Hands up if you wanted Paul Cook

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

It just goes to show that football is far from an exact science.

What works in one context won't always translate to another.

Cook did a brilliant job at Wigan, but struggled to get Ipswich firing after recruiting a lot of new players.

Who knows how things night have worked out for him there had they stuck by him this season? They were six points behind Wednesday when he was sacked in early December. Whereas we saw Moore get some great form out of our squad to push up the division from that point onwards, we'll never know whether Cook might have done similar.

It's often about the setup behind the scenes and whether a club is set up for success, isn't it? We've seen it at Wednesday over the years: a manager who'd done a decent job elsewhere struggling at Hillsborough.

Hopefully in Moore we've got the right man at the right time.

As for Cook, I'm surprised he took the Chesterfield job, but him struggling there doesn't mean he couldn't still be the right man for a different club once again.

Just to say, apologies for the repeat, the Wigan fans hated Cook and organised demonstrations against him. I posted all this at the time, telling everyone we needed to stay well clear. He struck a good run for Wigan of about 15/16 games at the end of the season. The fans still wanted him out.

• Like 1

I wanted cook

Very surprising how that last 6 to 12 months have gone for him and to an extent us.

He's nosediving as others have said. Chesterfield have been a basket case of a club ever since he who's name you don't speak on a football forum took over. Like us it'll take a while to get over things like that.

Where as us it seems at least we are going the right way at last and Moore appears to be a big factor in that. Fair play to Darren. Hope it continues.

As for Chesterfield I couldn't care less what happens to them

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Owlabroad2001 said:

Still better than Moore!!  Lol

How does getting the sack from a League One team, then taking a Conference team from the automatic places to struggling to make the play offs, equate to "better than Moore"?

• Like 4

Me ...I did.

Out of all the realistic candidates his CV was the most impressive viz a viz promotions won .

Surprised at how it worked out for him at Ipswich , I suppose it just goes to show what a lottery picking managers is.........Hands up if you wanted Chris Hughton ?

No problem digging him out I see.....yet if you criticize Moore who has yet to achieve anything of real substance then you are a "hater"

3 minutes ago, markowl said:

What could Rob have done differently, for you to believe he covered himself in glory?

After getting asked the 4th time to move on and talk about the next game he could have moved on and talked about the next game. At that point Cook was well within his rights to end the interview. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Pieman said:

Just to say, apologies for the repeat, the Wigan fans hated Cook and organised demonstrations against him. I posted all this at the time, telling everyone we needed to stay well clear. He struck a good run for Wigan of about 15/16 games at the end of the season. The fans still wanted him out.

They were protesting against Cook as he led them to the title on 98 points, never dropping out of the top three from late September onwards, as well as taking them on an FA Cup run which saw them beat three Premier League teams?

Why?

49 minutes ago, Brad_owl said:

Id be more confident of next season with Cook than Moore. 

More tangible experience than Moore. Tactically a bit more aware than Moore.

I hope Moore does the job next season as for me he doesn't deserve another shot. The facts are, Moore has failed to get promotion with the best squad in the division. 

:duntmatter:

5 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

They were protesting against Cook as he led them to the title on 98 points, never dropping out of the top three from late September onwards, as well as taking them on an FA Cup run which saw them beat three Premier League teams?

Why?

😀 Here we go again. Attritional football, no style of play, horrible to watch. Didn’t handle their big players well, led to fall outs and players being benched. Couldn’t affect games, no plan b.

I went to the game with my mates, where we went 1-0 up and then lost 2-1. That started their incredible end of season run. However, the damage had been done and they all hated him at that point. They were also very unhappy about the Geldhart situ. He was their new pele but cook wouldn’t play him. When he did, he’d single-handedly be winning the game and then would be inexplicably taken off and benched for the next few games. It was the same with their other good players. The fans just couldn’t understand his decisions. 

• Like 1

Just now, Pieman said:

😀 Here we go again. Attritional football, no style of play, horrible to watch. Didn’t handle their big players well, led to fall outs and players being benched. Couldn’t affect games, no plan b.

I went to the game with my mates, where we went 1-0 up and then lost 2-1. That started their incredible end of season run. However, the damage had been done and they all hated him at that point. They were also very unhappy about the Geldhart situ. He was their new pele but cook wouldn’t play him. When he did, he’d single-handedly be winning the game and then would be inexplicably taken off and benched for the next few games. It was the same with their other good players. The fans just couldn’t understand his decisions. 

I mean, we've just had a season in which countless fans have posted their bemusement at almost every decision Moore has made, from not picking the 'right' strikers, via making the 'wrong' subs, to playing the 'wrong tactics all season'.

Yet we won 85 points and were the form team in the division from November onwards.

If that's taught us anything, it's that football fans don't have a clue what they're on about, for the most part.

The portrait you've painted of Cook sounds just as dreadful as those some have painted of Moore in recent months.

Yet he won the league with 98 points.

🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

Just now, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I mean, we've just had a season in which countless fans have posted their bemusement at almost every decision Moore has made, from not picking the 'right' strikers, via making the 'wrong' subs, to playing the 'wrong tactics all season'.

Yet we won 85 points and were the form team in the division from November onwards.

If that's taught us anything, it's that football fans don't have a clue what they're on about, for the most part.

The portrait you've painted of Cook sounds just as dreadful as those some have painted of Moore in recent months.

Yet he won the league with 98 points.

🤷‍♂️

I’m talking about the following season mate. Agreed and I posted all this later in the season when people were saying the same stuff about Moore. You’re a great poster, and I have no need to justify my comments. I know this site is full of absolute experts. But I live in Wigan, I know 20+ Wigan fans, I discussed this with them of and on for a year, especially when we were interested. Fan protests were organised outside the ground (that hasn’t happened with Moore) and 9/10 hated him with a passion, I would say that’s 1/10 for Moore. I’m telling you from the inside, I’m not making this up for my benefit. Anyway, we move on.

32 minutes ago, vulva said:

After getting asked the 4th time to move on and talk about the next game he could have moved on and talked about the next game. At that point Cook was well within his rights to end the interview. 

So managers only answer questions they want to be asked?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pieman said:

I’m talking about the following season mate. Agreed and I posted all this later in the season when people were saying the same stuff about Moore. You’re a great poster, and I have no need to justify my comments. I know this site is full of absolute experts. But I live in Wigan, I know 20+ Wigan fans, I discussed this with them of and on for a year, especially when we were interested. Fan protests were organised outside the ground (that hasn’t happened with Moore) and 9/10 hated him with a passion, I would say that’s 1/10 for Moore. I’m telling you from the inside, I’m not making this up for my benefit. Anyway, we move on.

I'm sure you're not making it up; it just didn't seem to make much sense, as I thought we were talking about the League One promotion season.

Protesting against Cook when they'd have finished 13th in the Championship the following season had they not been put into administration still seems very harsh, but there we go.

1 minute ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I'm sure you're not making it up; it just didn't seem to make much sense, as I thought we were talking about the League One promotion season.

Protesting against Cook when they'd have finished 13th in the Championship the following season had they not been put into administration still seems very harsh, but there we go.

It comes back similarly to the treatment of Moore. It was his style of play, his decision making and his handling of the fans favourites that turned the fans against him. Moore has been slated for trying to play out from the back, Corbeneau, and this supposed no plan b. Wigan fans believed this persisted over 12 months and turned on him. Moore changed tack, got results and the noise quietened, but has never gone away with fans eager to bring up cliched comment. I completely agree, it makes no sense. However, he clearly has an ego which sometimes gets in the way of the team and fans.

• Thanks 1