We would be MUCH better without Bannan

It's becoming a little clearer to me now. 

Bazza is still a good midfielder and could play a part in a side in the championship. The problem is sometimes systems and style of play needs to be changed and some players just don't fit in, it makes the team as a whole not click the same. 

It's a bit like when we broke up the early 90's team of big Ron and got rid of sheridan. We wanted more energy and quicker passing and pressing. The likes of sheridan and Pearson just didn't fit what the manager wanted to do,so he moved them on. 

Bazza would've been far better getting himself a championship club and letting us push the full reset on how we play as a team.

OK so I wasn't really a fan of his, but Remember Reach under jos when everyone including bazza was out injured long term. He stepped up, he scored goals, created goals, ran his socks off. As soon as bazza and the others came back his form dipped and he wasn't the same again apart from an odd flash here and there. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest Willow Owl
11 minutes ago, flash said:

Yes I agree that it did help with Wigan’s approach on Tuesday.

Personally I thought Wings contribution was average on Wigan but he got stuck in and gave us a little presence in CM. He played better against Ipswich the game before. For me reflecting on the past 2 performances I don’t think I’d be dropping Wing

Regardless I do think Moore will bring him on Saturday. 

Apart from 20 mins in the second half though Flash we were over run in midfield. The win masks over our keeper had to make 4/5 great saves to keep us in it.

On 27/09/2021 at 21:34, Willow Owl said:

Cannot believe some fans actually believe we would be better off without Bannan. 
I agree we need some alternatives on set pieces but he is still, by a long stretch our best player.

I’d love to know who they think would be better at this level. 

I don't think it's about any one player being better. For me it is about whether the team as a whole is better. I thought we were better as a team at Wigan but I'm not sure that's all to do with Bannan being on the bench. It could just be that we raised our game.

The issue of whether we are better or worse with or without Bannan won't be settled either way  by one match. It's about the dynamics of the team, it could be we are better with him for some types of games and worse in others. For instance if the game is physical Bannan might be better on the bench but we could be far better with him in none physical games.

This debate will continue for a long time. My current view is Bannan is a great asset but he slows our attacks down. You gain something but at a cost, which is ultimately of greater value? I don't have the answer. Maybe it's down to the manager to get him to move the ball quicker.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Ian said:

The fact is that with Bannan at centre midfield we have slid down the championship and in to league 1. Even in Bannan's early days with us when we were getting in to the play offs he was out wide not central.

Therefore, as you say, he's had a fair crack of the whip (3 seasons) in centre mid and weve gone massively backwards.

And yet despite asking Bannan to be judged on 3 seasons worth of games, you are wanting him brought back based on 90 minutes without him. 90 minutes in which we took 3 points away to the team at the top of teh league.

Bizzare

So every win/draw/loss is purely down to Bannan nothing to do with the other 10 players? Bannan's fault for our keeper's 3 or 4 consecutive errors which cost us points?

• Haha 1

Guest Willow Owl
45 minutes ago, Ian said:

The fact is that with Bannan at centre midfield we have slid down the championship and in to league 1. Even in Bannan's early days with us when we were getting in to the play offs he was out wide not central.

Therefore, as you say, he's had a fair crack of the whip (3 seasons) in centre mid and weve gone massively backwards.

And yet despite asking Bannan to be judged on 3 seasons worth of games, you are wanting him brought back based on 90 minutes without him. 90 minutes in which we took 3 points away to the team at the top of teh league.

Bizzare

In those last 3 seasons Bannan has been our best player by far, what’s Bizarre is thinking Bannan is the reason where we are now and that after one game, yes one game of 96 mins and a win at Wigan we are better off without him. 

Bizarre !!!

Guest Willow Owl
34 minutes ago, Paul.. said:

So every win/draw/loss is purely down to Bannan nothing to do with the other 10 players? Bannan's fault for our keeper's 3 or 4 consecutive errors which cost us points?

It’s pointless trying Paul. One win away at Wigan and all our woes of the last few seasons are all down to Bannan. I’ve never heard so much guff in all my 47 years as a fan. 

Guest Willow Owl
55 minutes ago, Ray Von shabba said:

TBF and so did theirs.

Can remember a couple of saved shots but not as many point blank saves as BPF. Plus the number of times they pumped the ball in the box and things going narrowly wide or cleared for corners.

it was a great win but let’s not kid ourselves it was a great performance and we were better without Bannan. 

3 hours ago, Willow Owl said:

Rotherham scored 4 more goals than us last season. A season we had to if the most anti football managers ever. 
Why can’t you play Bannan in a more direct system ? surely a win win for everyone. Wing was ineffective Tuesday night and created nothing in a more direct system. If as you say stats mean nothing. The major difference was support to Gregory and the fact a team tried to beat us and not commit to eleven behind a ball. 
Nobody has yet been able to say how we were better as a team without Bannan. Running about more and being direct is a formation and style change. Can you not do this with our best player in the team. 

