George Hirst

3 minutes ago, keefdave said:

I reckon Hirst would score a hatful in this Wednesday side.

Just now, bradowl said:

Looked a much improved player to me. 

He didn't over do it when he scored so respect to him on that score. 

And - imagine if he'd have been developed at SWFC instead of having been frozen out for over a year, and then imagine if he'd not have had to go play in Belgium etc

Those who were bitter and cry and mock Hirst saying he'll never do anything - they're wrong - he's coming on leaps and bounds

• Like 4

Owlstalk Shop

On 21/04/2022 at 12:19, Miffed said:

Aye, and if he does score and celebrates in front of the stand.... the same fans will be doing a different kind of roar.  The kind of reaction when  grown men are able to dish it out but not able to take it when its given back.

Who saw that coming 😂 

On 21/04/2022 at 13:31, PTLiam said:

He'll not score. he's poo

Yeah? 

Let me guess… but he still lost so it doesn’t matter.

Looked a tidy player on Saturday.  Good movement, good touch, a bit of pace and decent physicality. He scores too.

Good age to improve considerably too. I didnt like what happened  in the past but his contract is ending and he's exactly  the kind of forward that we should have on our radar IMO. The past is done.

• Like 6

Thought he looked very tidy and was a constant threat. Imagine if we had Hirst over Kamberi/Pato/Sow this season? I think we'd be a few points better off.

Whatever your opinion on the saga I don't think you can deny he looks a decent player now and I for one would rather have him in our side than play against him.

• Like 5

I think some of the people saying he’s rubbish are just wishful thinking cos they can’t face that we might have let a talented young Wednesdayite leave for nothing.

It’ll be painful for all of us watching him develop into a quality player - even if he turns out no better than a Lee Gregory style mid-table championship striker who gets 10-15 goals a season that’s still better than most of what we’ve endured in the last 20 years.

I went on Saturday really really hoping he looked crap. But he didn’t.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, paulrs said:

I think some of the people saying he’s rubbish are just wishful thinking cos they can’t face that we might have let a talented young Wednesdayite leave for nothing.

It’ll be painful for all of us watching him develop into a quality player - even if he turns out no better than a Lee Gregory style mid-table championship striker who gets 10-15 goals a season that’s still better than most of what we’ve endured in the last 20 years.

I went on Saturday really really hoping he looked crap. But he didn’t.

So you'd have paid him 10 grand a week and waited 5 years for him to score a goal ? 

Please! 

• Like 1

I'm not going to comment on the rights and wrongs of what happened and we've no more claim to him than any other team once his contract is up but I'll just say that he's taken a leap forward despite the problems and upheaval and I still think he's really got something. That knack of being on the shoulder, in the right place at the right time. Add in that he's developed physically and has good strength and pace he'll be more than good enough for top end of the championship by the end of the 22/23 season I reckon

• Like 5

I though he was ok on Saturday but other than the history we have with him wouldn’t have thought much about him really. 
However, the people who watch him week in week out (the Pompy fans) rate him massively when you read/ listen to their blogs, Vlogs etc.

They watch him every week and I don’t so maybe they are right?

• Like 1

I'm very much of "we couldn't have kept him" school.

He was right to leave, and would have been badly advised to have stayed. . At his age, if you can leave Sheffield Wednesday for a club like Leicester, you really should do so. They pay more, in a career where your earning potential can vanish in a second. You can then develop out on a loan.  (And his father knows from his own career the importance of making robust career decisions. He must regret not pushing to go to Old Trafford).

But now we are where we are. Next season, a championship loan is surely the option. I'd be interested, if we're up there.

• Like 1

On 30/04/2022 at 15:39, paulrs said:

Harder to judge considering our dominance stifled Portsmouth’s attacking threat but I thought he looked very good. Some terrific cushioned headers, good close control, hard working, decent pace, scored one goal and nearly had another. 

Was also noticeable how Wednesday players often swarmed around him when he got the ball, they definitely saw him as a threat. 

If that’s typical of the standard he’s been playing at this season I doubt he’ll be in League One for much longer. 

Plus I backed him to score anytime so he won me £50 😁

Needed for him to play against us to realise how good he could be, pity really