Chansiri's managerial appointments - Best to Worst?

Who is Chansiri's best appointment?  

209 members have voted

1. 1. Best manager?

• Carlos Carvalhal
    • Jos Luhukay
    • Steve Bruce
    • Garry Monk
    • Tony Pulis
    • Darren Moore

Bruce

carlos

moore

thompson

bully

monk

lukahay & pulls equal

Bruce sic!

bruce top and bottom for me.

Top because he would have been the very best of the lot had he stayed.

Bottom because he took the ********. We gave him such incredible patience to wait for him to finish a jolly to watch England tests in the West Indies… and followed it up by deserting us just at the point meaningful change could’ve happened.

On 02/04/2022 at 09:26, TrickyTrev said:

Best - Bruce.

Worst - Carlos.

Chansiri’s entire plan A was wasted on Carlos and we are still counting the cost now. Most competent managers could’ve achieved what he did with that side, our no shows at Wembley and then in the following years play off campaign were pathetic.

Seriously? Carlos worse than Pulis, Monk and Jos?

I'm a critic of Carlos for the way we played in his second season but the first season was very good, I've been watching Wednesday for 50 years and he gave us 2 of the best evenings ever in the Brighton and Arsenal games. Re the no show at Wembley, we aren't the first and won't be the last team to underperform at Wembley. Having said that, even if we'd played well, we'd still probably have lost as Hull were a better team (still had most of the team that got relegated). The only team we beat from the top 6 all season was Brighton in the play off first leg (where we rode our luck a bit in the first 20 minutes at home) and I'm still amazed how we survived the first half of the second leg.

His second season was different, the football we had to endure was tedious and if you play like that, the end has to justify the means and the inept failure against Huddersfield meant that season was a failure. I don't think he was in charge of transfer policy so he can't be blamed for the purchases of Rhodes (past his best), Abdi (would never fit into Carlos's style of play as he was ideal for 433) and Van Aken (just nowhere near good enough), which (plus not cashing in on FF when he threw his dummy out) are ultimately why we got in a financial mess.

On 02/04/2022 at 09:26, TrickyTrev said:

Best - Bruce.

Worst - Carlos.

Chansiri’s entire plan A was wasted on Carlos and we are still counting the cost now. Most competent managers could’ve achieved what he did with that side, our no shows at Wembley and then in the following years play off campaign were pathetic.

Give over 🤣

this is a difficult 1 as each manager has had a different hand of cards  to play. carlos by a mile the worst he set the club back 10 years possibly longer was given a massive loot and blew it . until we get success again via promotion  it cant be classed as a successful . its 50/50 we will get top 6 and if we dont get the minimum of top6 darren moore will also be classed as a failure . 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Carlos by far the best manager.  Looking forward to his imminent return. 

I think Carlos would think he had unfinished business here, but he will only come when we are a Championship side and he is no longer in high demand.

Edited by Tony Pulis
  • Like 1

On 02/04/2022 at 09:22, Tony Pulis said:

I think for me it goes in this order...

1. Brucey (think he could've taken us up if he hadn't jumped ship, good appointment though)

2. Carlos (went very close to a great promotion, but had lost of money to spend and crippled several players like Lee, although on the other side clearly wasn't in charge of recruitment)

3. Moore (has stabilized the team and has brought some positive change about, although could be seen as a disappointment if we fail to get playoffs)

4. Luhukay (never in danger of relegation with a tight budget and had a great attitude towards young players)

5. Monk (all talk and no deliver. Isolated some key players. Oversaw a massive self-implotion in less than six months).

6. Pulis (absolute timewasting t***. Out of date football and horrible attitude)

I’d have to go with Carlos 1st given he actually stayed and got the play offs. Bruce is 2nd, a lot of that is based on reputation elsewhere, but he had us moving back in the right direction when he went.

Jos was a fish out of water in the wrong country but at least he had a bit of a track record compared to some of those other appointments. Would put him at 3, but at the time was disappointed he came in after Carlos and was relieved when he was replaced by Bruce.

Moore is at 4 for me, not particularly impressed so far. He’s still in post though so if he gets us up and then moves us forward at championship level he’s going to move up the rankings. I just think last season, would a Monk or Jos have kept us up in those last 15 or so games he had. I think maybe, maybe not but there was nothing impressive about our results under him. This season has been a bit underwhelming overall, I accept we’re finishing strong and might end up only about 5 points off automatics but we haven’t challenged. 5th place is basically a bit of a disappointment given the budget and quality of some of the players. Do I think 5th or better in this league could have been achieved by the other managers we’ve had - yes.

Monk I didn’t like, either his manner or how he managed the squad, and he presided over the slide towards the bottom of the league so going to put him at 5.

