Would you be happy with a stadium like MK Dons style?

1 minute ago, Sham67 said:

I’d love to see Hillsborough updated to a similar standard.

Can that realistically be done without knocking it down and starting again?

I'm certainly no expert, but I always thought that trying to update Hillsborough to the required standard would cost a lot more than relocating to a new ground?

19 hours ago, Daryl Catpiss said:

Just out of interest, those that say no to this, any suggestions of modern day stadiums you do like? 

I do like modern stadiums, but not to replace Hillsborough.

Hillsborough is HOME, is tradition, is history, it's unique, it has character - but mainly it's our HOME.

Modern stadiums are nice to visit, but not as our home ground.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Can that realistically be done without knocking it down and starting again?

I'm certainly no expert, but I always thought that trying to update Hillsborough to the required standard would cost a lot more than relocating to a new ground?

It might do, but it’s only a 20 minute walk to the ground for me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, GermanBird said:

I do like modern stadiums, but not to replace Hillsborough.

Hillsborough is HOME, is tradition, is history, it's unique, it has character - but mainly it's our HOME.

Modern stadiums are nice to visit, but not as our home ground.

Give over

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, 4evaowl said:

If the current Hillsborough could be fully modernised, top to bottom, then that would be my preference but I suspect the architects would suggest it isn't cost effective to do so.

In the alternative, I'd snap your hand off for the MK Don's stadium as it is built to allow another tier to go on top I understand.

Do you mean Relocate to MK? The EFL and FA would never allow that to happen 🤔

• Haha 1

To me there are really two parts to any new stadium question.

Firstly - would you like a new stadium?

Secondly - where should it be?

I would be wholeheartedly be behind a new stadium - Hillsborough, much as I love the old girl, is now hopelessly outdated and to be frank, year on year less fit for purpose. A new stadium similar in ethos (but not detail design) to Stadium MK, could be ideal for us 30k capacity currently with scope to increase to 45k capacity complying with UEFA Elite Stadium regulations - what's not to like? Personally I think that as the years go by with little / no investment in Hillsborough, it increasingly becomes a case of when not if we get a new stadium.

The where should it be question is the tricky one... Take Reading or Brighton for example, not bad new stadiums, but terrible locations, one on an industrial estate the other so far out of town you get a free train ticket with every match ticket bought...

The obvious location would be Hillsborough Park, whilst I can understand a whole raft of objections and reasons why it wouldn't be feasible, having worked for years in Construction Project Planning, when it comes to Planning Approval, if there's a will, there's usually a way.

• Like 4

Some new stadium are great especially Emirates, Etihad, Pride park isn’t bad either 

Some are sheite like King power and Ricoh arena

Id be up for a move as long as it wasn’t a symmetrical 30k capacity job

100% 

One of the better away grounds I've been too 

When tin pot clubs like mk Don's have a better ground than a club like ours you know you need a upgrade/new ground 

Also the people saying 'soulless bowl' are funny 

Hillsborough must be one of the most boring grounds to visit in the country 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Lime Tree Heros said:

The where should it be question is the tricky one... Take Reading or Brighton for example, not bad new stadiums, but terrible locations, one on an industrial estate the other so far out of town you get a free train ticket with every match ticket bought...

Perfect place WAS where Hillsborough college was built.

Now the only realistic place that has land waiting to be developed is around Meadowhall.    There are about four area's that are large enough and that area could cope with the extra traffic.

I think there is one place just the side of Attercliffe road too that would be large enough, going from memory - it may need to span the canal though.

21 minutes ago, Lime Tree Heros said:

To me there are really two parts to any new stadium question.

Firstly - would you like a new stadium?

Secondly - where should it be?

I would be wholeheartedly be behind a new stadium - Hillsborough, much as I love the old girl, is now hopelessly outdated and to be frank, year on year less fit for purpose. A new stadium similar in ethos (but not detail design) to Stadium MK, could be ideal for us 30k capacity currently with scope to increase to 45k capacity complying with UEFA Elite Stadium regulations - what's not to like? Personally I think that as the years go by with little / no investment in Hillsborough, it increasingly becomes a case of when not if we get a new stadium.

The obvious location would be Hillsborough Park, whilst I can understand a whole raft of objections and reasons why it wouldn't be feasible, having worked for years in Construction Project Planning, when it comes to Planning Approval, if there's a will, there's usually a way.

Will never happen - it would garner too much hatred from Sheffielder's to start with, and are there not covenants to stop this?

A smaller version of Spurs new stadium would be awesome.

I like the idea of having 1 large tier stand similar to the kop.

But tbh, yeah, the stadium mk is great.

All this speil about Hillsborough being our home is nonsense. Loads of clubs move stadiums every year.

We would soon get over it and start to love the new stadium.

Plus it would definitely increase attendances and probably the atmosphere too. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, DaveClark said:

Will never happen - it would garner too much hatred from Sheffielder's to start with, and are there not covenants to stop this?

I don’t know about any covenants, but they can usually be overcome as can local objections, which you will always get.

The key, I have found is to approach it from the view point of those objecting and to focus on overcoming their objections (you can ignore the 'I don’t like it' brigade - in Planning terms that's not a valid objection). If we were to develop some or all of Hillsborough Park the locals would lose a community asset, so the first thing to do is make sure your proposal replaces that community asset and improves on it, the development needs to benefit the local community and not just SWFC - then it becomes, look what we'll do for you if you just let us have Hillsborough Park.

• Like 1

I think my objection to new grounds is their uniformity. Look at any Hillsborough stand and it’s a unique view, that’s part of the charm.  Nothing to stop thought being put in to a new stadium to make it special, it just rarely happens though.