George Hirst

7 minutes ago, Rotherham Owl said:

"most as a sub" So a League 1 mid-table club don't think he is good enough for a regular starting position but some on here still think we should sign him if we go up. Up to a division where his record is 0 goals from 31 appearances. wtf

He played the start of the season as sub, then played every game late on, so improved as the season went on, looks pretty good to me for a young lad.

3 minutes ago, bobness said:

Ah, I misread what you'd written. I thought you were saying the bridges weren't burnt, but I now see your post is suggesting how it could've played out differently. My bad.

Only bad here are the advisors to both sides who failed to find a solution to save face both parties lost out Ultimately. 

Not just who do this this though Madrid and Bale spring to mind as does Man U and Pogba. 

Rampant egos costing clubs money and player's their careers 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

In all honesty if I was a professional footballer frozen out by a chairman from playing or training at the club in a way to force me to sign for him, I'd do my level best to find a loophole to make sure that chairman doesn't make a single penny from my move away from his club - no matter which club it is/was.

Perhaps so yes, but from a fan perspective that's an attack on the club rather than the chairman and so it elicits an emotional response. 

I'm as guilty as anyone but with Hirst, along with Shaw and Urhoghide, there does seem to be an extra demand for 'loyalty' to the club over their own career which doesn't seem to work both ways; I'm sure there are plenty of the academy players we're about to release that would happily remain loyal if we offered them a new contract, or the like of Jaden Brown or Sylla Sow who would be the most loyal players we own and stay put if given the chance but where fans will demand that we 'get rid' as they aren't good enough.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheGreatNebber said:

Perhaps so yes, but from a fan perspective that's an attack on the club rather than the chairman and so it elicits an emotional response.  

Only if that fan doesn't have a grasp of reality or isn't simply being honest and admitting to themselves that they'd do exactly the same thing if they were in his shoes

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

4 hours ago, PTLiam said:

Are you saying he could come in and contribute what Gregory does? 😂

I didn’t say that did I? 
I’ve see Hirst play twice this season (in the flesh). At Plymouth and at Hillsborough on Saturday. In both games, I thought he looked a useful player, quick, mobile and actually he has bodied up in the last year. Would I be happy to have him back? Without a doubt - he’s gonna be a good player at Championship level. 

Do I think he’s better than Gregory? Not at the moment. That finish by Gregory on Saturday was top drawer and obviously he’s a much more mature and complete player than Hirst. 

The point I was making was that Gregory is 34 on his next birthday and will need replacing sooner rather than later. Hirst has the potential to do that. Hope that clears it up for you. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

To be fair, there's a lot of blue tinted specs around here.

The reason I don't have any patience with fans who don't admit that they'd do the same, or that it's ok to NOT attack players who leave our club, is that these people are exactly the same kind of people who would slate Gregory if he left, or said 'good riddance' if Hutch left etc. One minute hero worshipping them - the next calling them names (fat alcoholilc for example) and slating them.

These people turn on one they turn on them all and consider it makes you a bigger/better fan if you do which is bizarre

No time for it

It's tedious predictable crap

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop

21 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

One was on a team that was playing for promotion, one for a team that pretty much coasted for 85 minutes.

I'd have expected him to.

Far more is a bit of a stretch though.

image.png.18bb519dc7882e6c0595348547eba6e8.pngimage.png.09ccd1493acd713c3656ae90a186efd8.png

Just noticed, Gregory committed 5 out of our team's 8 fouls.

Naughty boy.

You his dad or summat ?😯

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

The reason I don't have any patience with fans who don't admit that they'd do the same, or that it's ok to NOT attack players who leave our club, is that these people are exactly the same kind of people who would slate Gregory if he left, or said 'good riddance' if Hutch left etc - these people turn on one they turn on them all and consider it makes you a bigger/better fan if you do.

No time for it

It's tedious crap

People writing a lot of words to say they don't care on here.

My own career (not football) was wrecked through injury, so I know how fragile these jobs are, and in this day and age, where the big clubs have 'armies' of young prospects, I'd tell every one of them to follow the money.

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, Watto said:

You his dad or summat ?😯

No, just trying to find out what far more means.

One scored and made 2 key passes, the other scored, missed a big chance and commited 62% of his team's fouls.

I know who I'd say did more.

