Playing at home second is rubbish, and the bookies don’t seem to think it helps either

2 minutes ago, owls maniac said:

I wouldn’t be confident with us holding a 1-0 lead going into an away game at a packed SoL. 

If we equalize early on Monday we have up to the 120th minute on home soil to get a winner, in front of 33,000 Wednesdayites. 

That’s way more preferable. 

I agree 

but I also think the bookies know better than me 

those odds after a home start win show that playing at home first is the advantage 

if you don’t agree with this 

if any of you are laughing at this….

you’d be tripping over yourselves to lump a wedge on McDons at 11/1 as they only have to put one past Wycombe early to DRASTICALLY change the tide…

OR

are the bookies getting this all wrong? 

discuss 

A draw would have been nice but,1 down we are well still in this.

1 mistake was the difference that's all,they were glad for the final whistle I'd say,fans and players looked very nervous at the end..

We have this,id have taken that result before KO 1 goal in it..

It's up to us now,and with Hillsborough full and loud im very confident.....

Be a different game at home...

COME ON WEDNESDAY!!!....

1 hour ago, g-owls said:

The play-offs should follow this model. Everyone still has a chance but it’s wrong that a side finishing 6th have exactly the same chance of those finishing third. 

Game 1 - 5th v 6th

Game 2 - 3rd v 4th

Game 3 - Loser Game 2 v Winner Game 1

Game 4 - Winner game 2 v Winner Game 3

Then Wigan should start next year on plus 3 points, Rotherham plus one and us a getting in through the play-offs 0.

If Man City win the Premiership they should go straight to the semi-final of the Champions League as it wouldnt be fair for them to be treated the same as 4th place

You are talking rubbish

Ridiculous OP.

They’re only above us in the betting because they scored one goal 😂

Before Thursday, we were the favourites of the 4 teams to go up.

It’s not about the he said, she said bullsh it.

It’s about winning at Wembley. 
History & performance count for nothing. Win by any means. 
Good, bad, ugly. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Make that engraver earn his money! 👍

Bookies had Portsmouth favourites to win after 5 minutes in the in play market.

I think there's value in the MK and Wednesday odds.

We have 90 minutes to score a goal, or 2 goals if they score 1. On average we have scored twice at home this season.

Sunderland have also regularly conceded a couple of goals when playing away.

If after 90 minutes we've only won by 1, we get home advantage for extra time.

Of course this doesn't mean we will win. Got to hope this team has more about them than the one that bottled it at home against Huddersfield.

1 hour ago, Taz said:

Idk why everyone is mad at me ffs 

lol 

im just saying the teams who finished with supposed disadvantage don’t look so disadvantaged 

It is an advantage playing the 2nd leg at home but the general idea is not to lose the first leg.

1 hour ago, Beighton Owl 87 said:

I'm not saying we didn't deserve to win over the two legs just feel like there should be more of a reward for finishing 3rd ie guaranteed place at Wembley. Finishing 6th should require more work to get to Wembley. The games for Forest and Huddersfield would be huge today if the prize for finishing 3rd was that. Instead there both dead rubber games.

So the team in third gets a by and a massive advantage? 

So MK Dons - who finished 3 points ahead of us? - should be at Wembley already?

Give over.

Everyone loves penalties, right? (I don't, but bear with me...).

So the semi final starts with penalties for the side who finished highest, where each point is an extra penalty.

So yesterday, we'd have had 1 penalty at the start of the match.

Franchise would have had 6 penalties at the start of theirs.

Incentive to keep playing for points even when a playoff place is secured.

Much more incentive to try and beat the teams around you in the league.

Rewards teams for having a better season.

20 minutes ago, SiJ said:

So the team in third gets a by and a massive advantage? 

So MK Dons - who finished 3 points ahead of us? - should be at Wembley already?

Give over.

Yep. The higher you finish the better you are rewarded. I much prefer ties to be resolved in 90 minutes rather than first legs being cagey and playing not to lose. There would be less dead rubber games for teams who have already qualified for the play offs on the last day of the season. Think it would make it much more exciting. 

But we are decent favourites to win on Monday night. Which means Extra time at least. I think a one goal deficit before the home leg puts both teams in a fairly level position.

I’m hoping BPF’s penalty saving record might tip the balance in our favour!

DAF059ED-5D33-4168-8532-0B26139B005E.thumb.png.513573f567f32e624bc20c067895d832.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rotherham Owl said:

If Man City win the Premiership they should go straight to the semi-final of the Champions League as it wouldnt be fair for them to be treated the same as 4th place

But the Champions League does (in some cases) give teams who finished higher the previous season an advantage. Not for the English teams, who all go into the group stage, but this season Ajax went straight into the group stage, while PSV entered in the 2nd qualifying round. Lille and PSG went straight to the group stage; Monaco entered at the 3rd qualifying round. Zenit St Petersburg went straight to the group stage; Spartak Moscow entered at the 3rd qualifying round. Rangers entered in the 3rd qualifying round, Celtic in the 2nd. And so on.