We would be MUCH better without Bannan

This probably counts as exaggerating for effect but I reckon you could argue that Bannan is the best player in the squad technically (by some distance, in my opinion) but the worst from a tactical perspective.

He’s a bit too Hollywood sometimes isn’t he? On the ball there’s a few too many raking 40 yard passes which go adrift (while I’ve noticed that Wing’s long passes tend to hit the mark), or shots from distance that occasionally go in like against Donny but more often end up in the bottom of the Lepp. And that’s without getting into the argument about whether he’s better playing from deep or much higher up.

Then off the ball he’s sort of similar to Hutch, in that he tends to charge around trying to press on his own, fly into tackles and win the ball back high up - again, it’s all very Hollywood and it looks great when it comes off but it means as a team we can’t hold our shape.

Does that mean we’re better off without him in the team? Don’t know if I’d go that far. Someone pass me a cushion, I’m getting a sore backside from sitting on this fence.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

25 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

I don't think they have a bunch of analysts giving opinions. Most likely an algorithm that takes all the data and generates the score. Not perfect and can give false scores due to tippy tappy passes etc. but useful when comparing players objectively, rather than with our own conformational bias. I know in the past I have often judged Reach and bannan by a higher standing and feel they had bad games when in fact they have been middle of the pack. 

Any credence that site has was lost when the included Dunkley 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Willow Owl said:

Well according to whoscored Wing is 9th in our squad for pass completion this season no assists and no goals. They even state is weakness is passing. 
Can’t see how that justifies him starting before Bannan in my opinion.

I agree, he's been very underwhelming from an attacking perspective. I was very impressed with other aspects yesterday, probably his best game for us without necessarily playing to his strengths. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Paul.. said:

Which was down to the workrate and movement of the team last night, not down to Bannan not playing. As soon as the ball is on the way to him he's looking around to see who to pass to, the problem is in recent weeks there's been nobody in space, nobody running, nobody working hard to make something happen.

It was down to Bannan not playing, we did not have to suffer his stupid little twists and turns and garbage free kicks and corners.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

(while I’ve noticed that Wing’s long passes tend to hit the mark)

Not last night, his long passing was very poor. 14 long passes attempted, only 5 completed, even our keeper managed to complete 8 of his 20! A lot of the time Wing had the ball in space and he just hoofed it out of play or back to them under little pressure.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Willow Owl said:

Totally agree, Some are that desperate to blame Bannan that they ignore the facts. Result aside, Last night we played fine for 20/25 mins second half just like all other games this season ( apart from Plymouth ). The rest of the game Wigan were well on top and we rode our luck.

1- Our ball possession stats were the worst of the season 36% !
2- Our number of passes were the worst this season 239 compared to 450 from Wigan !

3- Our pass completion rate was the worst of the season 130 Wigan 370 ! 
4- Our keeper was man of match 

5- Set pieces free kicks were no better !

6- Did anyone in midfield perform well enough to keep Bannan out, absolutely no way.

The reason we looked more dangerous was because we tweaked the system and played Patterson closer to Gregory.

But according to some it’s all okay to drop Bannan ( our best player by miles) because the team ran about a bit more. 

Why not try running and closing down more with your best player also in the side. Not rocket science mate is it. 

RESULT ASIDE !  its all about the result.

A) possession worst of season we won.

B) number of passes, lowest, of the season , compared to keeping the ball in our own half , going across and back but not producing anything, and allowing the other team to settle into a good shape.

C) pass completion 130  Wigan 370, final score  2-1 to the team with fewer passes.

and finally

results from last night Burton 2 - Pompey 1  ( 31%- - 69% ) possession  won , game lost

Cambridge 0-  Gillingham 2 ( 57% - 43% ) ""              ""                ""

Charlton   1  - Bolton 4   (52%- 48%)    ""                   ""                    ""

Morecombe  2 Lincoln 0   (44% - 56%)     ""             ""                    ""

Rotherham 3  Wimbledon 0   (46%- 54%)     "          ""                     ""

Shrewsbury  1   - Wycombe 3      (53%- 47%)    "       "                   ""

Its not about most possession its about what you do with it, and with BB in the side we dont  get it into the right areas quickly enough , and we dont have players encouraged to get into the box and take risks .

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Guest HillsboroughOwlNI

We won last night against the team top of the league. We should therefore start with the same side on Saturday. If we struggle, then we look at bringing Bannan on. But why should we switch winning players out for losing ones? Not very motivational to anyone dropped.

