to improve significantly. Smith at Rotherham being a case in point. Other clubs tap into this more successfully  than us though. 

We need balance . I dont go along with the, "next season we MUST achieve  promotion", mantra but we must be challenging as we did this season at the very least. I want to see a sustainable, stable operation that values youth, as we both do, whilst also being pragmatic in the now.

I think that we both agree that we don't want the core of our recruitment based on more expensive, 'ready made',  29/30 year olds as we have done too often in recent years. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

18 minutes ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

There are 25 year olds knocking around that have potential to improve significantly. Smith at Rotherham being a case in point. Other clubs tap into this more successfully  than us though. 

We need balance . I dont go along with the, "next season we MUST achieve  promotion", mantra but we must be challenging as we did this season at the very least. I want to see a sustainable, stable operation that values youth, as we both do, whilst also being pragmatic in the now.

I think that we both agree that we don't want the core of our recruitment based on more expensive, 'ready made',  29/30 year olds as we have done too often in recent years. 

Wholeheartedly agree with everything You posted above.

Promotion would be achievement of a short term goal, but i would argue that long term goals such as more self sustainable running of the club and constant improvement of our playing squad (improving quality while bringing average age down) would be even more important.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, malek said:

Wholeheartedly agree with everything You posted above.

Promotion would be achievement of a short term goal, but i would argue that long term goals such as more self sustainable running of the club and constant improvement of our playing squad (improving quality while bringing average age down) would be even more important.

Agreed. The last five years absolutely supports this too. Plenty will disagree vehemently with us though 😀

• Like 1
  • Love 1

44 minutes ago, malek said:

I would say getting a 3 year contract with one of the biggest clubs in the country (Rangers) at 22 years old isn't to shabby.

As Brad_owl said he could be our Patrick Roberts.

Roberts and Barker' s careers have followed a similar path.

The same age, came through the ranks at City, played for a top club in Scotland, had plenty of loans out to other clubs.

Never really settled anywhere.

Sunderland took a gamble on him and it paid off.  After the play offs many said they would love Roberts at Wednesday.

I wouldn't say they had all that similar career paths.

Barker came through City academy while they paid a fortune to bring Roberts in.

Roberts was fantastic while on loan at Celtic while Barker started 16 league games for Rangers in 3 years that he was contracted with them.

Point is that Roberts did well at first team level before he joined Sunderland while Barker didn't and got far too many opportunities due to his early promise.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

Great post Teddy 👏👏 UTO 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, SettleForADraw said:

Bannan?

Bannan made his Premier League debut before He turned 20 and got his first cap at 21. He started at PL level over 70 times before He turned 25.

Kyle Wootton's Notts County future in doubt amid Portsmouth transfer links.

Talking about players at that level of football. John McAtee impressed throughout Play Offs and is at right age to look as a good bit of investment if we chose to go after him.

As Brad_owl said he could be our Patrick Roberts.

Roberts and Barker' s careers have followed a similar path.

Talking about these two and watching Mansfield vs Port Vale, James Wilson looks as another who started realizing his potential after He turned 25. Wouldn't mind us taking a look at him as well, despite all the injuries He had in his career.

• Like 4