Why? your asking the right Q to the wrong person mate,ask DM or while your at it,ask BB why he drops so deep when even DM has said publicly he wants him further forward..

Does BB have too much influence at S6? who knows....

BB tends to see too much of the ball,(or we as a side give him too much,which is it?)and plays too many sideways and back passes..& this allows our opponents plenty of time to deal with any ball out,or close us down with a high press...

Could we/should we play a more direct way,with 2 up front? stop playing it out? No brainer to me,and just about every commentator/pundit i have heard express a view...

• Like 1

Guest Willow Owl
1 minute ago, Beany71 said:

Willow, did you think the performances have been better with Bannan in the side? 

Seeing as he is always in the top 3 performance wise every game he plays, then yes. Do we have more control in a game then yes( apart from Plymouth ). 

Tuesday was a good win, but the performance overall wasn’t better without him. We tweaked the system to play Patterson closer to Gregory. Maybe we should do the same Saturday but also play Bannan rather than other ineffectual midfielders. 

Just now, Willow Owl said:

Seeing as he is always in the top 3 performance wise every game he plays, then yes. Do we have more control in a game then yes( apart from Plymouth ). 

Tuesday was a good win, but the performance overall wasn’t better without him. We tweaked the system to play Patterson closer to Gregory. Maybe we should do the same Saturday but also play Bannan rather than other ineffectual midfielders. 

Ineffectual midfielders = Bannan.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

I think personally that the performances all season have been poor all season with the exception of 20 minutes here and there, with or without Bannan (as Tuesday). I don't think the re-introduction of Bannan Saturday will suddenly change that, but that said I don't we aren't world beaters without him. Basically we are an average team who I think have potential but it's finding the right tactics and team to unlock that potential. Trying something different can't hurt surely? 

One thing that struck is once we got the second goal you could see the confidence in the team then as soon as we gave away another daft goal the confidence went instantly.

I do think this team needs a run of wins to get everyone's confidence up as I feel again we have another fragile group of players.

11 minutes ago, Willow Owl said:

It’s pointless trying Paul. One win away at Wigan and all our woes of the last few seasons are all down to Bannan. I’ve never heard so much guff in all my 47 years as a fan. 

Its clearly NOT all down to BB its down to insisting on playing in such a way,that cedes the advantage to our opponents straight away,who simply play 'high press'& we as a team cant cope...

BB does play a part in that failure,as he see's so much of the ball,and as many have commented sits too deep,and in my view slows play down,making a bad situation worse....

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Willow Owl said:

You still cannot tell me who would replace him and why? It’s a simple question.

Wing could replace him..he scored 36 times from 73 game's when playing for Shildon...in midfield. .YES it was non league,like a certain SWFC fan playing up the road for Leicester! or choose someone you prefer instead,until others get a run out we simply wont know,or he continues to play & does as you suggest,play further up field,with 2 up front...

But as i feel we will revert to playing out from the back i doubt that will happen either...

• Like 1

Baz is a good player and he influences every game in which he plays. He dictates the tempo and style because he demands the ball so much. He wants to be central to or involved in every play when we transition through the phases. He also takes every set piece (well almost every).

How often do we get a full team performance like we did at Wigan? Wing tried to do a little too much at Wigan but he was everywhere on the night and a central hub throughout the game. Wing isn't a better footballer than Baz, they are about the same (but different). Wing is more effective at moving the ball quickly but plays a little deeper. Baz in his new role will get more assists. Wing can defend and is effective, Baz can't.

Baz works his socks off and we all love that...but I'd keep him back until the game is won at 65 mins...then he can slow things down and ping diagonal balls around to his hearts content.

Just my view...I'm glad we've got both of them but if I had to lose one...it would be Baz.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Willow Owl said:

Name me 1 player in the current squad who has contributed as much as Bannan to our decline over the last 3 seasons

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

Guest Willow Owl
1 hour ago, parajack said:

Wing could replace him..he scored 36 times from 73 game's when playing for Shildon...in midfield. .YES it was non league,like a certain SWFC fan playing up the road for Leicester! or choose someone you prefer instead,until others get a run out we simply wont know,or he continues to play & does as you suggest,play further up field,with 2 up front...

But as i feel we will revert to playing out from the back i doubt that will happen either...

48 minutes ago, Ian said:

Name me 1 player in the current squad who has contributed as much as Bannan to our decline over the last 3 seasons

That’s just a ridiculous post and doesn’t deserve a reply.