Newcastle takeover.

34 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

None of that made them any more likely to be as successful as they have been than say Newcastle. 

They had not won a trophy for decades, had a smaller attendance than Newcastle have now and had spent recent time in divisions 2 and 3. 

There are no guarantees but if the Newcastle owners have a serious long-term strategy to build in a similar way that Manchester City's owners have done then there is no reason that they can't have success.

I wasn't saying Manchester City wasn't a viable option at the time, just that Newcastle is not much less of a viable option if the owners are prepared to do it properly in the long term. 

I'm sure Newcastle's owners can see at least a route to success like Leicester have enjoyed with more potential than that and they may have been a more attractive prospect to spend £300M on than say spending £2Billion on Arsenal with a more complicated ownership system. 

But if this is a consideration then it's likely bought as investment rather than a toy they want to throw cash at. If you want a toy why Newcastle? If you want to make money I can see why you would want to do that. 

What I mean to say is that all the logical arguments you make about "why Newcastle" suggest that they won't simply be bankrolled to the ridiculous lengths the Newcastle fans are bragging about. 

If I had 300 billion I would be buying somewhere I wanted to visit every other weekend potentially. Newcastle is not a nice place for that. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SiJ said:

Apparently, the somewhat frugal approach of Ashley means they've got plenty of leeway before running into any issues with FFP.

Simon Jordan reckoned they could spend about 500 million in one window at present and they'd be fine.

If they get the right manager and recruit well then they've got a shot.

Of course, they could also end up doing an Everton and not actually get any better.

Still - with the level of potential investment, you've got to think it more when rather than if theyll start challenging.

Let's be honest after Bruce spünked 40million on Joe Linton can you blame him 🤣

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

What I mean to say is that all the logical arguments you make about "why Newcastle" suggest that they won't simply be bankrolled to the ridiculous lengths the Newcastle fans are bragging about. 

If I had 300 billion I would be buying somewhere I wanted to visit every other weekend potentially. Newcastle is not a nice place for that. 

They are not coming over every 2 weeks, catching the train from St Pancreas and staying in a travelodge for the weekend.

Look at Leicester, if they can bring more success to Newcastle than that, and there's every reason to think they can. then they aren't concerned about what the walk home from the ground is like.

lol

10 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

They are not coming over every 2 weeks, catching the train from St Pancreas and staying in a travelodge for the weekend.

Look at Leicester, if they can bring more success to Newcastle than that, and there's every reason to think they can. then they aren't concerned about what the walk home from the ground is like.

lol

Surely they will want a little stroll around to stretch the legs lol 

On 09/10/2021 at 11:07, SiJ said:

They're all pigs in the trough and now one of the pigs got considerably fatter.

The main driving force behind this will be the top/big clubs, as their is a new competitor in the league now; one that threatens to take up one of those cherished Champions League spots.

Super league anyone? 

Watch this space.

There are no ethics in football when it comes to club ownership.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

lol

Correct…..

It’s Kings Cross for the Newcastle train.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Perhaps they're developing an alcohol-free Brown Ale.

• Like 1

With this takeover what is to stop Newcastle moving their day to day operations and training base somewhere else? Could they be the first club to set up a training base and have all their players live in a different country and then just fly them over the day before a game? 

Newcastle to Malaga is about a three hour flight. Newcastle to Paris probably half that. If they feel that is the best way to attract the big names then maybe it's something they look into. Money is clearly going to be no object.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Adem Poric said:

With this takeover what is to stop Newcastle moving their day to day operations and training base somewhere else? Could they be the first club to set up a training base and have all their players live in a different country and then just fly them over the day before a game? 

Newcastle to Malaga is about a three hour flight. Newcastle to Paris probably half that. If they feel that is the best way to attract the big names then maybe it's something they look into. Money is clearly going to be no object.

I’ve been going on about this for years, it’s an excellent idea to attract players

3 hours ago, Roscoe P. Coltrane said:

Lampard in the frame 

Relegation confirmed 🤣🤣🤣

lol 

19 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

Zaha would be a great first marquee signing for them 

Good shout, I think alot will depend on which manager they can attract. Alot of people are saying Antonio Conte

If so, he's got experience of the premier league and will be well aware of Zaha.

If Conte re-signs players he's previously bought - he could go in for Ross Barkley, Marcos Alonso, Angelo Ogbonna.

Ward Prowse is also prime for a big move.

5 hours ago, Adem Poric said:

Did one off the Russian teams do something similar?