Pulis wasn’t here long enough to judge. Here for 10 games, awful for the first 8 but in those 2 of them were games where we had a man sent off in the first half an hour (Windass vs Preston, Shaw vs Reading) and a lot of the games were against sides in and around top 6 (weren’t games 2-5 all against top 6 sides at the time). He got 4 points from his last two then wasn’t going to be backed in the transfer window so walked out. Reckon if he had been backed and stayed he’d have just about managed to keep us up but makes your eyes bleed. 

1. Carlos - got us the closest to the Premier League since we got relegated. Great football and constant media attention. We were relevant again for a while.

2. Moore - steadied us and brought in some decent players on next to nothing. Turned a corner of negativity.

3. Bruce - decent appointment but not here long enough. Got a decent return out of him I guess.

4. Jos - Not as bad as made out. Kept us up on nothing pretty much.

5. Monk - Meh

6. Pulis - not here long enough to judge properly, but didn't exactly leave a great legacy.

• Like 2

Personally I agree that, had he stayed, Bruce would have proven himself to be our best manager in a long time but I can't vote him above someone who got us to the playoff final and semi finals in consecutive seasons based on what I believe might have happened. Could have been doesn't cut it for me. 

On that basis Carlos has been the best 

• Like 1

Worst - Pulis, Monk and Jos all worked under joke conditions but for sheer eye-bleeding attritional performances and poor points return, Pulis gets the nod.

Best hmmm:-

Carlos, a breath of fresh air first season  but ultimately  left us with a poorly performing, overpaid squad that had a massive negative impact on the club that we've not yet recovered from. Best backed  financially of all the DC appointments 

Bruce -  His profile seemed to allow him a bit more autonomy than afforded Pulis ,Monk and Jos and could've been the best but didn't stay to cement that accolade. 

Moore -  after a less than auspicious first part of his tenure (and I include earlier this season) his stock is now far higher. In terms of recruitment and ostensibly in terms of autonomy, especially, he's been backed better than most of his predecessors since Carlos. For obvious reasons I hope that he goes on to be indisputably the best of them all.

• Like 2

It's difficult to rank them objectively when they have had to operate under quite different constraints.

I would say Bruce was the best. He was highly experienced, a promotion winner at Championship level and had a great knowledge of the game. If he'd stayed, I don't think we would have gone down.

Carlos is a bit of an enigma. You can't deny two successive play-off campaigns is worth something, but he had the most resources of any of Chansiri's appointments and there is an argument that he should have done better. How much involvement did he have with recruitment? I can't believe he had none. The decline was established in his third season, and I think he shares some (but by no means all) of the blame.

Biggest disappointment, personally, was Luhakay. There was a lot about his background and philosophy I liked, and there were a couple of times it looked like we might be on the verge of something special. But he also made some odd decisions and wasn't a particularly good man manager. When the wheels fell off, that was that.

Biggest disappointment in reality was Pulis. He was appointed to grind out the results needed to keep us up. Utterly failed.

Biggest unknown quantity was Monk. Personally I would never have appointed him; he was too much of a journeyman, too many clouds over his professional behaviour. Then again, he had kept Birmingham up after a points deduction so he had been in that situation before. And we started well enough. We'll never know if he would have succeeded. My guess is we might have just stayed up but he would have had to deal with a whole bunch of new problems this season

Moore is the only one of DCs appointments to have managed us in L1. Its fair to say he polarises opinion, but personally speaking I think he's doing a good job. Hopefully history will judge him as the man who stopped the rot and pointed us in the right direction. But even if we don't go up this season, the expectations going forward been raised and he is going to have to  respond to that.

6 hours ago, sexpistol said:

Give over 🤣

Chansiri’s plan A was s**t or bust with regards to getting promoted in the first 2 seasons so the idiot went and gave the gig to a journey man manager who’d previously had 10 jobs in 10 years and hadn’t worked for the last 2.

5 hours ago, CalmJimmers said:

1. Carlos - got us the closest to the Premier League since we got relegated. Great football and constant media attention. We were relevant again for a while.

2. Moore - steadied us and brought in some decent players on next to nothing. Turned a corner of negativity.

3. Bruce - decent appointment but not here long enough. Got a decent return out of him I guess.

4. Jos - Not as bad as made out. Kept us up on nothing pretty much.

5. Monk - Meh

6. Pulis - not here long enough to judge properly, but didn't exactly leave a great legacy.

This is the right order.

Carlos built an entertaining team despite having some players (Rhodes, Abdi, etc.) forced on him, but ultimately fell short. Moore has the capacity to go up or down based on how the coming months unfold. Bruce never stuck around to prove himself. Jos had a tricky job and went about it badly. Monk had a hard hand but went about it even worse, signed bad players and fell out with most of the good ones. Pulis was just dreadful.

• Thanks 1

Very difficult to compare as it isn't like for like.  We played the best football under Carlos, but he spent an absolute fortune, both on transfers and wages, and is the reason we are in the mess we are in now.  Whereas Moore has had to rely on free transfers and loans.