Weird soft spots for clubs you have no connection with...

On 01/03/2022 at 21:10, owlinexile said:

I was thinking earlier about the direction of football and how all these 'fans of the future' manage to glom onto random football clubs on the other side of the world that they have absolutely nothing to do with, like Man City or Barcelona.  They have often never been to any of these places, and know nothing about the town/city or the history of the club etc.  But they still randomly seem to be able to pick them somehow and suddenly become 'super fans' who will happily plan their 'vacation of a lifetime' to go to Anfield or wherever and drop the price of a season ticket in one evening  on half-and-half scarves and full pro kits and stuff.

It didn't really make a lot of sense.  But then I realised that 'traditional' football fans sort of do it too.  For example, I have lived in Edinburgh for 20 years.  My wife is a Hearts fan; you would expect if I had a Scottish team, it would be them 

But no; instead I randomly developed a soft spot for Kilmarnock.  Based entirely on the fact that they play in blue and white, and originally started off as a cricket team.  I have never been to f***ing Kilmarnock in my life; I have definitely picked up a bit of my wife's Edinburgh disdain for literally everywhere west of around Bathgate.  I know they make a nice steak pie and that's where Johnnie Walker came from... but that's about it...

So - what random football club have you picked up an entirely illogical fondness for, and why?  I'm sure there must be some good stories out there....?

Funnily enough, went on a bit of a road trip to Scotland about 20 odd years ago  and identified a European qualifying round tie between Kilmarnock & Shelbourne from Ireland as a match to go to. 

Took us flipping ages to get to Kilmarnock,  and lets say it's not the prettiest of places. Nice enough ground though. Couldn't find any digs after the match and ended up sleeping in the car in a lay by. 

Just checked the date of the game ..14/8/1997 !!  

• Like 1

Partick Thistle. Worked a lot on ships in Glasgow and always remember this guy saying to me “Catholics support Celtic, Protestants support Rangers and anyone with a brain in there head supports Partick!” Always stuck with me. It was Glasgow so obviously I have cleaned the language in the quote up.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 5

On 03/03/2022 at 20:51, fudge27 said:

Loved Ajax and Dortmund growing up.

Quite like Coventry back home and locally always liked Barnsley, always seem to do well against them and a good away day 

I liked Dortmund too, think it was the Hi-viz kit of the 90s that did it for me 👍

Growing up as a kid i like Everton, they had Lineker, Pat Van den Hauwe, Big Nev, Peter Reid, Kevin Ratcliffe  and a few others, when I was a kid it seem to be Liverpool and Everton and I had family in West Kirby, so Everton seem the right choice.

Until I start going to see the Owls regular in the late 80's Everton were my second team. 

Had a soft spot for Man City since days of Colin Bell, I remember them beating Man U 4-0 in league cup and I watched it on BBC Sportsnight and was impressed with fantastic attacking football they played that night. 

On 01/03/2022 at 19:01, R-Sole14 said:

Sheffield Wednesday

Except for Nashville SC I've no physical connection to any of the teams I like. 

Been a Wednesday fan since th '94 WC because of John Harkes, so I guess there is that connection. 

Dumbarton FC - I like the elephant on the badge. Met a couple of their fans online and still keep up with them. 

Rovrum - Won the Prem title with them on my sons gameboy about 10 years ago and I then met a fan of theirs over at bigsoccer.com lol. 

Lincoln City - I like their badge and nickname so I keep up with them a little bit. 

16 hours ago, Wing Back said:

Dundee.

I once drove there in my bare feet.

This...

I'm blown away by the fact that there are two clubs with decent sized stadiums and are only 0.2 of a mile apart from each other... 

Tannadice Park(Dundee United) - 14,223 capacity

Den's Park(Dundee FC) - 11,775 capacity

image.png.e2c6d74e380f25cb36650bde73b4ffea.png

• Like 3

On 05/03/2022 at 07:22, Django said:

I quite like to see Forest doing well 

Imo a club very similar to ourselves that has been absolutely useless for far too long 

On the beeb (the last time Forest were on for the the FA cup) Keown said Forest had endured 20 years of pain.  I thought what a crock of st.

Typical bollards from someone who only had only ever been part of the Premier League in club.

11 hours ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

On the beeb (the last time Forest were on for the the FA cup) Keown said Forest had endured 20 years of pain.  I thought what a crock of st.

Typical bollards from someone who only had only ever been part of the Premier League in club.

1 promotion in 20 years is less than even we have managed

• Haha 1

On 08/03/2022 at 15:31, Giant Hogweed said:

Yea, me as well.

On 09/03/2022 at 09:30, FinnishOwl said:

I'm also a closet Torquay fan. I don't follow them that closely but I've had a soft spot for the club for 40 years or so. Whenever I play a footy management game, I try to manage them.

We used to have our family holidays in Torquay / Babbacombe every year when I was a teenager during the glorious summers of the mid / late 70,s.

There were a group of us on holiday together,  and me and my Dad and a couple of his mates (RIP) used to go to a pre season friendly if one was on , and then go into the social club in the ground after.

They were a really nice group and made us feel very welcome , hence my soft spot for them.

• Like 1