Were the wingers a waste of money?

3 hours ago, Animis said:

Windass should be be up front; playing off Gregory in a 4-4-2.

You could probably have a winger/wide man in the midfield 4, but not two, as they don't have the tendencies to battle in midfield; which is the area/position we tend to fall short on.

We should have invested into a quality central midfield player; someone to support BB.

It's been the same for 5 years.

Windass will be like a new signing and a great one at this level. 

4 hours ago, Animis said:

Windass should be be up front; playing off Gregory in a 4-4-2.

You could probably have a winger/wide man in the midfield 4, but not two, as they don't have the tendencies to battle in midfield; which is the area/position we tend to fall short on.

We should have invested into a quality central midfield player; someone to support BB.

It's been the same for 5 years.

I’d play 442 and Barry Bannan would never play centeral in a 2. Wide left for me.

But your bang on with Windass plays up top with Gregory unless we actually give Corbeanau a run 

I wouldn't worry too much if players who can't get in the team get recalled. We don't owe them a place in the team. In terms of the wingers:

Corbeanu - Like to see him get more game time, but need a 4-3-3 or for him to play up front in a 3-5-2 I think

Shodipo - One good game and not a lot else, but did have an injury. Could come good.

Sow - Looked good against Newcastle juniors but nothing since, unconvincing

Johnson - Think at his age, more of a LB/LWB. Think we'll see a lot more of him. Not as bad as many think.

Brown - I'm not convinced, but a youngster on low wages, worth a punt

Yesterday.

4 wingers on the bench. 

Shodipo

Sow

Corbeanu

Johnson

We started with full-back Brown wide left, and midfielder Fizz wide right.

At best, Brown was having an off-day, but wasn’t replaced. Then he was clearly injured, but again wasn’t replaced by our army of wingers.

Plus, when DM replaced Fizz, rather than put a winger on he chose a striker, Berahino.

Ive no problem with a manager playing narrow, but not after spending our budget on wingers.

I think Darren Moore had a system that he wanted us to play, with a central striker and 2 wide players with defenders playing out from the back. The recruitment was made with this system in mind.

This system clearly wasn't working and over the last couple of games he is trying other options, yesterday there was very little pointless passing around at the back and he went with what looks like our best attacking option with Paterson and Gregory up top together.

For me it was a step in the right direction, it's a shame it has taken a quarter of the season to realise this.

To answer your question yeah I think the recruitment hasn't worked so far but I think it is too early to see if the change in system has made a long term improvement.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Dukeries Owl said:

Spent what money?, courtesy of the EFL we couldn't remember. It's a rag tag bunch of players that nobody else wanted on loans and frees and it shows.

Not true.

We are spending every week paying wages to wingers that Moore either thinks aren’t good enough or he’s changed his plans.

That money could be paying the wages of two excellent wingers, not 5 or 6 poorer wingers.

Edited by Holmowl
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Not true.

We are spending every week paying wages to wingers that Moore either thinks aren’t good enough or he’s changed his plans.

That money could be paying the wages of two excellent wingers, not 5 or 6 poorer wingers.

But are there any 'excellent' wingers who would come to us in League 1? Who might we get who was likely to be better than the ones we signed?

Was it Malek who said that Corbeanu was one of the most outstanding players in the U23 leagues?

Didn't an owlstalker based abroad say that he was surprised we were able to attract someone as good as Sow (having watched him)

Didn't Shodipo score 12 goals for Oxford last season?

Didn't Johnson play over 40 games in the Championship last season?

Surely it's not unreasonable to hope that one of those would come good for us.

But so far they've had mostly bit parts and still fluffed their lines.

• Like 1

It's been a gradual progression from the start of the season to now.

We signed them to play a certain way. It looked like it was supposed to be a 4231, with Bannan and one providing the 2, Wing the one behind and 2 wingers. We have more because we started the season changing the attackers at 60 minutes to take advantage of fitness.

It didn't work.

The DMs struggled, meaning the wingers had to hang back a bit. This meant that the pace and penetration up front had to be from the CF. 

That didn't work, so we had to put one with him, Pato, to help in the centre.

This killed the width up top, so we moved to 3 strikers with the width overlapping from the fullbacks and more slow build up to get them up there.

The DM situation is probably sorted now, with Bannan playing well the last couple of games, but now the attack is set, so the wingers are surplus to requirements.

They were brought in to play fast wide football and hit the channels. We've morphed into a slow build up, central team with the penetration coming from the midfield 3 instead of the forwards.

I can only assume none of those being left out are doing anything in training to suggest they're worth a place, which in itself is sad.

I'm struggling to think who is actually on loan, I know it was a total of six:

BPF

Shodipo

Corbeanu

Gibson

Wing?

Sow?

I can see one or two going back in January, either recalled because they're not getting game time, or returned because they're not up to standard.

7 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Yesterday.

4 wingers on the bench. 

Shodipo

Sow

Corbeanu

Johnson

We started with full-back Brown wide left, and midfielder Fizz wide right.

At best, Brown was having an off-day, but wasn’t replaced. Then he was clearly injured, but again wasn’t replaced by our army of wingers.

Plus, when DM replaced Fizz, rather than put a winger on he chose a striker, Berahino.

Ive no problem with a manager playing narrow, but not after spending our budget on wingers.

Dele is an athletic, powerful central midfielder who should in the middle, but because of the midfield having to be moulded around Bannan he was shoved out wide. 

Beggars belief 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Holmowl said:

hindsight is a lovely thing..

I glad we have so many options ..I would have signed a couple less players ..but we certainly won't be short and more can't complain about not being backed to the chairman .

just like last year we are wanting to play 433 but it doesn't work out and we have a plan b of 352..which solves some of our problems ...bannan gets a couple of strong midfielders around him...

Gregory needs someone to get closer to him ..

we have players that like playing wing back ..

glad we have a couple of systems and just want us to kick on and make a modern attacking progressive unit out of this lot.

they have the potential and I want more to be given time . not as if any manger is a silver bullet

• Like 1