How happy are you with this season?

I expected very little before the transfer window opened. I was then pleasantly surprised by our signings. This probably gave me an expectation of top six. We’re not quite on track but not far off. My level of ‘happiness’ reflects this. I’m a bit happier now we aren’t playing quite as badly. But I still we play a pretty stodgy brand of football in the main. 
I am hopeful that we will continue to improve a bit over the season. I still think we will make the playoffs, but probably by the skin of our teeth.

I’d give the season 6 out of 10 so far. Hoping it will be an 8 out of 10 by the end. 

• Like 8

Guest DoesJackHunt
3 minutes ago, Asio otus said:

We are still in existence , which was a major concern last season.

Given the damage of moral throughout the whole club, turning things round was never going to happen overnight.

Yeah , this sounds about where i am at as well. I was optimistic with the signings at the beginning of the season and our early form. 

Reality has bitten hard since though and given the mess we were in coming down and the large turn over of players, realistically it was probably going to take a season or two to get back up. 

I do think we are now improving week on week and if that continues i think we could make the playoffs and fingers crossed go up. 

On balance, I would personally give the season a solid 5/10 - hoped for better but could've been worse I guess. 

18 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

What do you think?

Has this season so far given us a fighting chance to succeed by the end of it?

Have all the new players gelled do you think?

Will we get into that top 6 by the end of the season?

It's a "no" to all three from me.

Where a team is in the league is obviously the result of both the players and the manager.

In our case it's the players which are responsible for our being where we are in a reasonable position.

Moore isn't making much of a positive contribution, and when he's played it out from the back it's been positively detrimental.

That won't be enough to get us over the line, I fear.

He's lucky to be in charge of this squad.

How would he do with Gillingham's outfit, say?

The Gills wouldn't have a chance of survival in this under him.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Initially I was worried for us as a club at the end of last season and honestly expected L2 football next season.

When DM made the closed season signings, I then became optimistic and thought promotion back to the championship was actually a reality.

BUT

Given what I've seen in the first third of the season, I now feel mid table is probably where we'll end up.

I honestly don't expect results, tactics etc. to change under DM but one can only hope.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Distinctly underwhelmed by the general level of performance (particularly in attack), and a majority of our results thus far.

Even so, I'm relatively ok with our current league position and prospects for improving it as we move towards the Jan/Feb cutoff for serious top 6 contenders.

However, excess patience is only really being extended due to the fairly huge mitigating factor of having had more or less an entirely new squad assembled under Moore fewer than four months ago.

As we approach Christmas and remain wildly unpredictable results-wise, my reserves are certainly dwindling - although to me, it does look as though we've maybe turned a bit of a physchological corner in the past few weeks, and now look more keen to have a real go than we have done to date. This, more even than the actual results or league position, is what will keep me saying 'fair enough' for now.

If it turns out to be a blip, and we're back to September form in a month, I'll be deeply unsatisfied.

• Like 3

End of last season/start of pre season, I thought we’d be in a relegation scrap. 

By the end of the transfer window, I hoped we’d be challenging for automatic promotion given the calibre of players we brought in for the third division and the fact they were very bullish about our chances of finishing top 2. 

I don’t think we’ve given ourselves a fighting chance of success this season because we’ve dropped stupid points against bottom half teams. The squad is starting to gel slightly more but we’re still far from the finished article. I think we’ll be lucky to scrape the play-offs - obviously automatics are mathematically possible but we need to go on a massive winning streak to have any chance, and there are very few signs we’re capable of doing that right now

• Like 1

What I’m thinking is the same as I did a couple of months ago, and that’s under Darren Moore we will achieve nothing.

I don’t want to hear about how bad the situation was in the summer, or how many players have both gone, and come through the door.

Hull went down with a whimper two seasons ago, yet last season galvanised themselves and went up automatically, scoring plenty of goals and turning plenty of sides over without any issues.

This squad is better than its position but is being held back by a manager who’s seemingly too stubborn to alter things.

I’d lay good money, that if someone like Gareth Ainsworth came to manage us, we’d see a huge improvement in our fortunes.

• Like 6
  • Love 2

8 minutes ago, g-owls said:

What I’m thinking is the same as I did a couple of months ago, and that’s under Darren Moore we will achieve nothing.

I don’t want to hear about how bad the situation was in the summer, or how many players have both gone, and come through the door.

Hull went down with a whimper two seasons ago, yet last season galvanised themselves and went up automatically, scoring plenty of goals and turning plenty of sides over without any issues.

This squad is better than its position but is being held back by a manager who’s seemingly too stubborn to alter things.

I’d lay good money, that if someone like Gareth Ainsworth came to manage us, we’d see a huge improvement in our fortunes.

Yep - I think our players are capable of a top 2 finish but I don’t think the coaching staff are. Hopefully they prove us wrong (Moore and the coaching staff that is, not the players)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Frustrated. Lost 1 in 14, sounds good, but frustrated that we should have won at least 3 more than we have if not for silly mistakes. Jury still out for me with DM. Some things he does baffles me (mind you our lass says that’s not difficult), but I am warming to some of his ideas such as Johnson at Left CH. If we could just go on a little run, say win 4 out of 5 and get the old girl rocking we’d be in with a chance.

I'd give the season a C so far.

I didn't think we'd challenge for automatic promotion after all the upheaval of recent years and having to try to rebuild the squad using freebies and loans. I felt if we could stay in touch with the top six until Windass returns, we'd be doing okay.

Given the injuries to Luongo, Iorfa, Hutchinson and Byers, it's even more a case of damage limitation during this period, really.

Having said that, performances have been uninspiring at times and we've shot ourselves in the foot far too many times already, with our usual mental fragility rearing its head again. For me, that's been the most disappointing aspect so far.

It's been uninspiring but far from disastrous.

• Like 3

Guest Jack the Hat

Surprised at the responses so far. Most people seem happy. Fair enough, but I think we are underachieving with this squad and , as Moore is going nowhere, will be a long season. Should be top 2 or 3 and ready to pounce with key players back from injury. But instead we are constantly setting up wrong and making ourselves easy to play against resulting in being an easy team to defend against and grab a draw. Particularly at Hillsborough.