Newcastle takeover.

28 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Something does seem a bit odd about it all.

Can't put my finger on it.

Mrs Staveley was an important figure in the City takeover, but you wouldn't likely know about it without reading up on that process.

At Newcastle though she has been front and centre of the bid and now she is part of the board too.

Agreed - it just doesn't seem to all add up right. 

6 minutes ago, danblakemore said:

Agreed - it just doesn't seem to all add up right. 

I'm also pretty sure that Staveley and her husband have no prior experience working in football.

Despite that, they are reportedly in charge and running things.

2 hours ago, danblakemore said:

I know this sounds a little far fetched.... but does anyone think this wont end well for those Geordie fans?

I just have this niggling feeling that the owners have a bigger plan than just taking an English football club over. Get ready for a Saudi Arabia franchise club....

I don't think it sounds far fetched at all.

Nearly all takeovers start with a sense of optimism for the new club and about 50% go sour after a while.

Newcastle under Mike Ashley being a good example.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, helmut_rooster said:

Absolute cringe at this shït on sky now so hope they get smashed today.

Viva Mike Ashley and bóllox to Newcastle 😈 🖕

I think all the fanfare around the match vs Spurs is classic Sky super Sunday hype… when in reality it’s the Newcastle team weren’t going to get any better overnight.

4 hours ago, danblakemore said:

I know this sounds a little far fetched.... but does anyone think this wont end well for those Geordie fans?

Me too actually… not sure if it’s because Newcastle are a northern club or what, but I get the feeling it’ll go more ‘Chansiri’ than it does Man City. 

The fans with the ‘towels’ on their heads felt like a strange ‘sideshow’ type stuff, like it’s not really serious, a bit (but not exactly the same as) us clapping a deceased Thai king.

The Newcastle owners have unlimited wealth and will want to recreate Man City, but City had a lot in place behind the scenes before taking over…. A master plan really, resulting in Pep and the Man City ‘campus’ etc 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Kopparberg said:

Me too actually… not sure if it’s because Newcastle are a northern club or what, but I get the feeling it’ll go more ‘Chansiri’ than it does Man City. 

The fans with the ‘towels’ on their heads felt like a strange ‘sideshow’ type stuff, like it’s not really serious, a bit (but not exactly the same as) us clapping a deceased Thai king.

The Newcastle owners have unlimited wealth and will want to recreate Man City, but City had a lot in place behind the scenes before taking over…. A master plan really, resulting in Pep and the Man City ‘campus’ etc 

Not forgetting City were very lucky. The council would only let them use the City of Manchester stadium (as it was called) on the proviso they weren't in the 3rd tier... Thank god for their win against Gillingham in the play offs that season, otherwise it would have all been a different story. 

2 hours ago, Kopparberg said:

Yes, agreed - another issue is that, if Newcastle are still in the relegation zone when the transfer window opens in January - and that seems reasonably likely at the moment - they may find it difficult to attract new players.

After all, how many ambitious and up and coming players would want to join a club that might realistically be playing in the Championship next season ?

3 hours ago, trev said:

Just me who thinks this ban on sponsorship agreed by the Premier league clubs is all a bit...ya know...salty?

It's to stop Newcastle from being competitive.

That's all it is to do with.

City abstained from the vote because their owners were advised it was illegal and, well, look at City's sponsors.

The big clubs - United, Liverpool etc., will have led the charge on this and the other clubs will have gone along with it. I'm just glad that those who tried to set up a Super League or so concerned about maintaining competition  integrity.

Edited by SiJ
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, latemodelchild said:

Just watching the highlights from yesterday. Amanda Staveley looks like a Disney film villain who gets outsmarted by a dog. 

She looks like she'd be the evil rival to Ted Lasso's female owner in the new season

On 18/10/2021 at 15:00, Kew Owl said:

Yes, agreed - another issue is that, if Newcastle are still in the relegation zone when the transfer window opens in January - and that seems reasonably likely at the moment - they may find it difficult to attract new players.

After all, how many ambitious and up and coming players would want to join a club that might realistically be playing in the Championship next season ?

It took City 4 years to sort themselves out, they were poo when they were first bought out and still ended up buying Robinho in that window.

They'll always be mercenaries who'll go for the money.

City's first few purchases were Robinho, De Jong, Bellamy and Bridge, the latter 3 solid signings.

Newcastle could easily sign solid mid table premier league players to move them up the table, players along the lines of James Ward Prowse who'll be instant upgrades on what they have already, they're not going to be going for Mbappe from the bat