3 hours ago, Willow Owl said:

Well according to whoscored Wing is 9th in our squad for pass completion this season no assists and no goals. They even state is weakness is passing. 
Can’t see how that justifies him starting before Bannan in my opinion.

Yet PW had him buzzing  at Rotherham & we were happy he came.....so why cant DM get a tune out of him?

Guest Willow Owl
2 hours ago, nethertonowl said:

RESULT ASIDE !  its all about the result.

A) possession worst of season we won.

B) number of passes, lowest, of the season , compared to keeping the ball in our own half , going across and back but not producing anything, and allowing the other team to settle into a good shape.

C) pass completion 130  Wigan 370, final score  2-1 to the team with fewer passes.

and finally

results from last night Burton 2 - Pompey 1  ( 31%- - 69% ) possession  won , game lost

Cambridge 0-  Gillingham 2 ( 57% - 43% ) ""              ""                ""

Charlton   1  - Bolton 4   (52%- 48%)    ""                   ""                    ""

Morecombe  2 Lincoln 0   (44% - 56%)     ""             ""                    ""

Rotherham 3  Wimbledon 0   (46%- 54%)     "          ""                     ""

Shrewsbury  1   - Wycombe 3      (53%- 47%)    "       "                   ""

Its not about most possession its about what you do with it, and with BB in the side we dont  get it into the right areas quickly enough , and we dont have players encouraged to get into the box and take risks .

We won because we were lucky, and the keeper made 4/5 great saves. My point is we were no better without Bannan and our overall performance stats were worse.

Who in that midfield would keep Bannan out and why?

Guest Willow Owl
54 minutes ago, parajack said:

Yet PW had him buzzing  at Rotherham & we were happy he came.....so why cant DM get a tune out of him?

I’m not the manager, but hasn’t affected the 8 above him passing wise. 

9 minutes ago, Willow Owl said:

We won because we were lucky, and the keeper made 4/5 great saves. My point is we were no better without Bannan and our overall performance stats were worse.

Wing because we won and we haven’t done that for several matches. Keep a winning team. Bannan needs to train well and force his way back in now.  Needs to win his place back. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Guest Willow Owl
4 minutes ago, stanningtonowl said:

Wing because we won and we haven’t done that for several matches. Keep a winning team. Bannan needs to train well and force his way back in now.  Needs to win his place back. 

Wing ? No goals no assists this season, 9th in passing stats. The midfield last night was over run for 2/3rds of the game. Bannan walks back in despite the win against Wigan. 

1 hour ago, Willow Owl said:

Adeniran and Bannan should play every game. Then between Byers and Wing it’s fairly close.

Hutch should only play CB except in emergencies.

Not only is Hutch not good enough in CM, it’ll shorten his season. Why ruin one of our only 3 CBs? We all know he’ll break down in CM. I’ve discounted Gibson on the basis I think he’s a mirage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I don't know if we are better with or without Bannan. He is excellent on his day but I do think he slows our attacks down. That means the defence is back in position and ready for us. Last night we moved the ball quickly, more players took responsibility for moving the ball rather than looking for Bannan. I'm not sure if that is their fault for taking the easy option or Bannans for demanding the ball.

On the evidence of last night I'd like to see us 'rest' Bannan for the next game and see if Wigan was just a fluke. Have Bannan on the bench in case he's needed.

I have seen situations in the past where having a player who is head and shoulders above all the rest of the team can result in the team being worse than it is without that player. The other players expect the star to do the business and rely on him too much.

There's no doubt Bannan has been an exceptional player for us since he arrived and we owe him a lot. He also seems to love it here.

5 hours ago, Paul.. said:

Remind me how many we scored off free kicks and corners last night? They were hardly any better without Bannan taking them.

Didn't our first goal come from a free kick or was I watching a different game. hutch took the free kick the defender out it in his own net.😁😁😁😁

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Willow Owl said:

What God given right does Bannan have to start, he has Managed just 1 goal and 1 assist in 8 league games thats very average, Dennis has more goals and assist and that does not include the two shots he had that Gregory scored from the rebounds.

Bannan for me needs to realise his level of performance of late has not been good enough, his free kicks and corners are awful for our most gifted technical player. He needs to up his level of consistency or get used to watching games from the bench.

• Like 3
  • Love 2