Newcastle takeover.

4 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

Imagine all that cash and you end up bringing in Howe, an average manager who hasn’t worked in god know how long 

I genuinely don't know what people are expecting. Did people seriously buy into this hype about them going out and getting Mbappe next summer?

Newcastle are sh*te and 6 points adrift in the drop zone. There's a very real possibility they'll be in The Championship before they start thinking about Europe and signing European calibre players. As a club they need to become a functional, relevant Premier League outfit before any managers that fit that description go there, and even with all the money in the world that might be 2-3 years off.

Howe's an average appointment for a club that's currently below average in everything but its bank balance and fanbase at the minute.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I personally think Howe is probably over hyped

But it's a low risk option for him - if he doesn't do well then he can always claim that it was a club too damaged to salvage without a long term strategy (which won't happen) - and there will be a lot of sympathy with that view

If he does okay then his stock rises nicely

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

I genuinely don't know what people are expecting. Did people seriously buy into this hype about them going out and getting Mbappe next summer?

Newcastle are sh*te and 6 points adrift in the drop zone. There's a very real possibility they'll be in The Championship before they start thinking about Europe and signing European calibre players. As a club they need to become a functional, relevant Premier League outfit before any managers that fit that description go there, and even with all the money in the world that might be 2-3 years off.

Howe's an average appointment for a club that's currently below average in everything but its bank balance and fanbase at the minute.

I agree with all that mate, but Howe…

It was only the other day Emery was linked, and his comments today suggest he hasn’t ruled himself out. The other day it was ‘happy at Villarreal’, now it’s ‘well they haven’t made an offer for my services’ 

1 hour ago, FreshOwl said:

I agree with all that mate, but Howe…

It was only the other day Emery was linked, and his comments today suggest he hasn’t ruled himself out. The other day it was ‘happy at Villarreal’, now it’s ‘well they haven’t made an offer for my services’ 

Didn't know that latest about Emery. 

Still, that Emery link never sat right for me. Again, just felt like jumping ahead of any semblance of realism. He won the Europa League last year and is in the CL now. Not sure it would have been the smartest move even if he'd agreed. There's a lot to do there and no harm in trying to run before they can walk.

2 hours ago, scram said:

But it's a low risk option for him - if he doesn't do well then he can always claim that it was a club too damaged to salvage without a long term strategy (which won't happen) - and there will be a lot of sympathy with that view

The guy couldn't handle moving from Bournemouth to Burnley. Now he'll work with the Saudi warlords. Yeah, sounds like a great match. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, scram said:

Agree clever move for Howe to go there, but bizarre decision from them.  An over hyped manager who had success taking Bournemouth up when they splashed the cash.  Only other job on his CV was a failure.

Likes to play attractive football but his side's leak goals and are poor defensively.

Really needed an experienced head to sort them out and give them a chance to stay up and build with new manager in summer.

For me it's now Newcastle and Norwich two cheers for relegation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shezza said:

The guy couldn't handle moving from Bournemouth to Burnley. Now he'll work with the Saudi warlords. Yeah, sounds like a great match. 

As i said - it's low risk for him

And he also needs to get back into football - the game moves on and leaves people behind - like Curbishley

And wilder if he's not careful

Big transfer window for whoever comes in.

Would be interesting to see how they approach it.

Do they be sensible, bring in players to bridge the gap and secure safety. Or will they end up signing a loads of high earners, end up with a disjointed team and get relegated.

i hope the latter. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Skyline said:

Big transfer window for whoever comes in.

Would be interesting to see how they approach it.

Do they be sensible, bring in players to bridge the gap and secure safety. Or will they end up signing a loads of high earners, end up with a disjointed team and get relegated.

i hope the latter. 

I think they'll go for players out of contract in the summer who are good solid premier league players, not quite top tier but good for being a solid premier league team

James Ward Prowse and players of that kind of quality