How happy are you with this season?

4 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I think some are overrating our squad a tad.

We have some decent players, but not a great deal of strength in depth in certain areas.

With Iorfa, Gibson and Hutchinson injured, we're down to Dunkley as a recognised centre-back and have had to use Palmer and Johnson as stand-ins; Luongo is our standout combative midfielder and we have no real replacement when he's out; and despite recruiting a lot of wingers, we seem short of genuine quality out wide, with Corbeanu being the only one beginning to show some form.

More importantly than that, we're lacking players with that never-say-die attitude which characterises the best teams.

As Laws said in a recent commentary: you can't teach bravery. 

Crap,scattergun signings,all past it,or on their way..gone from signing nobody to everybody..senseless..

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Barnsleyowl1996 said:

Really depends on your outlook and expectations really. Personally 8th isn’t good enough in my book and performances have on the whole been disappointing . That being said injuries haven’t helped especially to key players such as hutch , iorfa , luongo and Windass .id rate the season as 5/10

So are you saying you would be unhappy with 8th at the end of the season or 8th now, with a totally new team? 

10 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

What do you think?

Has this season so far given us a fighting chance to succeed by the end of it?

Have all the new players gelled do you think?

Will we get into that top 6 by the end of the season?

About where I expected to be

If success is still having a club to support and being able to pay the players … so far so good. 

Not yet but the benefits of a settled system have been seen over the last 3 games in terms of performance. 

Will be a step too far this season. 

34 minutes ago, brando said:

Crap,scattergun signings,all past it,or on their way..gone from signing nobody to everybody..senseless..

We needed to sign a large number of players after the mass exodus in the summer, and doing so whilst only able to sign freebies and loans due to the transfer embargo was always going to see us up against it.

Given the context, I think we signed some decent players, but left ourselves short in one or two areas. Moore is on record as saying he wanted another left sided centre back, for example, but we weren't able to bring one in. I wouldn't be surprised if we were after another defensive midfielder, too.

9 hours ago, g-owls said:

What I’m thinking is the same as I did a couple of months ago, and that’s under Darren Moore we will achieve nothing.

I don’t want to hear about how bad the situation was in the summer, or how many players have both gone, and come through the door.

Hull went down with a whimper two seasons ago, yet last season galvanised themselves and went up automatically, scoring plenty of goals and turning plenty of sides over without any issues.

This squad is better than its position but is being held back by a manager who’s seemingly too stubborn to alter things.

I’d lay good money, that if someone like Gareth Ainsworth came to manage us, we’d see a huge improvement in our fortunes.

In Ainsworth’s first full season in charge Wycombe finished outside of the relegation zone on goal difference. In his second season they finished 4th and lost in the playoff finals. In his third season they finished 13th and in his 4th they finished 9th….. 

Could you imagine how the baying mob on here would react to that ? 
The man that you would bet money on to hugely improve our fortunes needed time, patience and support 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

So are you saying you would be unhappy with 8th at the end of the season or 8th now, with a totally new team? 

I would have said 10/10 for first or second, 9 for 3rd or 4th, 8 for 5th or 6th.ason. 

So right now 7/10 for me, but expecting anything from 8 to 10 by the end of the season.

I really cannot see us getting worse from now to May, the team is gelling nicely and we have 6 or 7 good players to come back from injury, maybe a couple coming in January, five or six players yet to peak and maybe a player or two going. Whatever happens I still think we are on course for 4th spot, give or take a position or two.

Many of the teams around us will struggle over Christmas and in the winter games afterwards, but I think our squad is strong enough to get to the end of the season without suffering as many dropped points. I think that Darren Moore has done most of the hard work now and the people criticising him will be eating humble pie (again, a la Carlos's 2nd season, but more so). I reckon that by the end of the season the majority of fans will be praising DM for succeeded when they doubted him. The main thing that holds us back as a club is unrealistic expectations, just because we have had good teams in the increasingly distant past. Smaller clubs than ours, with much smaller fan bases are getting totally behind ther clubs and lifting them, while our boo boys and mardy arsed pessimists hold us back. The anxiety and tension on Saturday was pathetic and affected a few of the players, especially Corbeanu who looked too keen at times to cut in, shoot, or cross the ball, instead of taking his time and delivering the perfect ball, which he is capable of doing and more likely to do when some sections of the crowd are cheering the team on instead of losing their cool and acting like stupid pillocks. We did not start the season with a ten point bonus but more likely to drop ten points on the leaders, similar to Ipswich who I also predicted would finish in the top 8.

Come on Wednesday, keep improving and the title could still be on the cards.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Dutch McLovin said:

We have a better squad than we had last year in the league above.

If this is persistently repeated until the very last individual has come to grasp the idea it still won’t make it true. 
We have a squad made of crocks, loans, rejects and freebies.

Westwood would not have made as many errors as BPF. Lees, Borner & Urhoghide would be first choice in the current formation. Odabajo is better than Hunt. Shaw would have offered more than Adeniran. There’s even a case that Reach, Brown & Joey would have contributed more than Shodipo, Wing and Byers. 

2 hours ago, brando said:

We have been awful,

Set up incorrectly,

Square pegs in round holes,

Tactically awful,

Better last couple of games,but nowhere near good enough..

