Mike Ashley pulls out of Derby takeover .. looking elsewhere

3 hours ago, WendyOK said:

Yeah would hate premier league mid table. Give me 7th in league one and an owner who can’t run a bath any day 😍

Not sure Ashley = PL mid table?

4 hours ago, Asio otus said:

No way, absolutely no f....ing way.

This. I’ve got a few mates who are Newcastle fans and his tenure there makes very grim listening.

Stories of him (personally) owning  the rights to the merchandise, the Newcastle shirt being the most expensive in the Prem. him controlling the manufacturers,  sales outlets, club shop etc and him personally pocketing £52 out of each £60 shirt sold. I’m led to believe he did/is doing the same at Rangers.

It’s a massive NO from me. Definitely a case of be careful what you wish for.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TheEnchanter said:

People miss a key point when considering Mike Ashley. 

Under Ashley Newcastle were consistently below their natural average as a club. He kept them on average a lower half Prem team that yo-yo'd. 

If Ashley was also here with us and therefore kept us below our natural average as a club. We'd be a bottom half Championship team that occasionally yo-yo's to league 1. Looks to me like that's where we are now and have been for 22 years. 

Going to have to disagree with this 

Ashley took over Newcastle in 2007 when the premier league was going insane with investors if you look at the clubs got taken over around the time that Ashley did to when he sold and looked at the crazy money flying around then I don’t think you can say he did keep them below the average 

the big boys go spend silly money that’s why they are at the top it’s not like when the premier league first started the game and finances have evolved since those days ( I hate the finances ) it’s about the loans abs how much your going to finance and put the club in debt these days not how big your stadium is or your fam base 

if that’s how football has gone then Ashley has been first class for Newcastle despite what their idiotic fans might think because he has sold them to owners who can compete on this elite level something not many trans can do 

what I would say is football can’t continue and if you look at the debts those big teams now have it could all gone crashing down horribly 

• Love 1

Whoever buys a third-tier Wednesday would be buying a load of debt for a starter followed by fixing a lack of investment in the team and facilities.

I suspect that someone like Ashley wouldn't come anywhere us at the moment for those reasons alone.

As my grandad would have said "Tha' dun't get rich baa gee-in it away"

17 minutes ago, Brookhouse1867 said:

This. I’ve got a few mates who are Newcastle fans and his tenure there makes very grim listening.

Stories of him (personally) owning  the rights to the merchandise, the Newcastle shirt being the most expensive in the Prem. him controlling the manufacturers,  sales outlets, club shop etc and him personally pocketing £52 out of each £60 shirt sold. I’m led to believe he did/is doing the same at Rangers.

Absolutely, people are really deluded if they think our problem would be resolved by Ashley.

Makes you wonder what DC would actually take money wise. He'd certainly want more than the initial investment but would surely know he won't be getting every Baht back he's put into the club. I reckon £50m would do it. Could be doable. As for Ashley? I just wouldn't know and quite a lot of shady sorts lingering every time business like this is to be done.

As for me, I'd rather stick with what we have now. I think we've bottomed out and are on the rise again.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Musn't Grumble said:

Whoever buys a third-tier Wednesday would be buying a load of debt for a starter followed by fixing a lack of investment in the team and facilities.

I suspect that someone like Ashley wouldn't come anywhere us at the moment for those reasons alone.

As my grandad would have said "Tha' dun't get rich baa gee-in it away"

Debt ? To who 

2 hours ago, TheEnchanter said:

People miss a key point when considering Mike Ashley. 

Under Ashley Newcastle were consistently below their natural average as a club. He kept them on average a lower half Prem team that yo-yo'd. 

If Ashley was also here with us and therefore kept us below our natural average as a club. We'd be a bottom half Championship team that occasionally yo-yo's to league 1. Looks to me like that's where we are now and have been for 22 years. 

You miss a key point yourself. Taking a team from mid table to top 6 in the Premier league takes a huge amount of investment for not a huge amount of financial benefit. 

Taking an under achieving team from league 1 to lower end Premier league takes a relatively smaller amount if done sensibly. However the financial benefits are huge.

In addition, he left them debt free which I'm confident wasn't the case when he bought them.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Brookhouse1867 said:

Yes, but apart from that.... 

18 minutes ago, Rogers said:

He threatens to walk, Derby lower the price by $5m, he buys. 

Derby have a great fanbase and have pretty much consistently good attendances, a newish low maintenance stadium. It’s a good buy. 

You don’t understand the situation if you think that’s the case.

Any money he parts with will be going to creditors, some of which are preferential creditors who must be paid in full, he would be buying Derby for £1 but he’ll have to satisfy the creditors first.