George Hirst

39 minutes ago, thewookieisdown said:

I'm very much of "we couldn't have kept him" school.

He was right to leave, and would have been badly advised to have stayed. . At his age, if you can leave Sheffield Wednesday for a club like Leicester, you really should do so. They pay more, in a career where your earning potential can vanish in a second. You can then develop out on a loan.  (And his father knows from his own career the importance of making robust career decisions. He must regret not pushing to go to Old Trafford).

But now we are where we are. Next season, a championship loan is surely the option. I'd be interested, if we're up there.

Or they can be loaned out and loaned out and loaned out until they suddenly realise they’re 26 and they still don’t have a permanent club. Chelsea especially and a lot of the Prem clubs collect ‘possibles’ like George Hirst for fun and unless they’re absolutely top notch don’t really give a fu*k about their development.

Also, very difficult to hold onto a player when two former ‘legends’ have a vested financial incentive in him moving abroad FOC to a British feeder club, robbing us of even the minimum nominal agreement for the recompense of developing him for years.

Also, have never heard about Hirst senior not going to Manure!!  😙  He never mentions it!!

PS The only adverse ‘robust’ decision Hirst senior took was to carry on sloshing 10 pints a night down his neck and see himself fall further & further behind his only genuine peer but ultimate professional, Alan Shearer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, PTLiam said:

Are you saying he could come in and contribute what Gregory does? 😂

7 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

He did on Saturday

Gregory scored a goal
Hirst scored a goal

Without penalties,

thirteen goals each this season,

But Hirst played less games.

4 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

Without penalties,

Was talking about his overall contribution to a functioning team tbh

• Like 1

Question?

When the figure 101 is mentioned, do you think:

1 Room of fears in 1984

2 Cute Dalmatian puppies

3 The number of threads that Owlstalk has probably surpassed re a  former youth player who hasn't scored a single goal for the first team?

• Like 1

I always remember when people make bold predictions about a player not being very good, that this is the forum where many posters suggested that Hutchinson was a Crock, Past it and would never play for us ever again.

And some people want fan representation 😄

Wouldn't have worked out here anyway. Don't forget it took him a while to get going. Fans would have been on his back saying that that he's just living off his dad's name etc.

Look at the stick the Palmer and Dawson get

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, markg said:

Wouldn't have worked out here anyway. Don't forget it took him a while to get going. Fans would have been on his back saying that that he's just living off his dad's name etc.

Look at the stick the Palmer and Dawson get

Not to mention at the time we had Hooper, Fletcher, Forestieri, Joao & Nuhiu.

He wouldn't have got a sniff at that time.

• Like 1

Guest Willow Owl
2 hours ago, Tewkesbury said:

Without penalties,

Gregory has played less league games, scored more goals, and has more assists than Hirst this season, facts.

Gregory is also a better all round player than Hirst, definitely a fact.

Gregory is a SWFC player and Hirst isn’t, fact.

Why are our fans down playing  Gregory? Someone who has been there, seen it, done it. While trying to big up a 23 year old ex academy player that left us 4 years ago, who up until This season hadn’t scored a league goal. 
Good luck to the lad, but if it wasn’t for his name nobody would even remember him or even consider signing him. 

I get he played Saturday, and for me he was okay but nothing special. But the number of previous GH threads on Sheffield Wednesday Match day is bordering on obsession with some fans. 

HE DOES NOT PLAY FOR US.

Discuss elsewhere, transfers, wherever but FFS not match day threads.

Just my opinion

11 minutes ago, Willow Owl said:

Why are our fans down playing  Gregory?  

Absolutely nobody is doing or has done that

All people are doing is discussing George Hirst

There's 3000 pages of topics in this section
There's over 4.5 million posts for you if you don't like ones about Hirst

It's easy to avoid George Hirst threads - just ignore the threads with George Hirst in the title

lol

Owlstalk Shop

6 minutes ago, Willow Owl said:

Gregory has played less league games, scored more goals, and has more assists than Hirst this season, facts.

Why are our fans down playing  Gregory? Someone who has been there, seen it, done it. While trying to big up a 23 year old ex academy player that left us 4 years ago, who up until This season hadn’t scored a league goal. 
Good luck to the lad, but if it wasn’t for his name nobody would even remember him or even consider signing him. 

I get he played Saturday, and for me he was okay but nothing special. But the number of previous GH threads on Sheffield Wednesday Match day is bordering on obsession with some fans. 

HE DOES NOT PLAY FOR US.

Just my opinion

It's very strange tbh. 

He's better thought of than many ex players, who actually did something.

I think a few must have had bets on him playing for England or something. 

17 minutes ago, Willow Owl said:

HE DOES NOT PLAY FOR US.

Just my opinion

Gregory has played less league games, scored more goals, and has more assists than Hirst this season, facts. Most as a sub, Gregory has about 400 more minutes than Hirst.

Gregory is also a better all round player than Hirst, definitely a fact. No, an opinion.

Gregory is a SWFC player and Hirst isn’t, fact. I'll give you the last one.

I haven't had a bit of poetry criticised this much since school.

• Like 1