We would be MUCH better without Bannan

1 hour ago, Willow Owl said:

Wing ? No goals no assists this season, 9th in passing stats. The midfield last night was over run for 2/3rds of the game. Bannan walks back in despite the win against Wigan. 

Time to try something different? Worked last night. Been none stop moaning/ get rid of the manager threads on here. Can’t hurt. If it doesn’t  go back to Bannan. If it works win win.  

Guest Willow Owl
18 minutes ago, room0035 said:

What God given right does Bannan have to start, he has Managed just 1 goal and 1 assist in 8 league games thats very average, Dennis has more goals and assist and that does not include the two shots he had that Gregory scored from the rebounds.

Bannan for me needs to realise his level of performance of late has not been good enough, his free kicks and corners are awful for our most gifted technical player. He needs to up his level of consistency or get used to watching games from the bench.

Never said he has a god given right to play and whose level has been top draw in last few games. Who would you replace him with and why ?

Guest Willow Owl
10 minutes ago, stanningtonowl said:

Time to try something different? Worked last night. Been none stop moaning/ get rid of the manager threads on here. Can’t hurt. If it doesn’t  go back to Bannan. If it works win win.  

How were our midfield better last night though. 
And if it doesn’t work, all you will here is what manager doesn’t play their best player. 

2 minutes ago, Willow Owl said:

Never said he has a god given right to play and whose level has been top draw in last few games. Who would you replace him with and why ?

I would keep Bannan on the bench players showed more fight last night and the play was not as slow and predictable. Who play instead of him depend on the formation but presumably the same player who replaced him last night in a winning team that scored some goals.

If we don't turn up from the first minute against Oxford at the week end it could be a very painful game to watch, but at £32 to watch them on the South other than season ticket holders and some away fans there won't be much more than 20-21,000 another 19,000 empty seats because of the insane match day prices for 3rd Division football. For another tenner you could watch Barcelona this weekend.😁😁😁😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stanningtonowl said:

Wing because we won and we haven’t done that for several matches. Keep a winning team. Bannan needs to train well and force his way back in now.  Needs to win his place back. 

Bannan doesn't need to win his place back, the choice was to do something different, if it turns out as a team

we play better collectively then no matter how good he does in training he should not be brought back into the

team just because he is a better player, it has to be what is best for the team and more so the results.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Guest Willow Owl
1 minute ago, room0035 said:

I would keep Bannan on the bench players showed more fight last night and the play was not as slow and predictable. Who play instead of him depend on the formation but presumably the same player who replaced him last night in a winning team that scored some goals.

If we don't turn up from the first minute against Oxford at the week end it could be a very painful game to watch, but at £32 to watch them on the South other than season ticket holders and some away fans there won't be much more than 20-21,000 another 19,000 empty seats because of the insane match day prices for 3rd Division football. For another tenner you could watch Barcelona this weekend.😁😁😁😁

Who replaced him last night and how was he better than Bannan ?

Not sure how match day prices come into it 

1 minute ago, Willow Owl said:

How were our midfield better last night though. 
And if it doesn’t work, all you will here is what manager doesn’t play their best player. 

The midfield? Better because it won? Last night was end to end. Quicker, more direct, kept getting up and at ‘em. Not the prettiest but WE WON!!!! Heard on radio Sheffield (I know utter poo , no idea clueless,love utd etc) that the teams towards the top were the fast and at them teams(Sunderland, Rotherham, Plymouth). We are/were slow and ponderous and struggling. 
I’m not a Bannan fan. Not been for a long time so I am biased. Loves a back pass, loves to preen, loves to chase a loose ball back to the keeper and get claps and his song and do his hair. Crap corners, crap free kicks. Loves a backpass, loves a centre half to pass back to. LOVES A PIROUETTE AND A 80 YARD BALL TO NO ONE. Does play some excellent balls but it just becomes all about him. Wonder what the players would say off the record about last night. I don’t think we missed him. At no point did I say get Bannan on. Said Berahino on for Gregory. Said  Dele-Bashiru. Never once wanted Bannan. Wing is a grafter and team player. Not a peacock. Keep Bannan but see how the team is better without him and offload if needs. 
TL:DR: Worked without Bannan. Try again because last night was better. 

• Like 4
  • Love 5

29 minutes ago, WestBerksOwl said:

Thought Wing was very poor last night with too many long balls to no one in particular. A lot of running around not achieving very much.

I prefer Bannan in the side, just need to stop him taking the set pieces 🙂

Thought Wing played pretty well myself.  

Linked up well with Adeniran and definitely put a shift in.  He also got stuck in, put some good challenges in combined with some nice through balls which Adeniran thrived on.  

We haven't seen the best of him yet, but certainly a step in the right direction. 

• Like 4
  • Love 4

Guest Willow Owl
24 minutes ago, stanningtonowl said:

The midfield? Better because it won? Last night was end to end. Quicker, more direct, kept getting up and at ‘em. Not the prettiest but WE WON!!!! Heard on radio Sheffield (I know utter poo , no idea clueless,love utd etc) that the teams towards the top were the fast and at them teams(Sunderland, Rotherham, Plymouth). We are/were slow and ponderous and struggling. 
I’m not a Bannan fan. Not been for a long time so I am biased. Loves a back pass, loves to preen, loves to chase a loose ball back to the keeper and get claps and his song and do his hair. Crap corners, crap free kicks. Loves a backpass, loves a centre half to pass back to. LOVES A PIROUETTE AND A 80 YARD BALL TO NO ONE. Does play some excellent balls but it just becomes all about him. Wonder what the players would say off the record about last night. I don’t think we missed him. At no point did I say get Bannan on. Said Berahino on for Gregory. Said  Dele-Bashiru. Never once wanted Bannan. Wing is a grafter and team player. Not a peacock. Keep Bannan but see how the team is better without him and offload if needs. 

