Would you be happy with a stadium like MK Dons style?

I really love Hillsborough, but probably only because I've moved away from Sheffield. I especially remember night games watched from the uncovered seats, looking at the great asymmetrical triangle of the Kop outlined against the night sky, with all the twinkling cigarette lighters.

But if I went for the first time now I wouldn't be impressed.

This year I've been to Brentford, Arsenal, Spurs and West Ham. I still don't understand why Brentford didn't put in more seats. Their capacity is 17,250 including 930 Premium seats, whatever they are, with I think an option to extend to 25,000. It's unattractive but well-placed, there's a cut-through to the train back to central London without even going out to the road. Obviously we'd need bigger.

The Olympic Stadium is rubbish for watching football, but getting it on the cheap has obviously allowed West Ham to improve their team.

I was impressed by the Emirates when it was opened, but it's more for the “library” style of Arsenal fan. Classy, good concourses, comfortable seats.

The Tottenham Hotspur stadium (I guess they named it that because they're looking for naming sponsorship) is a different beast, based on the Dortmund ground with input from an acoustics expert, it's good for making a noise, it's better than the Emirates.

But they're too big for a club which we all believe will get back to the Premiership but is likely to spend some of its time in the Championship. The MK Dons Stadium looked good to me as a starting point for the architects, if we get to rebuild or move.

7 hours ago, Django said:

I was impressed 

Football isn’t beer, pies and farting anymore like it was in the 80’s and 90’s 

It’s moved on

Oh I didn't know it was a non-farting stadium!! I apologise.

Is that the radio Sheffield commentary reference to 5 and half Wednesday fans errupting after banana's goal? (6min 6s extended highlights) 

I'd have a new stadium similar to MK Dons in a heartbeat... somewhere near meadowhall to make use of infrastructure around there, make it on the small side so we pack it out more often than not but with room for further development.

Think we need to get a team worthy of gracing the stadium first though

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Guest 1banana2banana
On 16/04/2022 at 21:40, Daryl Catpiss said:

Just out of interest, those that say no to this, any suggestions of modern day stadiums you do like? 

Not many for me and mainly due to the locations they have to use. I’d much prefer the refurb of Hillsborough 

Back to Olive Grove..get all the Hillsborough inhabitants up in arms about having to travel across town on a Saturday afternoon.

if you don’t live in  Hillsborough or the locale, it’s a pain In backside to get to

What is the capacity of MK Dons stadium On tv it looked very 'lop-sided' crowdwise. The entire Wednesday end was obviously jam packed with Owls supporters, but most other parts seemed to be empty. The home support was disgusting. To have a team in what was Automatic promotion playing on a Bank Holiday against a side pushing for a play-off spot, with a half-empty ground, made Hillsborough look full with only 3 sides .

As for their support least said, soonest mended.

As for comparison with London grounds, the capital has had far more in comparison spent on its infra structure compared to Sheffield. Despite our antiquated stadium, our ground is empty within 30min of full time,and,even travelling back to Buxton via the Glossop,Hope Valley, Winnats pass, rarely saw much more than 90min after the final whistle

I often used tomwalkacross the Park and to Hillsborough Corner, pick up a Halfway Tram to its terminus, reach my car and travel a further 20 min home in under90 mins when i lived in Clowne.

fast travel anywhere is a fallacy. The time saved in faster rail links etc is merely minutes, and can readily be built into one's timetable.If you want to go out for an evening ,begining at ,say 7.00, don't go to a match begining at 3pm. Either miss the game, or arrange your evening to begin at 8pm.

I do agree with Buxton's point. I can stay until full time, clap the team off if appropriate, and be at home in the Hope Valley comfortably by 6. That's based on being able to walk quite quickly uphill to the car. Whereas when I go racing, I often leave before the last to avoid spending half an hour in a car park.

I can't imagine a relocated ground being more accessible for me. All the same, I'm afraid Hillsborough isn't any longer fit for purpose

There’s a reason this country’s two most successful football clubs, Liverpool and Man Utd have kept their old grounds. Tradition and respecting the view of the majority of supporters. 

Liverpool have made a fantastic job of rebuilding Anfield, which is very similar in its location to Hillsborough. Massive park nearby, loads of old houses surrounding it. Main road running directly behind the Kop. No river though! 

Man Utd have decided to do the same with Old Trafford, rather than build an IKEA stadium. 

I feel sure that if and when the time comes, Wednesday would put any proposals out for consultation (I know, not Chansiri’s forte) and if one option was to redevelop Hillsborough, the fans would overwhelmingly support it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Devonstrix said:

There’s a reason this country’s two most successful football clubs, Liverpool and Man Utd have kept their old grounds. Tradition and respecting the view of the majority of supporters. 

Liverpool have made a fantastic job of rebuilding Anfield, which is very similar in its location to Hillsborough. Massive park nearby, loads of old houses surrounding it. Main road running directly behind the Kop. No river though! 

Man Utd have decided to do the same with Old Trafford, rather than build an IKEA stadium. 

I feel sure that if and when the time comes, Wednesday would put any proposals out for consultation (I know, not Chansiri’s forte) and if one option was to redevelop Hillsborough, the fans would overwhelmingly support it. 

But they both have ample land around the stadium to make it work.

We have zero land around the stadium and even less parking.

Longer term moving is the only option if we ever want to seriously move forward on and off the pitch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hallam_stallion said:

But they both have ample land around the stadium to make it work.

We have zero land around the stadium and even less parking.

Longer term moving is the only option if we ever want to seriously move forward on and off the pitch.

Their stadiums are also not associated with fatalities. 

But yes. We have no room. The Kop is built on an angled grassy hill. There’s just about enough room either side of it for two small car parks and a ‘’megastore’’. Other than that there’s no space to work with.

If we were to suddenly become Uber successful then I’d maybe look at some redevelopment plans. Without that, I think it would be cheaper to just build elsewhere.

2 minutes ago, FlyingOwl said:

Their stadiums are also not associated with fatalities. 

But yes. We have no room. The Kop is built on an angled grassy hill. There’s just about enough room either side of it for two small car parks and a ‘’megastore’’. Other than that there’s no space to work with.

If we were to suddenly become Uber successful then I’d maybe look at some redevelopment plans. Without that, I think it would be cheaper to just build elsewhere.

Angled grassy hills can be taken away.  

2 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Angled grassy hills can be taken away.  

Wasn’t it said before that this would be ridiculously expensive if we also wanted to take out the Kop pillars (like the World Cup plans). 

Im sure it was said before that it would be cheaper to move than to redevelop the Kop to bring it up to modern day standards.

• Like 1