George Hirst

Guest DoesJackHunt
53 minutes ago, Kevin Pressmans Pen said:

we need better if the goal is to get back to the premier league. He was very poor at championship level, and thats a just ok record in a poor league 1, nothing special at 23. He isn't going to get us where we want to go, and thats before even talking about the baggage.

If we stay down then maybe there would be more merit in it but if we go up we're above his level.

I don’t disagree with that but I wouldn’t keep any of our current strikers for next season, I think that area of the squad needs a complete overhaul. say if we had a pool of 4 new strikers, I wouldn’t mind if Hirst was one of them. He’s 23 and is scoring goals in league one, he would be worth a punt in my opinion, it’s tricky to get good strikers at any level. The ones we have now aren’t going to do it are they? 

Guest Jack the Hat
22 hours ago, Daniele Giovanni said:

I would much rather have a young Cadamateri in the team, in some pre season friendlies mind, he might be ready for the step up who knows

That’s a good point. 

22 hours ago, Lime Tree Heros said:

He's never even played a senior match at Hillsborough, let's get the stadium bouncing and show him what could have been...

Yeah, because he wont have experienced a crowd at Hillsborough before will he..... y'know, being a former youth player and a fan and all that 🤦‍♂️

On 20/04/2022 at 08:57, PTLiam said:

I Hope Dean absoloutley ends him after about 5 minutes. Put him in row 3 of the North and listen to the roar. 

Aye, and if he does score and celebrates in front of the stand.... the same fans will be doing a different kind of roar.  The kind of reaction when  grown men are able to dish it out but not able to take it when its given back.

• Haha 1

If it wasn’t for his dad we would not be writing about George Hirst.

It was obvious to most that at 18 David Hirst was a special talent.  I remember his goal at Hillsborough when he scored against Manchester United.

If you wanted to build a complete striker you would take a lot of the attributes David Hirst had - blistering pace, strong, good in the air, thunderous shot and could score tap ins or from long range.

Had Bould not crocked him and Hirst looked after himself better (rather than being part of the drinking culture prevalent with many footballers at that time) he would have been exceptional.  

• Like 2

Guest Musttryharder
On 20/04/2022 at 10:00, @owlstalk said:

I LOVE THIS IDEA!!

Instant way of identifying who the sad plebs are in the ground!I

I think if that happened assuming your a non pleb, you would be in the minority. 

1 hour ago, Miffed said:

Aye, and if he does score and celebrates in front of the stand.... the same fans will be doing a different kind of roar.  The kind of reaction when  grown men are able to dish it out but not able to take it when its given back.

He'll not score. he's poo

• Haha 2

We do seem to get to strange extremes on Hirst.

Five years ago there were apparently adult people who had watched actual games of football advocating that he be part of a squad playing in the top half of the championship.

Now he's obviously a pretty reasonable league one striker and some want to dismiss him. 

Given he is likely still to have improvement in him, I could imagine him ending up as a decent serviceable championship striker. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, DoesJackHunt said:

I don’t disagree with that but I wouldn’t keep any of our current strikers for next season, I think that area of the squad needs a complete overhaul. say if we had a pool of 4 new strikers, I wouldn’t mind if Hirst was one of them. He’s 23 and is scoring goals in league one, he would be worth a punt in my opinion, it’s tricky to get good strikers at any level. The ones we have now aren’t going to do it are they? 

Rather have an Alfie May or a Cole Stockton who have scored loads more than him in the same league tbh

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Marro said:

This always gets said but I really don’t agree.

I think the fallout of his move and the mists of time have clouded the fact we had a homegrown centre forward who was scoring a goal a game for the u18s, almost the same for the u23s when still a teenager, made the match day squad at age 18, was a regular for England youth and finished top scorer in an international tournament. 

On that basis he must’ve been one of the top striking talents in Europe for his age at the time and I don’t recall Wednesday producing any other player fitting that category during my lifetime. 

Obviously his career then went into a tailspin from which he’s only just emerging 5 years later but that doesn’t detract from the fact he was a fantastic prospect at age 17/18 regardless of his name/father.

I agree with everything you said about Hirst snr though. He may not have been as dedicated professional as Alan Shearer but he was IMO a more talented footballer

• Like 5
  • Love 2

Guest DoesJackHunt
57 minutes ago, PTLiam said:

Rather have an Alfie May or a Cole Stockton who have scored loads more than him in the same league tbh

Well let’s get all three and a young premier league striker as well.

I honestly hope we have four new strikers on the books for next season especially if we go up. 

1 hour ago, PTLiam said:

Both potentially one season wonders tbh.  

Stockton has a bit more pedigree scoring double figures last season in the league below I guess but Alfie May has never really shown this form before and is almost 29.

I could be wrong though. But it’s the risk you take with players after one good season. Sometimes it’s just a purple patch where the stars have aligned and the player has the right players around him. 

On 20/04/2022 at 17:03, paulrs said:

Ignoring the history, if there was another 23yo striker who’d scored 12 in 29 starts this season inc 8 in his last 14, was a Wednesdayite from Sheffield and was likely to be available on a free this summer I think most people would be saying snap him up… certainly if we’re still in this division next season.

And he'd be off with his Dad the first chance an extra grand a week came along...  no thanks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest FoxOwl12
On 20/04/2022 at 13:48, Daniele Giovanni said:

I would much rather have a young Cadamateri in the team, in some pre season friendlies mind, he might be ready for the step up who knows

Definiteley. He's a better striker than Hurst was at his age.

6 hours ago, paulrs said:

This always gets said but I really don’t agree.

I think the fallout of his move and the mists of time have clouded the fact we had a homegrown centre forward who was scoring a goal a game for the u18s, almost the same for the u23s when still a teenager, made the match day squad at age 18, was a regular for England youth and finished top scorer in an international tournament. 

On that basis he must’ve been one of the top striking talents in Europe for his age at the time and I don’t recall Wednesday producing any other player fitting that category during my lifetime. 

Obviously his career then went into a tailspin from which he’s only just emerging 5 years later but that doesn’t detract from the fact he was a fantastic prospect at age 17/18 regardless of his name/father.

I agree with everything you said about Hirst snr though. He may not have been as dedicated professional as Alan Shearer but he was IMO a more talented footballer

Whilst I don’t doubt George showed some potential at S6, I wouldn’t describe him as one of the hottest prospects in Europe.  

Really good prospects break the door down and force there way into a team.  By comparison,  Hirst senior was cutting it in the top flight at 18.

Having said that the unsavoury departure of GH has set the lad back and perhaps Chansiri/the club could in hindsight have handled the situation better.  GH may well establish himself as a Championship striker but I don’t pine for his return as some Wednesdayites do.

14 hours ago, Marro said:

It was obvious to most that at 18 David Hirst was a special talent.  I remember his goal at Hillsborough when he scored against Manchester United.

If you wanted to build a complete striker you would take a lot of the attributes David Hirst had - blistering pace, strong, good in the air, thunderous shot and could score tap ins or from long range.

Had Bould not crocked him and Hirst looked after himself better (rather than being part of the drinking culture prevalent with many footballers at that time) he would have been exceptional.  

Even then, Hirst was only a fringe player, didn't really come into his own until three or four years later. Basically same age as his lad, and remember DC robbed him of two years of his development. 

He may turn into the finished article yet, or of course he may just have found his level. Who knows?

• Like 1