We should be where Rotherham are,crushing teams easily..yes we beat em but anyone who was there will tell you how lucky we were..sorry but..

MOORE OUT..unbeaten in so many but draws regular are no good...

Average not awful

Almost certainly

Cliché

Cliché

Fair

Arrogant

Pitchfork

• Haha 3

To be honest I think top 8 is reasonable and about where I expected, though we all hoped for more. What is more disappointing is the lack of entertainment in watching games and the fairly apathetic Hillsborough crowd for large chunks of matches. Happy with the season? On balance probably not but  hopeful things can get better both in terms of league position and our football. Top 6 is definitely there for the taking.

• Like 1

How many of the 8 draws should we have won and will we win more of the return games now the team is gelling and the players realise the effort and quality levels required in this dvision? I would have a bet that our defence has been more varied than most and our attack has been finding it's feet. If we improve just a little at both ends of the pitch we should get more points against the teams we have drawn, or lost against. We kept quite a few clean sheets early doors and the goals are starting to come. A little bit more luck, or calmness in the last third and we would have had at least one more goal against most teams we have played this season and I think that will get stronger for us as the season goes on.

UTO!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

If this is persistently repeated until the very last individual has come to grasp the idea it still won’t make it true. 
We have a squad made of crocks, loans, rejects and freebies.

Westwood would not have made as many errors as BPF. Lees, Borner & Urhoghide would be first choice in the current formation. Odabajo is better than Hunt. Shaw would have offered more than Adeniran. There’s even a case that Reach, Brown & Joey would have contributed more than Shodipo, Wing and Byers. 

Seriously ?!? 

18 hours ago, briggowl said:

To be honest I think top 8 is reasonable and about where I expected, though we all hoped for more. What is more disappointing is the lack of entertainment in watching games and the fairly apathetic Hillsborough crowd for large chunks of matches. Happy with the season? On balance probably not but  hopeful things can get better both in terms of league position and our football. Top 6 is definitely there for the taking.

That's sort of where I'm at...kinda.

I didn't expect us to sweep all aside, but I was hopeful at a push for the top 6. We are very much doing that right now, but I'm just massively underwhelmed by the performances, players and the manager.

We seem to be almost on cruise control this season, just about doing enough in most games to get something, but with little willingness to really push for victories. It is all a bit bizarre and at the same time very underwhelming. 

The top 6 is very much there for the taking and if we string 4, 5 wins together we are right in the mix, but I don't see us doing that under this manager.

I suspect we will see lots more draws, occasional decent wins and some very poor defeats.

Basically, this season has been f*cking boring so far.

• Like 1

We're where I thought we'd be league wise, but behind in development. 

We have a big squad who are all at about the same level, I was hoping that they'd all have had some decent game time ready for the winter, when injuries and fatigue will hurt the smaller teams allowing our squad to rotate and push up the league by having a massive fitness advantage as most of our players are interchangeable. 

However, the constant use of some players and changing of roles has created an imbalance where this is no longer possible as we have a lot of players now who need to find a bit of form but haven't had enough minutes to get into things.

Happy with progress. Of course, had the 2/3/4 draws been wins, I would have been a lot happier. Steady progression as time has passed with Luongo and Windass coming back into the team and a couple of January signings, should see us in the playoffs no problem. I personally still believe we can push for top two, but let’s see where we are mid Jan.

17 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

We're where I thought we'd be league wise, but behind in development. 

We have a big squad who are all at about the same level, I was hoping that they'd all have had some decent game time ready for the winter, when injuries and fatigue will hurt the smaller teams allowing our squad to rotate and push up the league by having a massive fitness advantage as most of our players are interchangeable. 

However, the constant use of some players and changing of roles has created an imbalance where this is no longer possible as we have a lot of players now who need to find a bit of form but haven't had enough minutes to get into things.

I echo that the lack of match time has prevented many players from getting some consistency to their game. The regular changes in playing formation also hasn’t helped matters.

I hope getting some of the key players (or those that we seem to be key) back for selection will come good too. 

58 minutes ago, SiJ said:

We seem to be almost on cruise control this season, just about doing enough in most games to get something, but with little willingness to really push for victories. It is all a bit bizarre and at the same time very underwhelming. 

I'm generally a bit happier than you are, but one thing I would definitely like to see instilled into the team is what you might call a "winning mentality". Obviously they're capable of winning games on ability alone, and they probably know that and approach games accordingly. But there's something missing, over and above. Call it a collective determination, whether to come back from conceding a goal, to kill a game off when we're in the ascendancy or to hang onto a lead in the last few minutes of a game. Maybe it's something that the sports psychologist can work on, maybe we need more leaders on the pitch. But sometimes I think as a team we lack that grim, steely eyed determination to finish the job off.

13 minutes ago, OwlsPilgrim said:

I echo that the lack of match time has prevented many players from getting some consistency to their game. The regular changes in playing formation also hasn’t helped matters.

I hope getting some of the key players (or those that we seem to be key) back for selection will come good too. 

It seems like everyone is banking on Windass and Luongo to come back fit and in form. Both have been out for months, what if it takes till Christmas for them to get going?

Luongo, whilst decent, still made a few errors and looked a bit lost at times v Harrogate, he's still a ways off from his best.