Playing at home second is rubbish, and the bookies don’t seem to think it helps either

But if we’d have drawn last night the bookies would have us as favourites over Sunderland. They just use statistics, which say a draw at ours suits them. But we will be favourites for the one off match at ours.

• Like 1

The higher placed side should be given the option of home or away to start.

I’d much rather play at home first and go out to win it - Sunderland tried to do just that last night, I think if we played first we’d have done the business at home - now we’ve mentally got to come back from a deficit with tired legs. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

The format isn't right anyway tbh. I've thought that since we beat Brighton to get to Wembley. Didn't they finish something like 12-15 points ahead of us?

I'd have it as one off games. 5th v 6th in QF, 4th at home to winner of QF then 3rd await winners of SF at Wembley. 

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, Beighton Owl 87 said:

The format isn't right anyway tbh. I've thought that since we beat Brighton to get to Wembley. Didn't they finish something like 12-15 points ahead of us?

I'd have it as one off games. 5th v 6th in QF, 4th at home to winner of QF then 3rd await winners of SF at Wembley. 

That scenario would mean it's all to play for today for Forest and Huddersfield. Instead there is nothing to play for as they can't be caught by the teams below and they both have home advantage anyway for the second leg.

19 minutes ago, Beighton Owl 87 said:

Ive always thought that too.

Give the 3rd place team home advantage v 6th place. Makes complete sense.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, TodwickOwl said:

The higher placed side should be given the option of home or away to start.

I’d much rather play at home first and go out to win it - Sunderland tried to do just that last night, I think if we played first we’d have done the business at home - now we’ve mentally got to come back from a deficit with tired legs. 

I prefer the away leg first, let's be honest we was so jammy to make wembley after brighton away, it felt like it was written in the stars we got away with so much, I think we will pepper sunderland on monday

OH NO!

You’ve ruined my weekend. 

When all the pundits kept referring to “Sheffield Wednesday having the second leg home advantage”.

I completely misunderstood what they meant!!!

I assumed it meant Sheffield Wednesday have the second leg home advantage.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Beighton Owl 87 said:

So what?

Everyone knows the deal before the season starts.

If Brighton were that much better than us then they should have beaten us.

The same people who cried about Brighton having been so far ahead were surprisingly quiet a few seasons prior when, wait for it, Brighton (6th) faced Derby (3rd) having finished, wait for it, a whole 13 points behind them.

But guess what? Derby did what they should have done and wholloped them.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, bigthinrob said:

OH NO!

You’ve ruined my weekend. 

When all the pundits kept referring to “Sheffield Wednesday having the second leg home advantage”.

I completely misunderstood what they meant!!!

I assumed it meant Sheffield Wednesday have the second leg home advantage.

There’s no advantage the stats show that 

4 minutes ago, Kevin Pressmans Pen said:

There’s no advantage the stats show that 

What do the stat’s show re any possible advantage to the team you support of starting negative threads like this?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, SiJ said:

So what?

Everyone knows the deal before the season starts.

If Brighton were that much better than us then they should have beaten us.

The same people who cried about Brighton having been so far ahead were surprisingly quiet a few seasons prior when, wait for it, Brighton (6th) faced Derby (3rd) having finished, wait for it, a whole 13 points behind them.

But guess what? Derby did what they should have done and wholloped them.

I'm not saying we didn't deserve to win over the two legs just feel like there should be more of a reward for finishing 3rd ie guaranteed place at Wembley. Finishing 6th should require more work to get to Wembley. The games for Forest and Huddersfield would be huge today if the prize for finishing 3rd was that. Instead there both dead rubber games.

• Like 1

It's now a one off game in which we have to win, we are losing 0-1 but have the full match to recover, we are at home  we know what we need to do and I believe we have the team to do it. 

If we was playing Sunderland away and scored any early goal giving us the lead, would I expect us to go on and claim 3 points, I'd be hopeful but certainly wouldn't have been surprised if they scored an equaliser.

What it does mean is the margin for error has gone, we have to get the first goal.