Hands up if you wanted Paul Cook

He's taken a little bit of a nose dive the old lad hasn't he. Biggsy wanted him I seem to remember. Not sure what that interview was all about as I'm not really up to speed with Chezzie but a manager should be standing up and defending himself and his team, not just throwing a paddy like that. Thought he was made of sterner stuff to be honest.

• Like 3

To be fair we're only seeing the back end of that there, sounds like he's already asked 4 questions Cook didn't like and he wanted to focus on the next game. Staton wouldn't let it go which was a bit disrespectful.

If you watch the Prem managers being interviewed they regularly deflect or don't answer things but the interviewers move on to the next thing as thats better than not interviewing at all.

Staton was right to ask what he thought was relevant but once it became clear Cook didn't want to talk about it anymore he should have moved on rather than digging his heels in.

I'll hold my hands up and say I did, the job he did with Chesterfield first time round and with Wigan, pushed me to think he'd be a good fit for us.

His stock has taken a massive nosedive lately.

Suspect the James Rowe situation at Chesterfield has cost the club this season. Cook really shouldn't have taken that job, based on what was going off behind the scenes.

• Like 4

Yes I thought Paul Cook would be a good manager for Wednesday.

3 Promotions with 3 different clubs shows he is not a complete novice at being a manager.

I remember a time when David Moyes was linked with Wednesday and people were indignant about it and he was seen as a bit of joke.

I do admit he comes across badly in that clip and you feel he is finding the pressure difficult to handle.

I was one that wanted him last season both times we were looking for a new manager. His stock was high after winning League titles with Chesterfield, Portsmouth and Wigan. Was delighted with the appointed of DM though although that appointment seemed to come from nowhere and can't remember who else we were linked with at the time.

• Like 1

I wanted him too.

It's pretty clear that the problem is the playing staff there, and there are so many out of contract at the end of the season that they probably don't care whether Chesterfield go up or not.

We know all about that from last season, when we were going in the other direction.

How can Cook start criticizing his players in that interview when he needs a performance from them on Sunday?

Hog Staton surely knows that - and Cook knows that Staton knows that - so I understand his anger.

• Like 3

It just goes to show that football is far from an exact science.

What works in one context won't always translate to another.

Cook did a brilliant job at Wigan, but struggled to get Ipswich firing after recruiting a lot of new players.

Who knows how things night have worked out for him there had they stuck by him this season? They were six points behind Wednesday when he was sacked in early December. Whereas we saw Moore get some great form out of our squad to push up the division from that point onwards, we'll never know whether Cook might have done similar.

It's often about the setup behind the scenes and whether a club is set up for success, isn't it? We've seen it at Wednesday over the years: a manager who'd done a decent job elsewhere struggling at Hillsborough.

Hopefully in Moore we've got the right man at the right time.

As for Cook, I'm surprised he took the Chesterfield job, but him struggling there doesn't mean he couldn't still be the right man for a different club once again.

• Like 7

Didn’t Cook have a few off the field ‘issues’ the last time he was at Chesterfield?

Re the interview I actually thought it was unprofessional by Radio Sheffield. Cook was polite enough in trying to talk about the next game, but Staton could clearly see he was getting a rise, and just kept going. 

• Like 8

Guest Musttryharder
14 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

It just goes to show that football is far from an exact science.

What works in one context won't always translate to another.

Cook did a brilliant job at Wigan, but struggled to get Ipswich firing after recruiting a lot of new players.

Who knows how things night have worked out for him there had they stuck by him this season? They were six points behind Wednesday when he was sacked in early December. Whereas we saw Moore get some great form out of our squad to push up the division from that point onwards, we'll never know whether Cook might have done similar.

It's often about the setup behind the scenes and whether a club is set up for success, isn't it? We've seen it at Wednesday over the years: a manager who'd done a decent job elsewhere struggling at Hillsborough.

Hopefully in Moore we've got the right man at the right time.

As for Cook, I'm surprised he took the Chesterfield job, but him struggling there doesn't mean he couldn't still be the right man for a different club once again.

Right man at the right time. What does that actually mean. His first season we got relegated, second season we blew the chance of a play off spot. Do you mean third time lucky. Genuine question by the way. For Moore to be the right man he HAS to change. he needs game plan which was abundantly clear he hadnt this season. When he first came to Hillsboriugh, many Donny fans were saying he as his own ways and thats it. Thats my concern, he wont change for anyone.

2 minutes ago, vulva said:

Didn’t Cook have a few off the field ‘issues’ the last time he was at Chesterfield?

Re the interview I actually thought it was unprofessional by Radio Sheffield. Cook was polite enough in trying to talk about the next game, but Staton could clearly see he was getting a rise, and just kept going. 

Yeah, that was odd from Staton.

Cook made it very clear that he was jeopardising the interview by continuing with his line of questioning, and gave him several opportunities to ask about their upcoming match.

It's his prerogative of course, but you'd think he'd want to talk about the game in a pre-match press conference.

Once it was clear that the interview was going to be cut short if he didn't move on to the game, there was nothing to be gained by digging his heels in like that.

• Like 1

Very unprofessional from Rob there. Plenty, plenty opportunities to move on and he refused to. 4 negative questions were asked and presumably answered. Paul Cook have him numerous opportunities and clearly stated his intention to end the interview.

Feel for Paul Cook there actually. At the end of of the day Paul Cook is a person just like any other. There is very little talk about mental health in the football world and actually there should be.

• Like 1

Id be more confident of next season with Cook than Moore. 

More tangible experience than Moore. Tactically a bit more aware than Moore.

I hope Moore does the job next season as for me he doesn't deserve another shot. The facts are, Moore has failed to get promotion with the best squad in the division. 

• Haha 3