Mike Ashley pulls out of Derby takeover .. looking elsewhere

16 hours ago, Burnsie said:

Reminder standing the reason that people were paid under the minimum wage was because of searches leaving the building. I think this a mass to about 15-minutes a day which was paid back.... Eventually 

As for 0 hour contracts I'm sure they are legal otherwise we wouldn't be able to do them. Am guessing most retail establishments use them?? 

They are legal, just a really shitty way to be able to ******** your work force around at will.

"Oh you dont want to come in tomorrow at 6am when I rang you at 10pm to ask you to, well fizz you if you think you are getting any hours next week".

It puts all the power in the hands of the management and none in the hands of the worker, basically making you either accept the whims of the corporate overlords or go down the dole office and wait out your sanction for leaving your job.

0 Hour contracts are disgusting, immoral and I absolutely refuse to support any company that uses these as a method of keeping their profit margins.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, leftpeg said:

They are legal, just a really shitty way to be able to ******** your work force around at will.

"Oh you dont want to come in tomorrow at 6am when I rang you at 10pm to ask you to, well fizz you if you think you are getting any hours next week".

It puts all the power in the hands of the management and none in the hands of the worker, basically making you either accept the whims of the corporate overlords or go down the dole office and wait out your sanction for leaving your job.

0 Hour contracts are disgusting, immoral and I absolutely refuse to support any company that uses these as a method of keeping their profit margins.

0 hour contracts actually suit a lot of people, many on them choose them as they need to be able to work certain days/hours.

It's usually employment agencies that are the problem, they're the ones phoning last minute and dropping shifts as they get fined if they don't supply enough bodies, so a lot tell more people to come in just in case.

Brexit has worked wonders for these workers as there just isn't the supply to do this anymore, warehouses are paying over the odds and offering full time to everyone they can.

No more "If you don't come in today, I have a bus full sat outside"

The new one is 33 hour weeks, less holiday pay, classed as full time but still need to work a day's overtime to live.

On 08/02/2022 at 10:17, Tewkesbury said:

0 hour contracts actually suit a lot of people, many on them choose them as they need to be able to work certain days/hours.

It's usually employment agencies that are the problem, they're the ones phoning last minute and dropping shifts as they get fined if they don't supply enough bodies, so a lot tell more people to come in just in case.

Brexit has worked wonders for these workers as there just isn't the supply to do this anymore, warehouses are paying over the odds and offering full time to everyone they can.

No more "If you don't come in today, I have a bus full sat outside"

The new one is 33 hour weeks, less holiday pay, classed as full time but still need to work a day's overtime to live.

Im not gonna spin this into a Brexit debate, but the shortage of workers is less to do with that than you would think mate as it is happening everywhere, its just more pronounced in logistical sectors due to being an Island.

But the vast majority of 0 hour contracts the "convenience" you talk about is very much one directional in my experience.

My current job on a RFT contract with flexi hours and flexible scheduling is how you do it if you want to make sure of work life balance.  If I want to work certain hours or days, I can talk with my manager or HR and they will accommodate where ever possible without me having to worry about not getting paid a full wage next time I get paid.

Edited by leftpeg

15 minutes ago, leftpeg said:

Im not gonna spin this into a Brexit debate, but the shortage of workers is less to do with that than you would think mate as it is happening everywhere, its just more pronounced in logistical sectors due to being an Island.

But the vast majority of 0 hour contracts the "convenience" you talk about is very much one directional in my experience.

My current job on a RFT contract with flexi hours and flexible scheduling is how you do it if you want to make sure of work life balance.  If I want to work certain hours or days, I can talk with my manager or HR and they will accommodate where ever possible without me having to worry about not getting paid a full wage next time I get paid.

Everywhere or not, I was in a number of strategic meetings in more than one manufacturing/logistics company over the last few years, addressing this.

Pretty much immediately after the vote, conditions (treatment of staff, perks, minimum shifts etc.) improved across the board, as the staff shortages were expected.

Pay is now catching up.

The care sector is having a massive crisis as people can now go and get more money doing pretty much anything.

The ones that did improve pay and conditions are now fine, the others struggling as the power is now with the staff.

Most zero hours I see now are agency jobs, at places where direct full time work is available, so I'd expect it to be mostly by choice.