Would you be happy with a stadium like MK Dons style?

I think it’s too big for them (no disrespect) and that makes you think ‘Soulless’…. It looked like Cineworld for a rubbish film in the home ends… but filled with Wednesday fans I think it’d be good. 

If it helps Wednesday get their act together and acts as a platform to build on in several areas, catering etc then it could be for the best. 

11 hours ago, Dooogs said:

I didn't mind Reading's from the inside, although the location was awful. Any good modern stadia built abroad?

I’ve been to Espanyol’s Stadium and was very impressed. It holds 40k but sees bigger? Modern and had a great atmosphere

Mk Dons ground is fine but the location of it and a lot of new grounds is my issue 

Hillsborough as a location os great, lots of pubs, cafes,takeaways and shops within walking distance of the ground.

Refurbish or build a new ground one or the other but stay in the middle of our community and home.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Absolutely yes. Hillsborough is a relic, tarnished by the worse football atrocity on these shores and it’s holding us back as a club. Be plenty big enough, be loads cheaper to run and maintain and create loads more non match day income, especially if built nearer the m1. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NorthernOwl said:

Yes looks great in my opinion. Far better than Hillsborough.

I agree. And their fans add to the atmosphere that the stadium evokes…. they really showed are travelling support up last night…..I was going to go on but I think that I’ll stop now as there’s always a few hungover souls who struggle to recognise sarcasm.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, scilly owl said:

I agree. And their fans add to the atmosphere that the stadium evokes…. they really showed are travelling support up last night…..I was going to go on but I think that I’ll stop now as there’s always a few hungover souls who struggle to recognise sarcasm.

Nor sure what the size of their fanbase has to do with how good their stadium is?

Anyway given Hillsborough is always half empty and has no atmosphere we are not really in a position to gloat.

• Like 4

If the current Hillsborough could be fully modernised, top to bottom, then that would be my preference but I suspect the architects would suggest it isn't cost effective to do so.

In the alternative, I'd snap your hand off for the MK Don's stadium as it is built to allow another tier to go on top I understand.

• Like 3

The biggest problem to me is how generic it is. Very much a utilitarian soulless bowl in appearance.

If you compare it with, for example Pride Park, it is similar in size, but far more uniform. For whatever reason it makes it look a lot smaller and much less imposing.

I just can't imagine getting the same excitement walking up to that on a night game when you can't see inside from any angle and the floodlights are unlikely to spill light from it.

The one thing I do think is clever is that they built it with a higher roof so that they can put in a higher tier if it is ever necessary.I like the idea of building something a little smaller that is already set up for expansion without any real upheaval or change. If you needed to increase the capacity of one stand, you probably wouldn't even need to close the stand to do it.

Of course the problem there could be that the high roof might not hold the atmosphere in, especially when it is nowhere near full.

I must admit, normally when we have a normal attendance of around 8/9000 it does feel empty. But on the handful of times we’ve sold it out it’s amazing, I love our stadium. One day, maybe, it will be big enough for us if we get those promotions. Of course it’s far too big now, but maybe not one day. 

you are also correct. They can add another 10,000 seats in, if required. Though I don’t think we’ll ever need that!

• Thanks 1