Hands up if you wanted Paul Cook

I was one who pushed strongly on here for Paul Cook.

He had a good record with promotions at three clubs but I was wrong.

Apparently his Assistant Manager did not go to Ipswich, stayed at Wigan and then got them promoted this season.

It has been a savage decline for Paul Cook.

Staton is an absolute tośśpot. Very childish of him there as well as being completely unprofessional. 

A good interviewer knows how far to push a point and then move on to the next topic in order to get the most out of the interviewee.

Staton just made that all about him. Then he’s thick enough to post it and think it’s something he should be proud of. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Steelman said:

Staton is an absolute tośśpot.  

He really isn't

He's a top interviewer who asks questions others won't/daren't when it matters

Literally the very definition of professional and doing his job properly

Get over it

• Like 3

Owlstalk Shop

Yeh, I'll own up, I wanted Paul Cook. But then what do I know (as anyone who has seen any of my posts knows)

lol

Regarding the interview, a little bit unnecessary to keep pursuing that line of questioning.

I get that fans are frustrated and want some answers, but suspect their fans also want to know about the upcoming game too.

The media got their story but perhaps should have taken opportunity to back off a bit and manage the situation.

1 minute ago, The coach said:

So are you sayin if we had gone and got Cook we might not have got promoted?? Phew..bullet dodged there..🕺

No - I'm saying that fans really aren't a reliable source to listen to when it comes to hiring the next manager

• Like 2

Owlstalk Shop

4 minutes ago, striker said:

Yeh, I'll own up, I wanted Paul Cook. But then what do I know (as anyone who has seen any of my posts knows)

lol

Regarding the interview, a little bit unnecessary to keep pursuing that line of questioning.

I get that fans are frustrated and want some answers, but suspect their fans also want to know about the upcoming game too.

The media got their story but perhaps should have taken opportunity to back off a bit and manage the situation.

I think the opposite

I think if people aren't pressed when being questioned when they don't give straight answers that makes all interviews pointless, as they'll just say 'I'm not answering that' and then the interviewers have to move on - that's ridiculous and easily manipulated

The questions being asked are very clear, simple, run of the mill questions that any manager should answer and should be able to answer

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

13 minutes ago, Steelman said:

Staton is an absolute tośśpot. Very childish of him there as well as being completely unprofessional. 

A good interviewer knows how far to push a point and then move on to the next topic in order to get the most out of the interviewee.

Staton just made that all about him. Then he’s thick enough to post it and think it’s something he should be proud of. 

Bit of an over reaction mate.

Just a guy doing his job and wanting answers for the fans.

Crikey, we were pelting interviewers to ask DC hard questions not so long ago.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Since coming back to Radio Sheffield, I think Rob Staton, has become more confrontational in general, not sure if he is trying to build a reputation but preferred his previous style. 

Yes ask searching questions but the line about what fans want to be asked is just a get out.

Thought he was nt professional with Cook, who gave him a get out, but he was determined not to take it. 

On Cook, I would nt have been disappointed if he had been appointed but you just don't know how things turn out. 

4 minutes ago, njh1968 said:

Since coming back to Radio Sheffield, I think Rob Staton, has become more confrontational in general, not sure if he is trying to build a reputation but preferred his previous style. 

Yes ask searching questions but the line about what fans want to be asked is just a get out.

Thought he was nt professional with Cook, who gave him a get out, but he was determined not to take it. 

On Cook, I would nt have been disappointed if he had been appointed but you just don't know how things turn out. 

Rob hasn’t changed one bit

He has never shied away from asking questions  at all

• Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop

27 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I think the opposite

I think if people aren't pressed when being questioned when they don't give straight answers that makes all interviews pointless, as they'll just say 'I'm not answering that' and then the interviewers have to move on - that's ridiculous and easily manipulated

The questions being asked are very clear, simple, run of the mill questions that any manager should answer and should be able to answer

No, fair point. I'm all for robust questioning and think Rob Staton is a very good journalist.  Maybe when he's hit a brick wall with a clearly tetchy Cook, may be a different way of asking at a later point in the interview. I just think some Chesterfield fans may feel a bit let down not to hear about the upcoming game, 

As it happens, it's only Chesterfield, so don't really give a fizz. As a neutral, an entertaining interview 😂

My personal opinion is Cook was rattled and represented himself poorly in that interview. He’s a scouser, he should be able to banter back and handle those questions with humour and ease, they were not that tough. As for Staton or anyone watching that interview, it is obvious he has struck a nerve and there is something in those questions he didn’t want to answer. Once you get a scent, it is his job to keep going, he did the right thing imo.

• Like 1

Paul Cook had a good track record and one, at the time, worth consideration.

The last 12/18 months however has seen a nosedive in his career. Has time to come back and build his reputation again but in hindsight, we dodged a bullet. 

3 hours ago, markowl said:

What could Rob have done differently, for you to believe he covered himself in glory?

I don't know, maybe moved on.

He seemed to think he was Paxman and pushed for answers he was never going to get, it was childish from both sides

28 minutes ago, njh1968 said:

Agree with your first bit..he does seem angry..how come he sneaked off to humberside in the first place? What happened? How come he wer back 5 mins later? These are the questions cook should have asked him 🤔

14 minutes ago, Gob_Bluth said:

I don't know, maybe moved on.

He seemed to think he was Paxman and pushed for answers he was never going to get, it was childish from both sides

He was asking questions that the supporters wanted asking.