Weird soft spots for clubs you have no connection with...

I was thinking earlier about the direction of football and how all these 'fans of the future' manage to glom onto random football clubs on the other side of the world that they have absolutely nothing to do with, like Man City or Barcelona.  They have often never been to any of these places, and know nothing about the town/city or the history of the club etc.  But they still randomly seem to be able to pick them somehow and suddenly become 'super fans' who will happily plan their 'vacation of a lifetime' to go to Anfield or wherever and drop the price of a season ticket in one evening  on half-and-half scarves and full pro kits and stuff.

It didn't really make a lot of sense.  But then I realised that 'traditional' football fans sort of do it too.  For example, I have lived in Edinburgh for 20 years.  My wife is a Hearts fan; you would expect if I had a Scottish team, it would be them 

But no; instead I randomly developed a soft spot for Kilmarnock.  Based entirely on the fact that they play in blue and white, and originally started off as a cricket team.  I have never been to f***ing Kilmarnock in my life; I have definitely picked up a bit of my wife's Edinburgh disdain for literally everywhere west of around Bathgate.  I know they make a nice steak pie and that's where Johnnie Walker came from... but that's about it...

So - what random football club have you picked up an entirely illogical fondness for, and why?  I'm sure there must be some good stories out there....?

• Like 1

Started following Hibs as my Scottish team after buying a Proclaimers album when I was a kid.

Atalanta. Started looking out for their results back in the early ‘90s. Can’t remember why. Maybe I liked their name or their kit or something.

My best mate is a Wigan fan so with him I have seen them rise all the way to the Premier League and fall away again, was at Wembley when they won the cup and I always look out for their results. Its funny when we beat them though 😃

• Like 1

I have a good mate who is a lifelong, proper City supporter/season ticket holder...so I don't mind City that much when it comes to the top clubs. Wouldn't say I have a soft spot for them, but I would prefer City to win the title over say a Liverpool, Chelsea etc. 

I've always quite liked Southampton for some reason or another. Just think they are quite a nice club who go about things in the right way and usually have some good footballers worth watching.

Everton are ok (too young for 1966), though I think that might be more to do with the fact that I'm not overly fussed about their neighbors across Stanley Park. 

• Like 3

With my dad living in Wales I have watched a lot of Wrexham over the years, I was at the Arsenal FA cup match. He doesn't go to Wrexham anymore so I often tag along with him to watch Cefn Druids (Oldest football club in Wales by the way, who have played up at Sheffield FC in mini tournament a few years back), but I still take a interest in Wrexham. They are woeful though and haven't won a game this year.

When I was a kid and I used to pore over the tables and results in the Green 'Un and the Sunday papers, for some reason I always used to look out for Albion Rovers, no idea why, I think it was because they were really crap and always seemed to be near the bottom of the Scottish league.

• Like 1

I wouldn't class it as a soft spot, but I love that Man City have been in the gutter (albeit for a short period) and are now mixing it with the elite. Obviously the financial backing of a sheik has earned them a place at the table, but I know a lot of City fans that watched them in League 1 and are now traveling Europe watching them in the Champions League. It must be surreal and I'd probably combust if that ever happened to us.

I appreciate the North East teams (Newcastle, Sunderland and Boro') for their support, always been a classy bunch when we've played any of them and their away followings are brilliant considering where they are located. 

I could never have a soft spot of any kind for a bigger club than Wednesday. There's just ones I dislike less than others. Looking at the list of current Premier League teams I couldn't even pick out a favourite. I definitely hate Liverpool the most out of the big clubs, but I love it when Manchester United lose to someone rubbish, its fantastic. I have no opinion either way on Chelsea and an old hatred of Arsenal has developed into a bit of pity in recent years. 

As for soft spots it's just clubs who mates support so currently that'd be Wycombe and Burton Albion. The exception to this is my Forest supporting mate, he's a really nice lad and has a soft spot for Wednesday and a big hatred for the pigs. But I can't say I enjoy his 'COYR!' messages I often receive on Saturday afternoons. 

Also lived in Leyton for a while so keep any eye on Orient.