Newcastle takeover.

56 minutes ago, Sheff74 said:

There was quite a bit of outcry from what I recall, on here and over there, as well as in the media.

George Galloway had a good old rant in an interview too, as he was good friends with  Jamal Khashoggi.

Yes mate, such an outcry, it stopped them from happening! Oh hang on.

My point was that no matter what the fans think, it will happen. I don’t think there is one single football fan ( outside of Qatar) that thinks it’s a good idea to give them the World Cup.

Its all about the £££££

44 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Think Mike Ashley would argue this was because he could not keep up with what other club were spending.

His pockets were not as deep as other club owners.

Similar to what Milan Manderic said at Wednesday that finances in football had got greater then he could afford and he didnt have the resources to push us on to the next level. 

Maybe he shouldn’t have bought a football club then… if your intentions are to improve the club then you’ve either got to be prepared to chuck a fair amount of your own money at it in addition to TV cash, or put the infrastructure in place so the club can be more or less self-sufficient and still be competitive. Ashley did neither, and Newcastle went backwards with him in charge

1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Or he steadied their finances and has just sold them on to owners who could take them to incredible heights 

This is a fair point. They’ve definitely won the football owner lottery. I don’t like Ashley and what he’s done to Newcastle (my family’s club) but they’re certainly in a better position now than they were when he took over - they’ve just had a bit of a miserable time since then, although not as bad as us obviously

Just now, beswetherick said:

Maybe he shouldn’t have bought a football club then… if your intentions are to improve the club then you’ve either got to be prepared to chuck a fair amount of your own money at it in addition to TV cash, or put the infrastructure in place so the club can be more or less self-sufficient and still be competitive. Ashley did neither, and Newcastle went backwards with him in charge

I don't think any club can be self sufficient and compete with clubs at top of the Premier League.
Also Mike Ashley took over Newcastle 15 years ago and people thought money in football was madness then and its gone into overdrive since. Like Covid I don't think anyone could have predicted it before it happened.
I don't think Mike Ashley would win any owner of the year awards but the celebrations he has gone at Newcastle and took over by a load of dodgy Saudis are a bit over the top for me.

1 hour ago, Sheff74 said:

There was quite a bit of outcry from what I recall, on here and over there, as well as in the media.

George Galloway had a good old rant in an interview too, as he was good friends with  Jamal Khashoggi.

George Gallaway can hardly take the moral high ground when he met (many times), and openly supported Saddam Hussain. 

. The man is a complete hypocrite. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, matthefish2002 said:

I don't think any club can be self sufficient and compete with clubs at top of the Premier League.
Also Mike Ashley took over Newcastle 15 years ago and people thought money in football was madness then and its gone into overdrive since. Like Covid I don't think anyone could have predicted it before it happened.
I don't think Mike Ashley would win any owner of the year awards but the celebrations he has gone at Newcastle and took over by a load of dodgy Saudis are a bit over the top for me.

Yeah you’re right in that money has gone mental over the past 10-15 years, and then even more so in the last 5. 

I know it’s only part of the bigger picture but Spurs’ net spend on transfers is probably comparable to Newcastle’s over the last decade or so - it’s possible to run a fairly tight ship if the club’s run properly. Spurs and Newcastle were quite similar when Ashley took over, two big underachieving clubs who’d usually finish top half but wouldn’t seriously challenge for owt. Since then, Spurs have played in a CL final and have a shiny new stadium, whereas Newcastle have been relegated twice. 

Geordies hate Ashley because he’s never shown any ambition at all while treating the club with something bordering on contempt, so while they are a bit of an emotional bunch (my family are Geordies so I know this too well!), I can understand why they’re so pleased to see the back of him

19 minutes ago, beswetherick said:

Yeah you’re right in that money has gone mental over the past 10-15 years, and then even more so in the last 5. 

I know it’s only part of the bigger picture but Spurs’ net spend on transfers is probably comparable to Newcastle’s over the last decade or so - it’s possible to run a fairly tight ship if the club’s run properly. Spurs and Newcastle were quite similar when Ashley took over, two big underachieving clubs who’d usually finish top half but wouldn’t seriously challenge for owt. Since then, Spurs have played in a CL final and have a shiny new stadium, whereas Newcastle have been relegated twice. 

Geordies hate Ashley because he’s never shown any ambition at all while treating the club with something bordering on contempt, so while they are a bit of an emotional bunch (my family are Geordies so I know this too well!), I can understand why they’re so pleased to see the back of him

I can understand it too.

They just want their club to be have a little bit of ambition and hope, it's what we all want as fans.

If we were getting 52k a week and lurking at the bottom of the table, playing tepid football and spending hardly anything when we have one of the biggest attendances in the league, we'd be moaning too. 

You've only got to read 2 or 3 articles on what happened to Jamal Kashoggi to understand how abhorrent the regime is in Saudi Arabia. A regime led by Mohammed Bin Salman who ordered his murder.

Not only did he order a journalist to be killed for speaking out against him he tried to cover it up by having five further people killed to take the blame. 

Their human rights record is also disgraceful. Their treatment of women, restrictions on free speech, torture, executions, etc. Horrendous.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Adem Poric said:

You've only got to read 2 or 3 articles on what happened to Jamal Kashoggi to understand how abhorrent the regime is in Saudi Arabia. A regime led by Mohammed Bin Salman who ordered his murder.

Not only did he order a journalist to be killed for speaking out against him he tried to cover it up by having five further people killed to take the blame. 

Their human rights record is also disgraceful. Their treatment of women, restrictions on free speech, torture, executions, etc. Horrendous.

I’ll agree with some of your post but please explain how they treat women badly

31 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

Forcing certain dress codes on women

Women not allowed to have abortions without permission from men

Women require the permission of a male guardian in order to marry, or divorce

Men still considered the guardian of women

Only 22% of women are employed

Men still need to swear for women in a court of law. 

A woman's work must also be deemed suitable for the female physique and mentality. Women are allowed to work only in capacities in which they can serve women exclusively; there must be no contact or interaction with the opposite gender. A woman's work should not lead to her traveling without a close male relative

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, markg said:

A woman's work must also be deemed suitable for the female physique and mentality. Women are allowed to work only in capacities in which they can serve women exclusively; there must be no contact or interaction with the opposite gender. A woman's work should not lead to her traveling without a close male relative

But apart from that it is great.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, markg said:

Most of what you have posted there is no longer true

• Like 1

2 hours ago, soldierboyblue said:

Didn't you say earlier in the thread you have spent time in Saudi?

Women are controlled from birth until death. They must have a male guardian who gets to make any critical decisions on their behalf.

The guardian system means women can't travel or even apply for a passport, they cant choose a partner and may be forced to marry while still a child, there is a large percentage of women who have been affected by domestic violence. They are also discriminated against in employment, healthcare and multiple other areas.