Another striker who impressed me when I saw him this season, was John Marquis and I was really surprised that Cowley let him go to Lincoln. All became clear though, when I saw how well Hirst progressed when given his opportunity. 

7 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Only if that fan doesn't have a grasp of reality or isn't simply being honest and admitting to themselves that they'd do exactly the same thing if they were in his shoes

Being a professional footballer (as opposed to having to do a regular job) and especially so for your own team is a dream for most fans of any club so I think it understandable that people don't quite see it the way the players do. Of course players may make decisions based purely on financial grounds and regret it later in their career if things don't work out or later in life when they turn a bit more sentimental. I think the jury is still out on Hirst Jr in terms of his career but this season does seem to have been a turning point and as long as he's not wasted it on fast cars and loose women I'm sure his bank balance is pretty healthy. 

Despite being no fan of MK Dons I do occasionally think about Dean Lewington who has been with them since they were formed and I think has played most of their games this season. He's an MK legend for what that's worth and whereas I'm sure he never turned down a dream move to Man U or Liverpool you do wonder if he regrets not playing for someone else at some point. 

Hirst has had the best season so far and its now up to him to push on.

That development will include choosing the right club at League One level.

His time at Wednesday was handled badly by Chansiri and Hirst. If Hirst had asked for a sensible wage and Chansiri hadnt frozen him out then things would be much  better.

The fact is football is tribal and fans do feel riled by how his departure happened. It was underhand and it f*cked the club over. So many fans will feel aggrieved by his actions and won't wish him well. In that regard he made his choice and lives with the consequences. So if fans boo him ( I didn't) then tough luck. 

I also think its poor form to run around calling people bitter and cry babies over this.

If he ever came back then I'd be happy providing he bangs in the goals. But it ain't happening.

If Hirst goes on to Vardy levels we can add it to the many what if moments.

Edited by Quickly Kevin
  • Like 3

Honest appraisal from what I've seen of him this season.

Definitely needs to fill out  a bit, weak on the ball.

Pace is decent, he's no slouch.

Touch is good.

Positionally good and found space for his goal well.

Never really looked like getting beyond our defence with the ball at his feet.

Lacks a bit of composure at times. Twice in games v us he has found himself clear and hit the ball hard but straight at the keeper. That could come with a bit more experience though.

His development has definitely suffered from his time not playing/in Belgium etc, should be further along his career path by now.

Would I want him back at the club?

In League 1 yes.

Championship? Not sure, although if we were we would probably be in a position to take a bit of a punt.

• Like 1

Easy to demonise him for sure, the way he left, the way Leicester got him, the Amish beard, etc but I'm sure there's plenty of blame to go round regarding his contract situation, and I have a silly haircut too. 

He looks a half decent player and I'd rather he stayed but hindsight and all that

Does George Hirst look any better than Madine when Madine scored 18 at this level and a few years younger. I would say no.

Hirst is by no means useless but I think he will have a career like Madine, yo yo between League 1 and Championship.

• Like 1

Guest Musttryharder
7 hours ago, PTLiam said:

He wouldn't get a game for us in front of either of them. 

That may be true but, could Gregory hack it in the Champiuonship if we got promoted. 

7 minutes ago, CourteenerOwl said:

Does George Hirst look any better than Madine when Madine scored 18 at this level and a few years younger. I would say no.

Hirst is by no means useless but I think he will have a career like Madine, yo yo between League 1 and Championship.

I said exactly the same last time we had this debate, a few months back.

For me, at the right money, I would resign him. I would do the same with Shaw. Whatever you say about these very young men, they do have sentiment towards Wednesday. I bet they both still look for our result.

Edited by Pieman
  • Like 1

Guest Musttryharder
3 minutes ago, Pieman said:

I said exactly the same last time we had this debate, a few months back.

For me, at the right money, I would resign him. I would do the same with Shaw. Whatever you say about these very young men, they do have sentiment towards Wednesday. I bet they both still look for our result.

Surely if you think he may not turn out any better than Madine irrespective of how much he would cost, why buy him. Shouldnt we be setting our standards higher according to you and CourteenerOwls assessment of George Hirst. Personally I didnt like the way he left the club but there is room for quite a bit of development in the lad. Would I want him back at our club,I honestly cannot answer that.