Mike Ashley pulls out of Derby takeover .. looking elsewhere

16 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

Don't tell me you wouldn't go just for a massive Wednesday mug for a pound.

We've got lots of Wednesday mugs

I think we were a short term project possibly a vanity project for DC and it nearly worked for him. He was badly advised at the start and it cost him money he didn't need to spend and it's now got to the stage he's spending money he must realise he's never going to recoup. If we get to the EPL he's going to have to spend big again arguably very big. Poundland has found that out. If it goes wrong for him time will tell.

As Dickens wrote

Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six , result happiness.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery

Edited by darra
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WBridgfordowl said:

Not a chance he’d buy us. 

I’m not sure why, but he doesn’t really see us as a big club, with potential to build value. If you look at the businesses he buys, they’re usually on the edge of, or already in administration and he can then bolt them onto what is essentially his logistics business. 

Newcastle just needed cash to avoid admin when he bought it and he saw huge potential. I’d be surprised if he bought another football club. I guess the press will always band his name about

The prospect of 25000 regularly at home but be worth more to him than Championship clubs with 10-12000.  M<aybe he's learned something from his Newcastle experience.  And yes, I could become bored with mid-table PL.  Bring on the boredom

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, catdog1121 said:

I think aahley would go for a one team city.  When you look at Newcastle and Derby and Sunderland the reason they are so big is cause its a one team city, there is more potential there..

Just imagine the potential if Sheffield only had one club

I’ve never heard Derby classed as “so big”

• Like 1

People want a hero to take over, sometime who connects with the fans and shows a real caring side for the historic club he's just bought.

But in reality, unless it's someone who grew up round Sheffield, it's unlikely to ever happen. So the best we can all hope for is a ridiculously successful and very lucky businessman, who can afford to buy the club and ground outright, appoint the right people in the right positions to get the players in, make money so we don't fall foul of ffp, and is lucky enough for everything to fall into place at the first time of asking.

Not a lot to ask is it? 😳😳😳

And as much as I don't like what I've read about Ashley, he seems to be a half decent businessman. If he thinks he can afford the asking price and make a profit at the end of it then there's a chance he might look into Wednesday as his next project. It's a big if though. 

• Like 1

Unlike the majority on here I have met the guy a number of times and who on a personal level is friendly and down to earth. 
I also operated at a high level within his organisation at the head office for four long years. 
I can’t stand Chansiri but would keep him over Ashley any day of the week. 
Frying pan/fire…..

• Love 1

58 minutes ago, catdog1121 said:

I think aahley would go for a one team city.  When you look at Newcastle and Derby and Sunderland the reason they are so big is cause its a one team city, there is more potential there..

Just imagine the potential if Sheffield only had one club

Sheffield has 2 teams,Wednesday and Wednesday reserves.

Yeah I know its an old un but I still like it.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, upperwinngardensowl said:

Unlike the majority on here I have met the guy a number of times and who on a personal level is friendly and down to earth. 
I also operated at a high level within his organisation at the head office for four long years. 
I can’t stand Chansiri but would keep him over Ashley any day of the week. 
Frying pan/fire…..

We're probably better off with neither of them and someone sensible and forward thinking 

• Like 2

Owlstalk Shop

Before mandaric took over we had a range of people step forward and fail to buy the club 

we had a few people in board room with good intentions but maybe not so much the money to get us out of the mess 

madaric was exactly what we needed 

and experienced chairman who made us more appealing for investors whilst pointing us in the right way 

chansiri came across with all his wealth but a complete naivety to running football clubs and still shows that today so for all his wealth he now sees us a division lower with embargo’s 

Like him or loath Mike Ashley will get us going in the right direction he’s got the wealth and the experience to get us moving forward will he over spend? Hell no, he will probably sell us on for a fortune. But he will know how to sell us on as a fortune and let’s be right 

we’ve had 7 years of chansiri and where’s that got us?

id take 7 years of Ashley in a heartbeat if he sells us on to be the wealthiest team in world 

Mike Ashley is well connected in business and in football maybe he’d come in with those brothers since they was on the board at rangers together 

he’s a much more experienced owner and operator than he was when he first took over Newcastle 

Do I like Ashley no? Do I think he’d be ideal for Wednesday now yes 

do I think he will be interested not in a million years 

I don’t know what some fans want but a an experienced English wealthy investor will do for me 

• Like 6

People miss a key point when considering Mike Ashley. 

Under Ashley Newcastle were consistently below their natural average as a club. He kept them on average a lower half Prem team that yo-yo'd. 

If Ashley was also here with us and therefore kept us below our natural average as a club. We'd be a bottom half Championship team that occasionally yo-yo's to league 1. Looks to me like that's where we are now and have been for 22 years.