Were the wingers a waste of money?

How much of our new player budget is being spent on the vast array of wingers we acquired?

How many are getting into the side - 1

….and he’s a full-back.

When Windass is fit he’ll obviously take one of the two wide slots, meaning that pretty much all the Summer’s spend (wages) is on the bench or in the stands.

I never understood throwing so much at moderate to poor wingers. It would have been much better to spend the same amount of money but on only two much higher quality wingers.

Quality not wasted quantity. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It's a fair point. I think Moore wanted to go 433, hence recruiting wide attacking options. Today was the most attacking I've seen for a while, and 352 looked to suit us.

That said, we now have a problem in that we have surplus wingers and not enough wing backs. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

How much of our new player budget is being spent on the vast array of wingers we acquired?

….and he’s a full-back.

When Windass is fit he’ll obviously take one of the two wide slots, meaning that pretty much all the Summer’s spend (wages) is on the bench or in the stands.

I never understood throwing so much at moderate to poor wingers. It would have been much better to spend the same amount of money but on only two much higher quality wingers.

Windass should be be up front; playing off Gregory in a 4-4-2.

You could probably have a winger/wide man in the midfield 4, but not two, as they don't have the tendencies to battle in midfield; which is the area/position we tend to fall short on.

We should have invested into a quality central midfield player; someone to support BB.

It's been the same for 5 years.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

….and he’s a full-back.

To be fair Shodipo proved last season that he has more than enough to do well at this level, Johnson has had a lot of time above this level too.

Sow and Corbeanu are much less proven but shouldn't be such a big outlay for squad players.

But yes, it is all pointless money spent if the manager is not going to play any of them in their best positions with any regularity. 

19 minutes ago, striker said:

It's a fair point. I think Moore wanted to go 433, hence recruiting wide attacking options. Today was the most attacking I've seen for a while, and 352 looked to suit us.

That said, we now have a problem in that we have surplus wingers and not enough wing backs. 

Hunt and Johnson could probably operate well regularly at this level as wing-backs. Brown was poor today. 3-5-2 should work much better than 3-4-3 that he tried last weekend, provided we have some energy in midfield supporting Bannan/Wing/Byers if available. Adeniran or FDB have to play if we continue with this.

It does then make the likes of Shodipo, Corbeanu and Sow fairly redundant. 

8 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Hunt and Johnson could probably operate well regularly at this level as wing-backs. Brown was poor today. 3-5-2 should work much better than 3-4-3 that he tried last weekend, provided we have some energy in midfield supporting Bannan/Wing/Byers if available. Adeniran or FDB have to play if we continue with this.

It does then make the likes of Shodipo, Corbeanu and Sow fairly redundant. 

Agree, we've got some attacking options which don't naturally  fit into a  352.

Goal aside, Brown wasn't that bad up until that point. Hunt looked good, but for a young and relatively inexperienced player Brown was ok. 

3 minutes ago, striker said:

Agree, we've got some attacking options which don't naturally  fit into a  352.

Goal aside, Brown wasn't that bad up until that point. Hunt looked good, but for a young and relatively inexperienced player Brown was ok. 

You are in a fairly small number who felt that was the case today. I think he has done OK this season but he was poor today. I don't think changing his position from one game to the next is helping him, he needs to define a role and develop it, not play wing one week, full-back the next, wing-back another. he is not experienced or good enough to have that adaptability right now.

40 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

I think Corbeanu and Shodipo will be gone in January, if their clubs have a recall clause in the loan deal.

I agree he deserves a chance but it doesn't look like he's going to get one here.

I agree. When will he be given time if not when we're beating Dons 2-0 and on top?

Moore's subs like his team selection leave a great deal to be desired.

• Like 2