We looked better going forward because we played Patterson closer to Gregory, But the midfield was over run for majority of the game and we had an own goal and a great strike from Patterson to win the game. Wing is a grafter !! no goals and no assists and 9th in our passing stats for the season, He’s created nothing. 
Why not try same formation,  same graft on Saturday but with our best player ( Bannan) in the team. 

8 minutes ago, Willow Owl said:

We looked better going forward because we played Patterson closer to Gregory, But the midfield was over run for majority of the game and we had an own goal and a great strike from Patterson to win the game. Wing is a grafter !! no goals and no assists and 9th in our passing stats for the season, He’s created nothing. 
Why not try same formation,  same graft on Saturday but with our best player ( Bannan) in the team. 

Perhaps he’s the best player, but last night was the best team? 

• Like 3
  • Love 4

Dunkley is the massive weak link in that side. So putting Hutchinson back to CB opens up a chance for Bannan to get back in that way, but a more attacking option would be to bring Shodipo in for Dunkley, Hutch to back and Adrenian into CM with Wing and let Bannan work his way back in, like he should have to.

If you watch that game back, yes Dunkley wins enough headers and that is what many will see. However, he got caught flat footed three times in the second half. I think one of them was the one where BPF saved well and Iorfa almost got back despite starting off miles behind Dunkley. There were two other occasions too, he always gets caught by runners because he is too slow and flat footed. We can't have him playing to many games this season if we want to get promoted imo.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CourteenerOwl said:

Dunkley is the massive weak link in that side. So putting Hutchinson back to CB opens up a chance for Bannan to get back in that way, but a more attacking option would be to bring Shodipo in for Dunkley, Hutch to back and Adrenian into CM with Wing and let Bannan work his way back in, like he should have to.

If you watch that game back, yes Dunkley wins enough headers and that is what many will see. However, he got caught flat footed three times in the second half. I think one of them was the one where BPF saved well and Iorfa almost got back despite starting off miles behind Dunkley. There were two other occasions too, he always gets caught by runners because he is too slow and flat footed. We can't have him playing to many games this season if we want to get promoted imo.

Spot on 

Dunkley is a weak link and Hutchinson cannot play regularly in midfield plus he is miles better at centre back 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, 83owl said:

How do you know we would have had the “extra energy” with BB in the side?

Lets face it pretty much every week we say the players look lethargic and lacking energy during games? 

I don’t know. I’m just making it up, like everyone else is. It’s all just opinions. I’ll let you (and everyone else) into a secret. I’m not really an expert on football. I just watch it and then write what I think. I don’t actually ‘know’ anything at all! 
Im not even really a Sheffield Wednesday fan. I was originally just interested in stalking Owls! The next think I know I’m on here, watching football games and writing about Barry Bannan…

And I still haven’t found the best way to stalk an Owl. FFS…

12 hours ago, room0035 said:

Didn't our first goal come from a free kick or was I watching a different game. hutch took the free kick the defender out it in his own net.😁😁😁😁

9 hours ago, marconi said:

One, the first goal.

Ok then, Hutch to take all freekicks and corners! 😉

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Paul.. said:

Ok then, Hutch to take all freekicks and corners! 😉

Don't think that's what people are actually saying though.

Think it's more about different options with different players.

BTW it WAS a freak goal but I'll take one every game.

Edited by Ray Von shabba

BB....much has been discussed about him,in multiple threads..I feel i can add little new,what cant be ignored are our obvious limitations as a team,and our poor goal scoring record and overall lack of creating chances...

I feel thats down to the way we are playing it out,BB dropping too deep,and an over reliance on him throughout the game.(and of course leaving Gregory over exposed as a lone striker)

For me BB is one of a number of players who spent far too long here,without the Club seeing any success.

To re contract him,where it hasn't led to us getting anywhere was for me,just to replicate previous failure...

I think BB needed a new challenge,to bring the best out of him..& to progress his career...& we needed new fresh faces without the baggage of previous failure.

Whilst BB is here others are having to play under his shadow,and may not get the opportunity or feel comfortable enough to become our next play maker...

BB has done nothing wrong,I simply think sometimes that  after 7 years we need something different....

• Like 4
  • Love 1

12 hours ago, Willow Owl said:

What is this best player nonsense?  ...we have to look at how a players skills gell with others,as a team....

No point debating BB skills,but is Div 3 the place to platform it?...he has been here 7 years...

No point being the best Player in a team that performs poorly and cant create scoring chances...

Thats like  the pointless comparison of 'possession' stats...

PW got a tune out of Wing last year.& he was highly rated.....So whats happening here with our coaching team?...

is it the way we set up? play?...

12 hours ago, stanningtonowl said:

Great post mate,totally agree,play 2 up front,be more direct,get the ball forward quicker,and more often,and defend by attacking in the opponents final third....

Its Div 3 FFS  

When players at this level are put under pressure we see the sort of unforced errors we saw at Wigan...they make mistakes,give fouls away for free kicks & penaltys   make individual errors...

Rather than it being our Players  making those mistakes in front of our goal trying to play a systym  that leads itself to stuff, lets do this to our opponents..

I am really dreading our next match,where it should be an absolute no brainer to keep the same team & tactics  but  fear we go back to  the meaningless rolling out and passing sideways and back that went before....

• Like 4
  • Love 1